PDA

View Full Version : Device not registered

sr98user
04-08-2011, 06:51 AM
This morning at around 6am I noticed that both lines were not registered. Rebooted ATA and everything was fine.

Again recently, one line was registered and another one was not.. But it came back soon. And I see 4 lines registered in the Devices page..

Anybody else seeing problems this morning.

energyx
04-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Some incoming calls are going busy for me. Call logs are still unavailable from the maintenance.

Mike_TV
04-08-2011, 07:25 AM
In and outbound calls are all going to fast busy right now for me.

bwyatt
04-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Same here. All systems are not working this morning.

VOIPoBrandon
04-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Please reboot and advise if you are still experiencing any issues.

Russell
04-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Please reboot and advise if you are still experiencing any issues.

Wont the device automatically reregister after a period of time and, if so, will that fix it? I too had issues similar to what's described above this morning and the wife is headed home as I write this. I won't be home for many more hours.

VOIPoTim
04-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Wont the device automatically reregister after a period of time and, if so, will that fix it? I too had issues similar to what's described above this morning and the wife is headed home as I write this. I won't be home for many more hours.

Yes, devices will automatically re-register in 99% of cases.

carlquist
04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
My device has alternated between registered and not registered a couple times this morning. Callers to our number continue to receive a fast busy signal.

Why are incoming calls not going to our failover number?

rcc344
04-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Same problem here today. This seems to happen every 7-10 days. I have an open ticket

Outgoing attempts receive the message "Device not Registered". The HT502 shows "Not Registered" on the status page. VPanel shows that the device is registered and the registration renews, but still no service.

Incomming does not complete calls. Callers receive a message "call can not be completed". The incoming call is not sent to failover or email. The VOIPO system doesn't see an unregisterd device, so failover is not sent. Don't know why it is not sent to voicemail.

I'm using BYOD device with the second port on a different provider. That line continues to work properly and has never lost registeration. If the number would failover or voice mail it would be better than limbo.

sr98user
04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Stil having problems with incoming and outgoing after reboot...

rcc344
04-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Is this situation limited to BYOD users? Anyone having the problem with VOIPO device?

sr98user
04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
I am not a BYOD user.

It seems like outgoing/incoming is working now.

VOIPoTim
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
We have seen some intermittent problems this morning while our engineers have been working to restore all past call logs.

As a result, we are going to delay call log restoration and do that during off peak hours tonight.

Everything should be back to normal now with the exception of some past calls missing from your call logs. Those will be restored during off-peak times during the next 24-48 hours.

Mike_TV
04-08-2011, 10:57 AM
In and outbound calls now working for me.

VOIPOinTN
04-08-2011, 11:34 AM
I have the same problem. Spent time earlier in the week with tech support on this issue as provisioning wasn't correct. Will have spouse reboot (the device) and see if it solves the problem.

dcooper
04-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Just to document the issue; I had incoming calls fail over to VM from 11:50 - 12:02, 18:14, and 19:36 today (Dallas time). Between these last two, I tried an outgoing call and it failed, but the call-log indicates that the call went through. I also tried to call in to my number between the last two instances, and was re-routed to fail-over. My wife did make successful outgoing calls between 17:38-17:45.

I did not think to check the device registration until after I had power-cycled the device. It is working after the power-cycle.

Overall, I am pleased with the phone service, especially with the current pricing. My only issue is not fully understanding the available features enough to set them up and really make use of them.

r111
04-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Service has been mostly down and occasionally up for me the last 48 hours. When I can make a call, audio quality is poor. DSL Speedtest shows internet bandwidth is good. Voipo reliability is starting to come into question with me. I have periodic outages, log tickets, get same advice to reboot, port forward, etc.

VOIPoTim
04-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Service has been mostly down and occasionally up for me the last 48 hours. When I can make a call, audio quality is poor. DSL Speedtest shows internet bandwidth is good. Voipo reliability is starting to come into question with me. I have periodic outages, log tickets, get same advice to reboot, port forward, etc.

It's pretty rare that we have issues like yesterday. All those issues were cleared up yesterday morning though.

If you're having issues constantly, you may have a bad connection to VOIPo or an incompatible router. Open a ticket so it can be addressed.

dcooper
04-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Today, I went to make a phone call, but had no dial-tone on line1, but line2 did. I have a cordless base station plugged in to line1 and a plain touch-tone phone on line2, just in case... I have had the cordless set for years. I was using T-Mobile 'at-home' for two years, and switched to VOIPo in Jan/Feb of this year The only difference is the addition of the pots on the second line, just because I could.

I am connected to Verizon FIOS and when I switched to VOIPo I had to place the ATA on a port setup as a DMZ host This is for my home phone.

I work from home and use RingCentral and Cisco Communicator IP SoftPhones on my desktop and laptop and have for years with no issues, and no special router/network settings. I opted to try VOIPo instead of getting another $4.99 line from RingCentral because I was thinking of eventually cancelling my $9.99 incoming 8xx number which would then cause me to lose my access to $4.99 full function lines.

That is just to give a picture of what I have and that everything is stable, except the VOIPo line.

This time when I realized that I had problems, I did look at the devices screen and saw that there were two lines on the screen. These had ports 5060 and 5061 assigned. The two line lights were alternately blinking instead of being dark and only lighting when 'in-use'.

After a power-cycle of the ATA, the devices screen showed four lines with the same date/time. Two each for the 5060/5061 ports. The phones then appeared to work for outbound calls, but when I called in from my cell, the phones rang, but when we answered line1, there was silence and line2 kept ringing. I am certain that it would have gone to VM if I had not hung up.

When we did make a successful outbound call, both line lights blinked together instead of the active line being solid. When not in use, the blink alternately.

Currently we do not seem to be receiving inbound calls. At least they do failover to VM.

More later when
I have more time to investigate.

r111
04-26-2011, 09:23 AM
It's pretty rare that we have issues like yesterday. All those issues were cleared up yesterday morning though.

If you're having issues constantly, you may have a bad connection to VOIPo or an incompatible router. Open a ticket so it can be addressed.

Thanks for replying to my issue. I've had outages lasting over 24 hours almost every month since I started using VOIPo. I've opened a ticket each time. In order to eliminate any router issues, I've put the (VOIPo supplied Linksys pap2t) ATA in the router's DMZ. I've sent voipo-trace files to support on 2 occasions. No issues are indicated. I have AT&T DSL with 2.5 mb down and .5 mb up. I have VOIPo at another location and it is rock solid. So I am wondering if:
- AT&T is deliberately interfering with VOIP traffic
- The Linksys pap2t VOIPO provided is faulty (the ATA at my other location is a Linksys rt31p2)

Here are the ticket numbers I've submitted over the past few months:
ZVN-261858
CPT-390761
GPR-135680
TED-658832
ZHD-143435

stevech
04-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Once AGAIN my incoming calls are rolling to my backup number. Outgoing calls normal.

I've complained in the past that this is not an acceptable service level. We need an email or SMS or something to tell us that there's a registration problem.

So I power-cycled the ATA (GS) to try to fix, now the LEDs blink as if the registration is refused.

I've about had it with VoIPo.

VOIPoTim
04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Once AGAIN my incoming calls are rolling to my backup number. Outgoing calls normal.

I've complained in the past that this is not an acceptable service level. We need an email or SMS or something to tell us that there's a registration problem.

So I power-cycled the ATA (GS) to try to fix, now the LEDs blink as if the registration is refused.

I've about had it with VoIPo.

We do not monitor customer devices or customer networks. We only monitor our own network.

If you have a Grandstream, it will alert you when you pick up the phone that it's not registered by playing "Not Registered" instead of the dialtone.

If you are experiencing this frequently, try working with support to make sure your router settings are configured correctly with port forwarding. When the devices fail to connect periodically, it's almost always resolved by tweaking some settings in the route like enabling port forwarding.

stevech
04-26-2011, 09:20 PM
We do not monitor customer devices or customer networks. We only monitor our own network.

If you have a Grandstream, it will alert you when you pick up the phone that it's not registered by playing "Not Registered" instead of the dialtone.Not so. When making outgoing calls, all is normal sounding.

If you are experiencing this frequently, try working with support to make sure your router settings are configured correctly with port forwarding. When the devices fail to connect periodically, it's almost always resolved by tweaking some settings in the route like enabling port forwarding.Have done so. The VoIPo policy/position seems to be "it's your problem, not ours". Unacceptable.

VOIPoTim
04-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Not so. When making outgoing calls, all is normal sounding.
Have done so. The VoIPo policy/position seems to be "it's your problem, not ours". Unacceptable.

If you'd like I'm happy to have a Tier II agent contact you to verify all of your router settings if you'd like.

Beyond that, there's not much else we can do since this involves something outside out of our network.

stevech
04-26-2011, 11:22 PM
If you'd like I'm happy to have a Tier II agent contact you to verify all of your router settings if you'd like.

Beyond that, there's not much else we can do since this involves something outside out of our network.This is not true.

There are tickets on file. Exactly the same as last time tickets were filed when the same symptoms occurred. The VoIPo tech on the last occasion had no diagnosis other than: try forwarding virtually all ports, up to 65535 (the max). Then some other suggested individual ports, because some ports are needed by other devices/apps on computers in this LAN, i.e., it is not practical to forward most all ports to the ATA. So with the suggested discrete port numbers forwarded, this problem reoccurs.

There are TWO PROBLEMS HERE
1. VoIPo does not make any attempt to warn customers that there is some sort of server/registration renewal error in VOIPO's SERVERS such that outgoing calls are normal but incoming calls roll to the backup number. VOIPO's SERVERS KNOW there's a problem because THEY elected to initiate the incoming forwarding. But VoIPo elects to not warn the customer. Nor does the ATA detect a flaw and warn the customer. Let's make this clear: VoIPo's servers NOT ME, elected to invoke forwarding of of incoming calls to the backup/fail-over. That should tell support that something's wrong. The ATA is not reporting a registration error. Outgoing calls normal.

2. The root cause is not known to VoIPo support; they guess and power cycle and so on until it starts working. Then after some expiration time (perhaps 2-4 weeks) the VoIPo servers elect to forward incoming calls as in (1). Or maybe the reoccurring problem is related to the other customers' reports in this thread, triggered by some reboot/restart at VoIPo.

Fix it.

burris
04-27-2011, 03:41 AM
I hope I'm not intruding, but just what do you expect them to do for you?

If all were as bleak as you indicate, they would be inundated with complaints and tickets and the service wouldn't be working at all. I don't see this being the case.

I can't see how they could provide the personalized service you are requesting for any price, much less at the price we are paying. I've been with them since the beta days and for me it's the first VOIP service that has worked...and worked well.

I had your frustration with all the previous providers I had and no matter what I tried, nothing worked, so I moved on. Maybe that will be the answer for you in your case as well.

stevech
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM
What do I expect them to do? Here's the answer:

Inform the customer by email or SMS or some means that THE VOIPO SERVERS HAVE ELECTED TO INVOKE FAIL-OVER FOR MY INCOMING CALLS. MY OUTGOING CALLS ARE NORMAL; NO ATA NOTICE VISUALLY OR AUDIBLY THAT VOIPO IS HAVING TROUBLE ON THEIR END.

Because the ATA does not tell me it is having problems, I cannot know.

VOIPoTim
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
What do I expect them to do? Here's the answer:

Inform the customer by email or SMS or some means that THE VOIPO SERVERS HAVE ELECTED TO INVOKE FAIL-OVER FOR MY INCOMING CALLS. MY OUTGOING CALLS ARE NORMAL; NO ATA NOTICE VISUALLY OR AUDIBLY THAT VOIPO IS HAVING TROUBLE ON THEIR END.

Because the ATA does not tell me it is having problems, I cannot know.

Unfortunately we do not offer monitoring of customer equipment or customer networks. We only monitor our own network.

You've made your request in many many posts here and our response remains unchanged.

I'm not aware of any VoIP provider that offers this. It's just not feasible for residential providers to do so.

This is not true.

There are tickets on file. Exactly the same as last time tickets were filed when the same symptoms occurred. The VoIPo tech on the last occasion had no diagnosis other than: try forwarding virtually all ports, up to 65535 (the max). Then some other suggested individual ports, because some ports are needed by other devices/apps on computers in this LAN, i.e., it is not practical to forward most all ports to the ATA. So with the suggested discrete port numbers forwarded, this problem reoccurs.

1. VoIPo does not make any attempt to warn customers that there is some sort of server/registration renewal error in VOIPO's SERVERS such that outgoing calls are normal but incoming calls roll to the backup number. VOIPO's SERVERS KNOW there's a problem because THEY elected to initiate the incoming forwarding. But VoIPo elects to not warn the customer. Nor does the ATA detect a flaw and warn the customer. Let's make this clear: VoIPo's servers NOT ME, elected to invoke forwarding of of incoming calls to the backup/fail-over. That should tell support that something's wrong. The ATA is not reporting a registration error. Outgoing calls normal.

2. The root cause is not known to VoIPo support; they guess and power cycle and so on until it starts working. Then after some expiration time (perhaps 2-4 weeks) the VoIPo servers elect to forward incoming calls as in (1). Or maybe the reoccurring problem is related to the other customers' reports in this thread, triggered by some reboot/restart at VoIPo.

Fix it.

At this time, it sounds like the best option for you is to find an alternative service provider.

VoIP is dependent upon a lot of variables and what works well for some customers may not for another based on their router, ISP and home network configuration.

All providers have different networks. It's very possible another provider might better suit your needs because your network configuration, router and ISP combination may work better with their setup. What works well for one customer on one provider may not work well for another.

Less than 1% of our customers have ever contacted support so the service works well for the vast majority. If you're in the 1% that has problems though, you'll likely to continue to have issues and there's no need to be unhappy.

We always hate to lose a customer, but ultimately you seem to be having a lot of problems. If you've already worked with our support team and continue to have chronic issues like you describe, you'll likely to continue to have those issues which is not a good situation for anyone.

We hope that you can find a provider that meets your needs. Once you've made arrangements to transfer your number, e-mail tim @ voipo.com letting me know and I'll make sure that you get a full prorated refund.

stevech
04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Unfortunately we do not offer monitoring of customer equipment or customer networks. We only monitor our own network.
Please consider:
The ATA is YOUR equipment.
Your server/network equipment elects to invoke fail-over for incoming calls due to some problem with your ATA communicating with your servers. My gripe is that I cannot know the fail-over was invoked because VoIPo does not inform the customer by email or SMS or a robo-call that this has happened. But moreover, VoIPo is imprudently declining responsibility.

Of course I am responsible for the router to be configured to accomodate. But tech support's only cure so far has been to temporarily move the ATA to the WAN side then back again. There needs to be a competent diagnosis of what is actually causing this, so the cure can be developed. The ATA, as I understand, is supposed to notify audibly and/or by flashing LEDs that there is a registration/re-registration fault. It does not do so. But something causes VoIPo's servers to invoke the fail-over for incoming whilst the outgoing calls still work normally. I only ask that someone actually troubleshoot this.

VOIPoTim
04-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Please consider:
The ATA is YOUR equipment.
Your server/network equipment elects to invoke fail-over for incoming calls due to some problem with your ATA communicating with your servers. My gripe is that I cannot know the fail-over was invoked because VoIPo does not inform the customer by email or SMS or a robo-call that this has happened. But moreover, VoIPo is imprudently declining responsibility.

While we do own the adapter, it's in your possession and connected to your network. We do not monitor customer equipment or intend to monitor customer equipment. Residential VoIP providers do not monitor anything beyond their own networks. Again, this has been debated over and over in multiple threads and we're not going to continue debating it. We do not monitor customer equipment, customer networks or anything in the customer's possession. We only monitor our network.

Failover has nothing to do with whether a device is registered or not. It kicks in when our packets can't get through to the adapter. If it's not registered, obviously that would be the case and it would kick in. If your device is not saying it lost its registration when you pick up the handset then it's likely still registered but your router is not letting the traffic through which is why this is happening. Many routers have this issue periodically and a reboot resets the NAT table and allows things through again.

Bottom line...ou seem to be having an extraordinary amount of problems and have stated that you've already worked with support and they were unable to resolve your issues. If support has worked with you multiple times and you still have issues, you will continue to have those issues.

VoIP is highly dependent upon a customer's network setup, ISP and router and not all combinations work well with all providers..

There is no need to continue to experience problems. We recommend finding an alternative service provider at this time since you appear to be in the 1% of our customer base that has chronic issues.

We also do not offer monitoring of customer devices and based on the fact that you've posted it many many many times, it seems like that is a deal-breaker for you and our service does not offer a feature that sounds like a deal breaker for you.

While we hate to lose a customer, we don't want you to experience chronic service issues and use a service that does not provide the features that are important to you. Another provider may be able to better accommodate you.

caseydoug
04-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Tim, it appears that most of these type of problems are related to the customer's router. Out of curiosity, do you have fewer problems when the ATA is placed in front of the router so that traffic does not have to go through it? Wouldn't that obviate the need to forward ports, etc.?

VOIPoTim
04-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Tim, it appears that most of these type of problems are related to the customer's router. Out of curiosity, do you have fewer problems when the ATA is placed in front of the router so that traffic does not have to go through it? Wouldn't that obviate the need to forward ports, etc.?

Yes, that's why we mainly use HT502s now (built in router) and encourage customers to put them in front.

tritch
04-27-2011, 01:20 PM
VoIP is highly dependent upon a customer's network setup, ISP and router and not all combinations work well with all providers..

I agree 100% with this statement.

After reading your numerous posts over the past several months, your symptoms are logically pointing to your router as the culprit not Voipo. Since nobody else is having this issue, the logic tree applies. As suggested by another poster in another thread, SIP ALG shoud be turned off in your router because this is likely to cause problems as noted in other VOIP forums, but it appears you have not done so based on your latest posts. If so, then why not?? This may be causing the issue.

Your Cradlepoint MBR900 is a "specialized" router with built-in failover to 3G/4G networks, which in itself requires "specialized" firmware to make it all work. Bugs in router firmware are found all time, so who knows what else may be in play here especially since they just released a new version supporting LTE. Without knowing your full network topology, there may be port issues going on as well. I suspect if you temporarily connected your ATA directly to your cable or DSL modem the problems would permanently go away. Since it appears you need Internet failover router, your options are limited at this point.....

voipinit
04-27-2011, 02:52 PM
1. VoIPo does not make any attempt to warn customers that there is some sort of server/registration renewal error in VOIPO's SERVERS such that outgoing calls are normal but incoming calls roll to the backup number. VOIPO's SERVERS KNOW there's a problem because THEY elected to initiate the incoming forwarding. But VoIPo elects to not warn the customer. Nor does the ATA detect a flaw and warn the customer. Let's make this clear: VoIPo's servers NOT ME, elected to invoke forwarding of of incoming calls to the backup/fail-over. That should tell support that something's wrong. The ATA is not reporting a registration error. Outgoing calls normal. ...

Your thinking is a little flawed. VOIPO's servers do not know in advance if the call is going to your ATA or the alternate failover route. When you receive an inbound call, VOIPo servers send an "invite" to your ATA, if your ATA does not respond back, the call is then rerouted to your failover option.

r111
04-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Can the Linksys rt31p2 ATA provided by VOIPO (at another location and is rock solid) be configured to be in front of a router? If so, can support swap the provisioning on my two accounts -- so I can swap my pap2t which doesn't seem to work behind a router to the rt31p2 which might?

VOIPoTim
04-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Can the Linksys rt31p2 ATA provided by VOIPO (at another location and is rock solid) be configured to be in front of a router? If so, can support swap the provisioning on my two accounts -- so I can swap my pap2t which doesn't seem to work behind a router to the rt31p2 which might?

Sure, just contact support@voipo.com letting us know you'd like to switch them.