PDA

View Full Version : Contacts

VOIPoTim
03-10-2008, 02:05 AM
What info do you guys want to store in contacts?

Here is what we have now:

Group:
Caller ID / Title:
Firstname:
Lastname:
Company:
Address Line 1:
Address Line 2:
City:
State:
Zipcode:
Email:

Then you can add as many "phone numbers" as you want and label them freeform. Like a cell, work, home, etc.

Should we just drop the address stuff? Just thinking I probably wouldn't use that piece and would like something clean and simple if I were a customer, but if people want to store it, that's cool too.

Is there anything else that would be useful/helpful to store?

usa2k
03-10-2008, 04:30 AM
I've never had a use for address on my cell phone.

For business people, address would be more important, but then, there are plenty other tools for that.

Group: (Family/Friend/Work/...) Take-Out
TYPE: (Cell/Home/Work)
Caller ID: 1-555-555-5555
NAME: Little Ceasars
CNAM ALIAS: Pizza

And maybe an OTHER: category for email or other note

Thats what I would use. Let it be sorted by any of the above when reviewing entries.

voxabox
03-10-2008, 04:49 AM
I think "Caller ID/Title" should be optional
other than that they are fine

sbradshaw
03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I've never had a use for address on my cell phone.

For business people, address would be more important, but then, there are plenty other tools for that.

Group: (Family/Friend/Work/...) Take-Out
TYPE: (Cell/Home/Work)
Caller ID: 1-555-555-5555
NAME: Little Ceasars
CNAM ALIAS: Pizza

And maybe an OTHER: category for email or other note

Thats what I would use. Let it be sorted by any of the above when reviewing entries.
I think having the option of address would be valuable to some. I would make a way to easily import this info from other sources (Grandcentral does this well).

fisamo
03-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I think 'Take-Out' was the group name in this case. :)

fisamo
03-15-2008, 07:14 PM
I've played with the contacts a little more (very little), but a few things jumped out at me.

First, you have hidden the number entry until after the contact is created. Compared to the way it was previously, this is much less confusing (since you still had to create the contact before you could add a number). However, it would be better (IMO) if one could create a contact and add a few numbers, all one one screen, (without having to click more than one 'submit' button).

Second, I notice that first name and last name are required fields. Good idea for sorting the contacts, but what if you're putting a business in there, like your favorite take-out restaurant? You won't always have a first AND last name. (I'd recommend only making last name required.) You should also mark the required field(s) with a * or similar so your users know before hitting Submit that those fields need text.

Third, the only way to create a contact is to click on the 'Contacts' tab at the top of the screen. That seems sensible until you create a group and then want to create a contact. Could 'Create Contact' be added to the sub-command bar next to Create Group?

Fourth, the 'Location / Alias' still seems somewhat confusing. Perhaps you can change that to "Description (e.g. Home, Cell, other)" or, to save a little space, "Type (Home, Cell, other)"

Fifth, I was unable to delete a contact I created (the only one, if that makes a difference). I got an 'Exception Caught! Unable to execute query" message (or similar).

More comments as I play more. :)

usa2k
03-15-2008, 08:12 PM
BTW Great list of points fisamo :)

I also noticed the few entries I had made either lost or never had a GROUP. I created two GROUPS for assignment.

I am still confused about how View Unknown Contacts works?

It would also be good to identify clearly what fields are displayed as the CNAM.

N9MD
03-16-2008, 12:31 PM
... Should we just drop the address stuff?

My BlackBerry Address Book stores a lot of very useful information for each contact. I realize the BB is a device I carry with me -- so it has more likelihood of me referring to the contacts throughout the day. However, I depend on these listings for more than just a name and phone number.

Two helpful specific categories would be the fax number and the contact's address info. If one is working at a computer and has a need to fax or mail something to a contact, it is such an easy matter to log into the VOIPo account and obtain this information -- since the computer is readily available.

fisamo
03-16-2008, 02:05 PM
I think the view unknown contacts feature scans your call logs for names/numbers that don't match your existing contact list. I believe that, in theory (haven't tried it yet), you should be able to click on one of those entries in the list and create a contact with that number already assigned to the contact.

A few interesting thoughts regarding the contact list: When Tim's developers get bored (if?), they should consider programming an Import function--CSV file, vCards, etc. I believe ATTCV has this function in their Phone Book.

Now, even better--if someone enters 'FAX' for a number Location/Alias, opening their contact could show a 'Send FAX to' link next to their FAX number...

usa2k
03-16-2008, 03:33 PM
I think the view unknown contacts feature scans your call logs for names/numbers that don't match your existing contact list. That is what I hope, but it finds the same number many times in the list, and lists existing contacts, so it seems to be there more in principle than debugged.

I just removed ALL my unknown contacts in case I am seeing info that is old.

I'll have to do some tests before I can really say how functional it really is.

fisamo
04-18-2008, 02:59 PM
What info do you guys want to store in contacts?

Here is what we have now:

Group:
Caller ID / Title:
Firstname:
Lastname:
Company:
Address Line 1:
Address Line 2:
City:
State:
Zipcode:
Email:

Then you can add as many "phone numbers" as you want and label them freeform. Like a cell, work, home, etc.

Should we just drop the address stuff? Just thinking I probably wouldn't use that piece and would like something clean and simple if I were a customer, but if people want to store it, that's cool too.

Is there anything else that would be useful/helpful to store?

I've played with the contacts a little more (very little), but a few things jumped out at me.

First, you have hidden the number entry until after the contact is created. Compared to the way it was previously, this is much less confusing (since you still had to create the contact before you could add a number). However, it would be better (IMO) if one could create a contact and add a few numbers, all one one screen, (without having to click more than one 'submit' button).

Second, I notice that first name and last name are required fields. Good idea for sorting the contacts, but what if you're putting a business in there, like your favorite take-out restaurant? You won't always have a first AND last name. (I'd recommend only making last name required.) You should also mark the required field(s) with a * or similar so your users know before hitting Submit that those fields need text.

Third, the only way to create a contact is to click on the 'Contacts' tab at the top of the screen. That seems sensible until you create a group and then want to create a contact. Could 'Create Contact' be added to the sub-command bar next to Create Group?

Fourth, the 'Location / Alias' still seems somewhat confusing. Perhaps you can change that to "Description (e.g. Home, Cell, other)" or, to save a little space, "Type (Home, Cell, other)"

Fifth, I was unable to delete a contact I created (the only one, if that makes a difference). I got an 'Exception Caught! Unable to execute query" message (or similar).

More comments as I play more...

Time for more comments... :)

When clicking on the Contacts tab, the screen should only show the list of contacts, not the "Create Contact" screen. (Of course, if there are no contacts yet, it would be reasonable to 'bump' users to the Create Contact screen).
Sub-commands for the Contacts tab should be Create Group, Create Contact, Import Contacts, Export Contacts (if you want to offer an import/export option; consider formats to allow, such as CSV, vCard, Outlook)
How important is it to have "infinite" numbers per contact? Many mobile phones limit numbers per contact to 6; if you wanted to offer more, you could set the limit at 10. I only propose setting a limit to make import/export easier.
As I mentioned earlier, it would be more user-friendly to enter contact info (name/address) and phone#'s on one screen. If you set a max# of numbers, this option would also be easier to implement. It would also be easier to edit contact information, because all of the data would be on one screen--no need to "remove" a location, then "add" a new one if a number changes or is mistyped.
To reiterate that last point, if you choose to keep the "location" function separate from entering contact name/address, please add an "Edit Location" button next to "Set Primary" and "Remove Location".
Number format checking is not quite right. When entering a number like "123-456-7890" the system shows "123-457890" (the 6 appears to be dropped). I would have expected the last number (or two) to be dropped, or at least not visible. Is the number correct in the database? (Entering "1234567890" displays properly.)

I'm only reviving this thread because of the comments in the "vPanel Changes" thread. If you're working on the look and feel of the site (along with any necessary error/bug correction), I thought it worthwhile to bring it up again.