PDA

View Full Version : No Caller ID on outbound calls

BarbJaw
03-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Any outbound calls from my VoipO number shows up as "Unknown" or "Private Caller" or something to that effect? It seems to be a VoipO problem as this shows up on Google Voice, Sprint Cell Phone, Skype and Go To Meeting.

I have a ticket logged but 10 hours so far and no response. XUC-423775

tirurv
03-12-2011, 06:13 PM
I have noticed that I am also experiencing the same problem since yesterday (03/11/2011). One of the recipient mentioned that they see the caller id as "Withheld". Not sure what that means.

Created a new support ticket SZY-490783.

VOIPoTim
03-12-2011, 06:23 PM
We have had several reports of this and have isolated it to a particular upstream carrier partner (Bandwidth.com) and calls to certain areas they serve. This occurs when that partner is the carrier delivering calls to the destination after they leave the VOIPo network.

We have reported this issue to them and are waiting for them to resolve it as the issue is on their network.

Once resolved, all caller IDs should be sent normally (unless you block it).

tirurv
03-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks for your quick response, Tim.

I am also noticing that most of my outbound calls get a "busy" signal, as soon as I dial the number. Do you think, this behavior is also something to do with that upstream carrier?

VOIPoTim
03-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks for your quick response, Tim.

I am also noticing that most of my outbound calls get a "busy" signal, as soon as I dial the number. Do you think, this behavior is also something to do with that upstream carrier?

No, that's likely unrelated. I'd recommend opening a support ticket for that. My guess is that a router is blocking our audio stream so once the call connects and the audio starts, it doesn't get through, but support can verify for you and help you resolve.

Just contact support@voipo.com about it.

stevech
03-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Does VoIPo add/change providers (e.g., Bandwidth.com) frequently? Spot market for prices? If so, is there a "qualified service provider process" to screen them?

VOIPoTim
03-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Does VoIPo add/change providers (e.g., Bandwidth.com) frequently? Spot market for prices? If so, is there a "qualified service provider process" to screen them?

Absolutely. Upstream providers are always changing for pretty much any VoIP provider that's running a profitable business. If a provider doesn't always optimizing routing as the market changes or uses a single carrier to deliver all calls, it would be almost impossible for them to be profitable. Pricing differences for the same exact US destination between carriers can be a 3000% difference or more. As an example, calls to a destination may quite literally be $0.001 vs $0.03 per minute depending on the carrier used to deliver the call and that price changes all the time (especially when peering is involved). As a general rule of thumb, different carriers are more competitive in different regions.

We only work with high-quality carrier partners. Bandwidth.com (provider experiencing this issue) has been one of our main carrier partners since 2006. They also handle traffic for Google Voice, Skype, etc.

energyx
03-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Ditto on the outbound ID problem. Seeing on almost all calls.

stevech
03-13-2011, 07:08 PM

Me too, but only certain calls, one being a call to an AT&T POTS landline number.
See post #3 in thread
http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=2870

VOIPoTim
03-14-2011, 09:15 AM
We are told that this is resolved. If you were experiencing this problem, please retest now.

stevech
03-14-2011, 11:00 AM
If this is because VoIPo is using a new service provider, or a new offering from an incumbent, can't VoIPo do quality assurance tests for that provider before going live with it? In general, the VoIP market has far, far too many avoidable self-inflected problems.

burris
03-14-2011, 11:40 AM
If this is because VoIPo is using a new service provider, or a new offering from an incumbent, can't VoIPo do quality assurance tests for that provider before going live with it? In general, the VoIP market has far, far too many avoidable self-inflected problems.

I'm not answering for Tim, but having come from the POTS world, I think I'm qualified to comment.
Every provider has a network operating center(NOC) and is constantly checking the carriers for connectivity. This is not an absolute science, since those carriers are also checking down the line for the same things.
Assuming all is well at the moment, all providers are looking at the rates those carriers are charging.
Because of the nature of telephony, the companies are looking for the best prices consistent with the quality...AT THE MOMENT.
A good route today goes down because a tractor somewhere cut a fibre line...or a tech at a POP somewhere in the world fell asleep.
To sum up...there is no absolute. They stay on top and when a route goes bad, hope that another route is immediately available to switch to.
Couple this entire adventure with the fact that this is VOIP and is also at the mercy of those companies transporting your packets to them to send on and it reveals a very complex situation.

That Tim does and has provided the quality and consistancy and price of his service we experience, this is a tribute.

stevech
03-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the comment, but it doesn't speak to the issue I raised, that being:
"can't VoIPo do quality assurance tests for that provider before going live with it?"
We are customers, not guinea pigs.

The point is using a carrier that takes the call, creates the connection and flow, but doesn't pass ANI (CID). For many VoIPo customers. The cut-fiber analogy is N/A.

burris
03-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the comment, but it doesn't speak to the issue I raised, that being:
"can't VoIPo do quality assurance tests for that provider before going live with it?"
We are customers, not guinea pigs.

The point is using a carrier that takes the call, creates the connection and flow, but doesn't pass ANI (CID). For many VoIPo customers. The cut-fiber analogy is N/A.

The issues you raised all related. If you take an in-depth analysis of what transpires from the time you get a dial tone to the time the call connects...in or out, I think you would be amazed at the sheer complexity of the stream.
Stuff does happen. We, many years ago, contracted a number of circuits with ATT because they owned virtually all the pipes at the time...they charged whatever they wanted...they also went down on occasion..so no one is immune.

This may be hard to believe, but most of the network monitoring is done by the customers. They will report immediately when something isn't working and then the process begins to get it fixed.

stevech
03-14-2011, 03:59 PM
The issues you raised all related. If you take an in-depth analysis of what transpires from the time you get a dial tone to the time the call connects...in or out, I think you would be amazed at the sheer complexity of the stream.
Stuff does happen. We, many years ago, contracted a number of circuits with ATT because they owned virtually all the pipes at the time...they charged whatever they wanted...they also went down on occasion..so no one is immune.

This may be hard to believe, but most of the network monitoring is done by the customers. They will report immediately when something isn't working and then the process begins to get it fixed.

with all due respect - all I need is a phone that works to 3 nines for call completion. Due to telemarketers, we all must have CID now. I can pay more for 5 nines from ma bell. I pay less, expect less, in terms of QoS. But try to explain to family members why they can't get through on calls to friends and family with anonymous call block -which many/most of us have now. Believe me, my family does not want to mess with far-too-often VoIP trouble reports. So your assertion that VoIP customers are the QA department is so flawed as to be absurd.