PDA

View Full Version : any problems with VOIPo and AT&T MicroCell?

TomP
03-05-2011, 06:23 PM
We have AT&T for our cell provider & just got a letter from them offering us a free 3G MicroCell (may help with the lousy cell reception we get). I was wondering if others have both a VOIPo ATA and a MicroCell behind the same router/broadband connection & if they've run into any problems with the two working alongside each other? Just wanted to check before I agree to the offer. Thanks!

stevech
03-05-2011, 07:02 PM
We have AT&T for our cell provider & just got a letter from them offering us a free 3G MicroCell (may help with the lousy cell reception we get). When can you switch carriers, e.g., Verizon?

I just upgraded to Verizon Wireless' LTE 4G. It's so far providing 9-11Mbps down and 7Mbps or more up, same price as 3G CDMA. I have an LTE modem (LG) in USB form, plugged into a Cradlepoint MBR900 WiFi router as the fall-back. VoIPo worked fine via LTE.

TomP
03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
When can you switch carriers, e.g., Verizon?

Not for a while, just signed up last summer. I also don't want to lose the ability to be on a call & use the internet at the same time. But thanks for the info!

holmes4
03-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Um, that's really something quite different. And if you have LTE you're in one of a handful of cities. I assume TomP already has some sort of broadband Internet service otherwise he would not be considering a Microcell.

The question is whether the Microcell and the ATA can coexist. I don't see why not.

stevech
03-05-2011, 07:43 PM
right. Verizon has built out about 30 major cities. The cellular industry calls these "the NFL cities". The low hanging fruit.
The LTE modems fall back to 3G (EV-DO) when there's no LTE coverage.

I travel a lot on my job and voice coverage any/everywhere is important. I was forced to use Sprint for two years; happy that's over, as their coverage is comparatively poor.

I have a HTC Incredible Android on Verizon. I must say that using the Internet and doing a simultaneous voice call is something I've not needed; not sure how I'd use it. But it's one of those things that you don't know what you don't know, I suppose. Perhaps it comes up if you tether a PC via cellular. My 'Droid will tether by USB for free (by WiFi costs), but I don't use it much, as I have the USB modem to plug into my PC or into my travel router.

TomP
03-05-2011, 07:52 PM
I assume TomP already has some sort of broadband Internet service otherwise he would not be considering a Microcell.

The question is whether the Microcell and the ATA can coexist. I don't see why not.

Correct. I have broadband & just want to make sure the MicroCell & VOIPo ATA will play nice together. Note that I'm currently forwarding the recommended ports to the ATA via the router. Anyone know if the MicroCell uses any of the same ports?

sr98user
03-06-2011, 03:39 PM
If you are forwarding ports (80% of UDP ports), I would think there is a good chance that you might have some problems.

But looking at the information below

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3626/att-3g-microcell-a-comprehensive-exploration/4

It looks like it uses an IPSEC tunnel (over UDP port 4500). The port numbers are below 5004. So, you might not have a problem.

holmes4
03-06-2011, 03:52 PM
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/the_amazing_new_att_microcell_part_ii/ seems to have the info you want.

TomP
03-06-2011, 03:55 PM
If you are forwarding ports (80% of UDP ports), I would think there is a good chance that you might have some problems.

But looking at the information below

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3626/att-3g-microcell-a-comprehensive-exploration/4

It looks like it uses an IPSEC tunnel (over UDP port 4500). The port numbers are below 5004. So, you might not have a problem.

Thanks for the URL! All my VOIPo port forwarding is above 5004, so this looks okay.