PDA

View Full Version : new to the service, and a bit flustered.

genocidex
04-02-2011, 12:49 PM
so i just got my adapter in the mail and tryed hooking it up. when i did i was able to make calls but my internet was completely cut off. after some fiddling around i decided to try back at my original set up to get on the internet and still couldnt. (long story short my isp was to blame). now that i have my internet back up i tried to re-hook up everything. hooked everything up let it power cycle and w8ed 15 mins to be safe. no internet. tryed calling my cell, got a busy signal. but this time when i un-re-hooked it my internet is working fine.

i have my adapter (im seeing its refered to an ata? idk) hooked into my comcast modem, then into my belkin f5d7230-4 then that hooked up to my acient p4 desktop. i use it mainly just for it being there and im using my laptop far more than that relic.
i do plan on forwarding my number, i was about to fax the info over on monday.

any advice?

chpalmer
04-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Is your modem a gateway?

What is your network made up of?

genocidex
04-02-2011, 01:32 PM
my network consists of just what i mentioned. my modem (from comcast) belkin router, desktop, laptop. and useually my android.
how do i know if my modem is a gateway?

im not computer dumb but i did fail all my networking classes in school. so im network stupid lol

chpalmer
04-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Model numbers...

genocidex
04-02-2011, 02:14 PM
router: belkin model# f5d7230-4 ver. 1444
modem: motorola model# sbv5220
ata: grandstream model# ht502

is that what you are looking for?
sry for not giving you this info right away

genocidex
04-02-2011, 02:25 PM
router: belkin model# f5d7230-4 ver. 1444
ata: grandstream model# ht502

is that what you are looking for?
sry for not giving you this info right away

chpalmer
04-02-2011, 02:49 PM
My guess is that your modem is a combination modem/router, or what the ISP probably refers to as a "gateway"...

Its probably handing out an address to your equipment in the same subnet as your ATA's lan side...

Your Belkin most likely uses another subnet and therefore has worked ok.

You can try changing the address of your ATA or put your modem in bridge mode. (my personal choice).

So that why the request for model numbers...

genocidex
04-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Ive been trying to put up the models and numbers but every time i try it says it uas to be aprooved first.

stevech
04-02-2011, 05:26 PM
many (like me) prefer to have the ATA (adapter) on the LAN side of the home router. This way, all home Internet traffic does *not* flow through the ATA. The home router connects to the cable/DSL modem as usual. The ATA's WAN port connects to a LAN port on the home router. Nothing connects to the LAN port of that ATA.

Some (few) routers need to have port-forwarding settings (virtual server) arranged for the LAN-side ATA. And a router setting for a DHCP reservation for the ATA so it's LAN address (like 192.168.1.x) is unchanging.

usa2k
04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
If the main device connected to the router is changed like HT502 swapped in for Belkin or vice-verse, remember to power down and up the modem so it can register the new device.

genocidex
04-02-2011, 10:58 PM

i have the device hooked into a lan port of my router now. im getting internet but still im getting busy beeps when i try to dial my cell. oh and i power cycled everything when i hooked it up

edit: i just found out i was filtering the wrong mac address. aparently the mac address on the box is different from the one the device stored.... but i added it to the acceptions and its dialing out correctly :) thanks every one

VOIPoTim
04-03-2011, 12:59 AM
edit: i just found out i was filtering the wrong mac address. aparently the mac address on the box is different from the one the device stored.... but i added it to the acceptions and its dialing out correctly :) thanks every one

The LAN and WAN ports both have MAC addresses. The one on adapter is for the LAN port.

If you have any more issues, feel free to contact support. Glad to hear things are up for you now though.