PDA

View Full Version : "Outgoing Call Routes"

christcorp
03-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Tim and Brandon; I'm posting here because I believe you said you wanted questions to migrate to the Beta instead of the Alpha. More this or correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway; on the "Overseas" thread in Alpha, I mentioned wanting to be able to dial 3 digit codes like 511 and 411 and have them auto dial the appropriate 1-800 type number. Tim, you mentioned Brandon saying this can already be done in the "Outgoing Call Routes" section. I put in a 3 digit number "511" in the outgoing with a forward number of 1-888-xxx-xxxx (X=real number). I saved it. I've waited a while, but when I dial 511 after about 3 0r 4 seconds, I just get a busy. Dialing the actual 1-888 number works fine. Is there a certain time limit to wait? (It's been a while). Do I need to reboot the adapter? Is it still a feature in the works? Thx... Mike....

VOIPoTim
03-08-2008, 01:24 AM
It should be instant. We need to look at it to see what that's not working

VOIPoBrandon
03-08-2008, 01:26 AM
Hello Mike, I will check on this, but enter a 10 digit number, so without leading 1, so i.e. 8005558355.

I will make sure that the correct changes are applied no matter the format.

Let me know if that works for you, thanks!
________
Old Man Boys (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/785/boys/videos/1)

christcorp
03-08-2008, 01:40 AM
Yes brandon; Thanks. Forwarding WITHOUT the "1" fixed it. Definitely might want to fix that so either format works. If not, there will be a lot of customer support calls. Thanks again. It works fine. Later.... mike.....

sbradshaw
03-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Would using this method of only entering a 3-digit number cause an issue with other numbers containing the same 3-digit number? 411 vs. xxx-xxx-4110, for example.

christcorp
03-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I will try that tonight. I have some extensions at work that have 511 in it's number. I doubt it will be a problem because the pbx (sip server) has certain timers. I.e. When I dial manually the 1-888 number that my 511 points to, it immediately pretty much starts to ring on the other end. However, when I dial 511, there is a good 2-3 second pause before it starts ringing. I believe the server is waiting to see if there are more numbers. If there are, then obviously the 511 isn't the shortcut number. I'll experiment with it. Later... Mike....

VOIPoBrandon
03-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Would using this method of only entering a 3-digit number cause an issue with other numbers containing the same 3-digit number? 411 vs. xxx-xxx-4110, for example.

Hello, the answer to this question is simply put -- no. The call routing matches either a) Only the partial number, in the above example "411". Now keep in mind there are wild cards, however in which case if you *DID* for whatever reason want to match something like that number you mentioned, you could simply do:

"******4110"

Essentially * matches [0-9] for any of you guys who may know regex, simply put once again, this is any numeric integer between 0 and 9, matched 1 or more times.

So a few examples
"411" matches -> 411
"*411" matches *411******
"*411*5" matches *411*5***

Now that above is the current method, of how we're matching, however this is not 100% set, so I do need some more input from you guys actually.

Heres somewhat of my thinking:
CURRENT METHOD:
714* -> 714*******
*714 -> *714******
*714* -> *714******

NEW METHOD ?:
714* -> 714*******
*714 -> *******714
*714* -> *714******

Also, I'm perhaps thinking about integrating some other type of wild card symbol such as %, how this would work, would be such as: %714%, would match any number with 714 in it, so it would match the following:

714 *** ****
*** 714 ****
*** *** 714*
and so on.......

The other thing to consider also, is how we would want to integrate international numbers into this too, any thoughts / suggestions, etc is all appreciated, let me now what you guys feel would work best for you.
________
LESBIAN ASSLICKING (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/722/asslicking/videos/1)

fisamo
03-09-2008, 07:35 PM
You have a lot of options here. If you want to find the solution that will meet most peoples' needs, you should consider real-world scenarios. How are phone numbers related? It's pretty rare that there's any real relationship (that a customer would want to filter against) between multiple DIDs that share the same digits in the 7-10th digits in the 10-digit number. The only thoughts that come to mind are Papa John's pizza places--they seem to ask the incumbent telcos for NPA-NXX-7272 (PAPA) or some other repeating pattern, and there's no guarantee that they get it)--or that businesses often seek numbers like this: (NPA-NXX-x000). However, there's nothing to say that residences are never assigned "x000" numbers; in fact, I know of at least one without thinking very hard. :)

The watch-out I'm presenting here is that if you make the filtering 'too powerful' you may well run into the law of unintended consequences. Your system will end up blocking the calls your customers program it to block, rather than the calls your customers intend it to block.

For domestic pattern matching, you might be best served with a system that only uses numerals and 'X' characters that match digit-for-digit (as opposed one or more times). That way, all patterns the user enters must be ten digits long (nice error check), and it should be pretty explicit. Customer can choose any of the patterns:
919XXXXXXX (block all 919 area-code calls)
XXX249XXXX (block all calls from/to 'exchange' 249, no matter the area code)
XXXXXXX249 (block all calls ending in 249, though I'm not sure why)

You could have a radio button to select domestic or international call pattern matching, where the domestic calls have the ten-digit requirement and X or numeral limitations. For international calls, though, having a wild card that matches one or more digits would be necessary. There again, most people would be blocking calls to/from a specific country (or part of a country); I would expect most blocking patterns to specify the beginning of the pattern specifically, followed by a variable number of digits (e.g. 01144* to block all calls from country code 44 vs 011*44 for any international call with "44" in it).

VOIPoBrandon
03-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Hello Fiasmo,

This was my exact concern, as far as customers blocking calls that they did not "intend" to block. Which is why I'm asking you guys. However I do see a point to using X as a single digit, however I think we're on the same page, just slightly different angles.

However I think we can make a solution for all three angles available that I can see.

I think if we introduced, three symbols into the routing scheme, which we can conveniently "not advertise" the more advanced/confusing methods.

What I was thinking was perhaps introducing the following symbols: * % X

What do they do? Well, I think as for the asterisk the easiest method of application, that makes sense would be seen above in my "NEW METHOD" idea.

Which works as follows, say you wanted to block, all 714 area code calls, it could simply be put as 714*. Or say You wanted to block all 249 exchange calls, you could simply put ***249. Now say you wanted to block all calls ending in 249, you could simply do *******249. Now we can also introduce the X method, which would act as a SINGLE digit wild card, with NO padding, such as the * pad's to the right, to fill up digits up to 10 digits in length. So say you wanted to block ANY call that was three digits, and ended in 11. You could do X11, i.e. would block/route/etc 411, 911, 511, 611. Now say you wanted to block all 919 area code calls you could do the same, 919XXXXXXX, and 249 exchange, XXX249XXXX, and all calls ending in 249 - XXXXXXX249. So essentially still integrating your suggestion, as I would like to keep it as simply put for the more basic users. However, I'd still like to cater to the more advanced users as well. The THIRD Method, would be the % sign, what exactly would it do? Say you wanted to do Block, all calls with "714" in the number, we would simply do %714%, or say you wanted to block all calls with 714 or 949 in it, %714%949%. As for international, what I was thinking is maybe something where, we would use the same symbols, except, they would denote that the call is international with a +, or 011 sign. So say that they wanted to block all calls to country code 44, they could do the following:

01144* [block all calls to country code 44]
+44* [ ditto ]

Nothing is set in stone yet, but still looking to draw more ideas about the custom call routing and exact functionality. Let me know what the rest of your guys thoughts are! Also Fiasmo, what do you think about this? Like I said I'm on the same page with you as far as, it could create more problems, then it helps, with giving them to much control. "I'm not getting calls from XYZ", I only blocked "ABC". When they don't know what they might have really done.
________
Big Tits Movies (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/10/big-tits/videos/1)

gbh2o
03-09-2008, 07:56 PM
How about offering a 'nice' auto-block of 242, 246, 264, 268, 284, 345, 441, 473, 649, 664, 670, 758, 767, 784, 787, 809, 829, 867, 868, 869, 939 area codes unless somehow expressly requested to be authorized. Might save some mighty big billing surprises from NANPA countries other than Canada and the U.S.A.

VOIPoBrandon
03-09-2008, 07:57 PM
How about offering a 'nice' auto-block of 242, 246, 264, 268, 284, 345, 441, 473, 649, 664, 670, 758, 767, 784, 787, 809, 829, 867, 868, 869, 939 area codes unless somehow expressly requested to be authorized. Might save some mighty big billing surprises from NANPA countries other than Canada and the U.S.A.This should already be in effect, let me know if otherwise :).
________
500 (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_500)

VOIPoTim
03-09-2008, 08:15 PM
This should already be in effect, let me know if otherwise :).

Yeah alot of little things like this are already done. Let's just cite learning experiences at "the other company" in the early days.

quattrohead
03-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Wow, thats an interesting lesson for today. They should have shoved all those area codes in the 900 range to keep it easier for muts like me to remember. Why are there gaps in the codes ?
http://www.areacodehelp.com/where/where_is_area_code.shtml

gbh2o
03-10-2008, 04:47 AM
Wow, thats an interesting lesson for today. They should have shoved all those area codes in the 900 range to keep it easier for muts like me to remember. Why are there gaps in the codes ?
http://www.areacodehelp.com/where/where_is_area_code.shtml

Well, it's up to each country to control their internal phone structure and rules. Some just allow grossly excessive tariffs on us foreigners. _We_, the U.S.A. that is, is not in a position to dicatate to them. In any case blame the plan on AT&T! Here's the reference for many good things about our numbering system:

http://www.nanpa.com/

gbh2o
03-10-2008, 04:51 AM
This should already be in effect, let me know if otherwise :).

How do we dial one of these countries if we have a legitimate reason? ;-) There are always the popular Bahamas. Of course no one would ever have a reason to call the Cayman's! :D

fisamo
03-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Hello Fiasmo,

This was my exact concern, as far as customers blocking calls that they did not "intend" to block. Which is why I'm asking you guys. However I do see a point to using X as a single digit, however I think we're on the same page, just slightly different angles.

However I think we can make a solution for all three angles available that I can see.

I think if we introduced, three symbols into the routing scheme, which we can conveniently "not advertise" the more advanced/confusing methods.

What I was thinking was perhaps introducing the following symbols: * % X

What do they do? Well, I think as for the asterisk the easiest method of application, that makes sense would be seen above in my "NEW METHOD" idea.

Which works as follows, say you wanted to block, all 714 area code calls, it could simply be put as 714*. Or say You wanted to block all 249 exchange calls, you could simply put ***249. Now say you wanted to block all calls ending in 249, you could simply do *******249. Now we can also introduce the X method, which would act as a SINGLE digit wild card, with NO padding, such as the * pad's to the right, to fill up digits up to 10 digits in length. So say you wanted to block ANY call that was three digits, and ended in 11. You could do X11, i.e. would block/route/etc 411, 911, 511, 611. Now say you wanted to block all 919 area code calls you could do the same, 919XXXXXXX, and 249 exchange, XXX249XXXX, and all calls ending in 249 - XXXXXXX249. So essentially still integrating your suggestion, as I would like to keep it as simply put for the more basic users. However, I'd still like to cater to the more advanced users as well. The THIRD Method, would be the % sign, what exactly would it do? Say you wanted to do Block, all calls with "714" in the number, we would simply do %714%, or say you wanted to block all calls with 714 or 949 in it, %714%949%. As for international, what I was thinking is maybe something where, we would use the same symbols, except, they would denote that the call is international with a +, or 011 sign. So say that they wanted to block all calls to country code 44, they could do the following:

01144* [block all calls to country code 44]
+44* [ ditto ]

Nothing is set in stone yet, but still looking to draw more ideas about the custom call routing and exact functionality. Let me know what the rest of your guys thoughts are! Also Fiasmo, what do you think about this? Like I said I'm on the same page with you as far as, it could create more problems, then it helps, with giving them to much control. "I'm not getting calls from XYZ", I only blocked "ABC". When they don't know what they might have really done.

If you want to use all three wild card symbols (X for single digit 0-9, * for one or more digits, % for 0 or more digits (or to enclose a pattern to look for)), that's fine. In that case, your radio button should give the following two choices: "Simple domestic call rules/blocking" (only wild card allowed is X; all entries must be 10 characters in length), or "Advanced call rules; international call rules" (all three wild cards allowed, length of pattern string is not fixed at 10 characters). On the "Simple" call rule page, you'd include information that each entry is ten characters, X matches 0-9, and you'd provide clearly written examples such as the following:

919XXXXXXX blocks ALL CALLS from 919 area code.
XXX249XXXX blocks ALL CALLS from ALL AREA CODES, where middle 3 numbers are 249.
XXXXXX1234 blocks ALL CALLS from numbers ending in 1234.

You could write similar 'help' prompting for the advanced page as you did in your message above.

The other concern I want to throw your way is the watch-out that you should not allow users to block 911 dialing, and that return-calls from a PSAP, such as if my 2 year old dials 911 and hangs up, should override any custom call routing. I have a few thoughts on that--check your PMs.

TimW
03-31-2009, 11:22 PM
I don't think you can block these area codes. My understanding is that the area codes are completely valid, and there are many "normal" lines in these codes. The rates to these area codes are not necessarily high. It just happens that these area codes happen to be used by the scammers as well.