PDA

View Full Version : Number selection

vipsoft
03-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Are the lists of numbers available (shown in the drop downs) representative of the size of the pool of numbers that will be available when VOIPo officially launches to the public?

A number search feature would be nice, allowing wildcards (*) and letters for those seeking a vanity number. An example would be AT&T's toll free number search:

http://businessesales.att.com/products_services/tollfreeproduct_cataloglookup.jhtml

Another feature would be a filter. I believe Telus Mobility offers customers to filter out numbers that contain a '4' -- considered an unlucky number to some East Asian (sub)cultures.

BTW I wasn't initially aware of this forum group before I fired off several email to support@voipo.com re: minor issues.

N9MD
03-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Are the lists of numbers available (shown in the drop downs) representative of the size of the pool of numbers that will be available when VOIPo officially launches to the public?

A number search feature would be nice, allowing wildcards (*) and letters for those seeking a vanity number. An example would be AT&T's toll free number search: http://businessesales.att.com/products_services/tollfreeproduct_cataloglookup.jhtml
You have referenced the one and only phone number search engine in the known universe that allows the degree of choice that you want --- and that is only for TollFree numbers!

Although it really used to be a helpful feature for people looking for "nice" TollFree numbers --- double or triple zeros such as xxx-xxx-xx00 and xxx-xxx-x000 or their name/initials or words related to their business --- there are so few "nice" numbers left (for a variey of reasons) that the site you cited is no longer a big deal.

Moreover, the TF number search was not location-dependent. One could not look for a Boca Raton FL TollFree number with no "4"'s and at least 2 zeros (or whatever). The TF listings years ago were practically endless.

With geographic telephone numbers -- PSTN, Cellular, Beepers, VoIP -- one is looking for a number within a specific area code and, usually, within a specific rate center as well. This drastically limits a widely ranging availablity of numbers to choose from. VOIPo (and others) obtain their DIDs from a relatively limited selection -- frequently from only one or two CLECs within an area code/rate center). They do not have access to all available numbers in a particular location.

I, for one, would not waste valuable programming time just to permit prospective customers to find their dog's name or other desirable number -- or one without "9"s which I personally never cared for -- from a very limited local number data base. On the other hand, I am delighted with the ability to seek out a "nice" number within a specific AC & RC (or nearby rate center) -- which is how VOIPo presents their numbers. [I lied about the number "9" as you can tell from my nickname.]

I will point out a trick -- if I don't get yelled at. When browsing a particular town's available numbers, switch between two cities repeatedly. VOIPo's system lists only one DID for each available exchange in the rate center when you do the first look-up. By toggling between towns, the system tends to build a list of up to 10 available numbers with the same exchange. (That's how I got my "nice" VOIPo numbers originally.

usa2k
03-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Along the same theme. Some related stories.

When my sister got a cell phone, their last four digits were matched to their home phone. That makes it easier to learn both.

Many people at my work-place do not know the work number. Its the simple reason that its programmed in phones, and they never needed to learn it.

The fact VOIPo gives a list of numbers to choose from is more than Vonage offers for comparison.

The a-la-cart 1-877 I have with another company was obtained for an extra $15 fee. The last seven digits match my wife's cell phone. The research used an AT&T site (I think?) but the manual request just specified that number and took some time.

vipsoft
03-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Wishlist items aside (i.e., searching or filtering), I am hopeful the pool of available numbers will be larger. It sounded rather laborious when I requested numbers from Rogers for new business lines.