PDA

View Full Version : Is the BYOD device in parallel with existing VOIPo phone?

zippy114
03-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi there,

I have a basic question. If I configure a BYOD SIP softphone (or whatever), how does it really work? Is it basically "in parallel" with the phone that is connected to the VOIPo device? Assuming both devices are properly registered, should i be able to answer an incoming call and/or make a call from either phone?

thanks,

AndyN

usa2k
03-21-2011, 03:57 AM
Yes.

And your main adapter has two lines already if that's all you need.
On the main ATA you can have two simultaneous calls going.

The key difference is the BYOD, or soft phone does not allow international calling, and uses different credentials from the plug&play VOIPo ATA.

VOIPo doe not provide personnel to support BYOD, but there is a user forum here: http://forums.voipo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

pflueger41
03-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Well I use to be able to pick up a incoming call with either the softphone or voipo phone with all incoming calls but now only able to answer with either on the first incoming call and all others with only the softphone and the voipo phone giving a busy signal if I pick it up first while the softphone continues to ring . If I close the softphone and reopen the same cycle, first incoming both can answer , anything after that only the softphone.

mogulman
03-22-2011, 01:39 PM
This is similar to what I am experiencing. I have an HT502. When I have it turned on.. I can only answer calls on the first ring. If I pick up after the first ring, then I get busy signal.

Russell
03-25-2011, 06:06 AM
My gut feeling is that the VOIPo folks are not going to be very sympathetic to having both operational at the same time - there is potential for abuse if all works smoothly. Perhaps you can describe what you're trying to achieve and folks can point out a way to do it without having them in parallel.

laris
12-13-2011, 08:55 PM
You can have a soft phone and your adapter running at the same time. I believe it is only one softphone device at a time though.

Tooth
06-07-2012, 08:17 AM
You can have a soft phone and your adapter running at the same time. I believe it is only one softphone device at a time though.

Is this true? I have my iOS device successfully configured as a VOIPo softphone, but I can't seem to get my wife's Android configured using the sipdroid app. I have my iOS device using port 5061 and tried to configure sipdriod to use 5062. But no dice.

chpalmer
06-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Is this true? I have my iOS device successfully configured as a VOIPo softphone, but I can't seem to get my wife's Android configured using the sipdroid app. I have my iOS device using port 5061 and tried to configure sipdriod to use 5062. But no dice.

Are you connected through your home network when you try this?

budmaster
06-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Hi there,

I have a basic question. If I configure a BYOD SIP softphone (or whatever), how does it really work? Is it basically "in parallel" with the phone that is connected to the VOIPo device? Assuming both devices are properly registered, should i be able to answer an incoming call and/or make a call from either phone?

thanks,

AndyN

Both make and receive calls just fine. First one to answer gets the call.

ymhee_bcex
06-10-2012, 12:26 PM
I had VOIPo-issued and BYOD adapter on simultaneously (not intentionally - but it made a good test). The voice quality was terrible. Once I disconnected BYOD device - the problem went away. "BYOD" adapter is still on the network, and registered to a different provider; just disconnected from VOIPo

Tooth
06-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Are you connected through your home network when you try this?

Yes, I have my VOIPo provided ATA connected to my home network (in front of wireless router) and I'm also connecting my iOS device and Android devices to the same network via wifi. I made sure my iOS SIP softphone was not registered to the VOIPo network and then tried to register the Andrioid device using the Sipdriod app. With sipdriod, I can make outbound calls but it won't ring for inbound calls. I played around with all the configuration settings and I can't see that I've done anything incorrectly. Then, I tried using the CSipSimple app and I was able to make outbound calls, plus inbound calls successfully rang the Android device but voice quality on the inbound calls was really bad and those calls were usually dropped in short order.

Since my wife's Android phone is a T-Mobile device and the native "internet calling" feature in Gingerbread has been disabled, I wonder if this has any bearing on my ability to configure and operate 3rd party sip apps like Sipdroid or CSipSimple?

Tooth
06-14-2012, 10:28 AM
I was able to use the root browser app to modify the permissions on my wife's phone and enable the native SIP feature ("internet calling") on my wife's android running gingerbread 2.3.6. I'm able to successfully register the softphone and outbound calls work perfectly, but when inbound calls are answered I can't hear the other party and the other party can't hear me. Then I disabled the native softphone and tried using the cSIPsimple app instead, but I end up with the same results. I've tried various configurations in cSIPsimple including the use of the ICE and STUN settings, but I have had no joy with inbound calls.

Strange thing is that I have configured my iOS device with a softphone application and both inbound and outbound calls work perfectly on it, so it can't be an issue with my home network, right?