PDA

View Full Version : New User- Answering Machine Problems

SJMaye
05-21-2011, 02:38 AM
Hi,

I just had my service switch over to VOIPo and I have a problem with my answering machine. I have a Panasonic DECT KX-TG9344. I bought it because I prefer an answering machine over voicemail. So while setting up the VPanel I disabled voicemail...I think.

The problem is when someone calls in the phone rings a few times and then they hear nothing. Like someone picked up and says nothing, but no one had picked up. After analyzing this closely it appears the answering machine is picking up when it should, but no greeting is being played to the caller.

I know this sounds like a problem with my phone, but why would this just start happening after moving to VOIPo?

Can someone help?

SomeWhoCallMeTim
05-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Interesting. I also have a Panasonic answering machine. This morning some folks tried to call us multiple times, each time the phone would ring, the answering machine would display "Answering" but they never heard the announcement message. I verified by calling it myself from my cell and got the same behavior. The answering machine has been working since we switched to voipo 3-4 months ago so I'm not sure what changed. We have had problems where callers can hear us if they initiate the call and I have a support ticket open for that...but this "no answer" is a new one for us.

SJMaye
05-28-2011, 12:03 PM
All my problems were related to the setup of the voipo adapter. I got in touch with VOIo support and had it fixed quickly.

SomeWhoCallMeTim
05-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Hopefully that will be our experience as well once support gets back from the weekend...for now we don't bother answering the phone...the answering machine won't answer and if we pick up they can't hear us.

SomeWhoCallMeTim
05-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech support came through on a Saturday on a holiday weekend. I don't know if both the answering machine problem and the inability of callers to her us were fixed by the same issue but apparently when I set the block unknown callers feature it also blocked all callers in my address book that weren't on the whitelist. So "block unknown callers" is really "block anyone not on the whitelist".

In any case things are working again. Thanks tech support!