PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 and RT31P2 incompatability?

MarkTomlinson
03-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Thought I'd throw this out to the community to see if anyone else has seen this. My wife's Windows 7 (32bit) box can't browse the Internet through the VOIPo supplied Linksys RT31P2. Here are the details.

I bricked my WRT160N (don't ask), so I promoted the RT31P2 to be the gateway router. I get better call quality this way, so I thought I'd like to keep this set-up. But since then, her PC can not browse the Internet.

Her PC shows an Internet connection and can resolve DNS. Pings and tracert work as well, so it's only HTTP that is blocked. I removed virus scanners and firewalls to no avail. She's being assigned a valid IP address and her default gateway and subnet are correct. I've even reinstalled Windows. What convinces me it's not her PC is that she can browse just fine when I assign a static IP and put her in the router's DMZ.

Furthermore, my Windows 7 (64bit) PC, my laptop running XP, two Ubuntu boxes, the WII, the Sony television, and our Blu-Ray player are all connecting just fine. In fact, her PC behaves normally when I dual-boot it into Ubuntu.

So obviously it's some incompatibility between Windows 7 on her PC and the RT31P2. But what?

Thought I'd explore it with you guys before I go the BYOD route.

stevech
03-10-2011, 08:59 PM
IMO: no quality difference between that RT31P2 and a contemporary WiFi router + ATA on the LAN side. QoS management for VoIP in the router probably not needed unless you have rater slow DSL service and do a lot of Netflix.

I have a cable modem with gobs of bandwitdh so it's a non-issue.

MarkTomlinson
03-10-2011, 10:48 PM
IMO: no quality difference between that RT31P2 and a contemporary WiFi router + ATA on the LAN side. QoS management for VoIP in the router probably not needed unless you have rater slow DSL service and do a lot of Netflix.

I have a cable modem with gobs of bandwitdh so it's a non-issue.

I have a cable, too. But I use VOIPo a lot when I'm working from home on a conference call, with the VPN to work running, Pandora, a web server, NAS, and my wife streaming God knows what. So I thought I'd fool with QoS and bricked my router trying to load Tomato because DD-WRT sucks at QoS.

Anyway, it's just simpler to put the RT31P2 as my gateway so the ATA is ahead of the firewall. I bridged a cheap wireless Belkin behind it and called it a day.

I'd like to keep this configuration, but not if I have to put my wife's PC in the DMZ. Besides the obvious, I really dislike static IPs on Windows boxes. So if no one sees anything obvious I overlooked, I'm considering either talking VOIPo out of a Grandstream or going the BYOD route.