PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Softphone App on both iOS and Android available!

VOIPoDanielC
04-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Hello everyone!

We're excited to announce that we're launching a Mobile Softphone App on both iOS and Android devices for our residential and business clients that have our standard unlimited plans.

The application is available via GooglePlay and iTunes as "Cloud Softphone" by Acrobits. After installing it, you'll enable BYOD on your account, and then go to the Beta -> Mobile Softphone page (it's only available via vPanel v2.x). You'll scan a QRcode, and then your application will be provisioned automatically.

If you have any issues, please feel free to open up a trouble ticket and request that it be transferred to Tier III/Development. However, please note that as this is a new product, there will be no support given over the telephone or chat for it as it's VERY beta.

All that said, we hope that you like it!

Best regards,
Daniel C
Tier III Support & Development
VOIPo Customer Care

wingsohot
04-25-2014, 06:55 PM
Is this available for resellers as well?

VOIPoTim
04-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Is this available for resellers as well?

Not at this time. It's a commercial software with a per-user licensing fee so we aren't rolling it out for resellers at this time, but may figure out a way to make it available as an option in the future.

JacobsLive
04-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Hello everyone!

We're excited to announce that we're launching a Mobile Softphone App on both iOS and Android devices for our residential and business clients that have our standard unlimited plans.

The application is available via GooglePlay and iTunes as "Cloud Softphone" by Acrobits. After installing it, you'll enable BYOD on your account, and then go to the Beta -> Mobile Softphone page (it's only available via vPanel v2.x). You'll scan a QRcode, and then your application will be provisioned automatically.

If you have any issues, please feel free to open up a trouble ticket and request that it be transferred to Tier III/Development. However, please note that as this is a new product, there will be no support given over the telephone or chat for it as it's VERY beta.

All that said, we hope that you like it!

Best regards,
Daniel C
VOIPo Customer Care

Glad to see some initiative from VOIPO finally!

I started testing the App since yesterday. My initial response was 'wow' as my first call was lasted less than for a minute. Then I made further calls and found call quality drops (network flapping) after the initial minute into the call making it nearly impossible to continue the conversation. I have tested it with multiple wifi locations. I will not judgement the 4G LTE part as you never know how your cellular network behaves.

I have been using Bria with BYOD credentials and lot of time it bounce back with 486/ 403 errors (not authorized/busy) errors. Now with the soft phone situation is much same other than it is preconfigured to be logged in to VOIPO network. Call quality seems to be same as using any other "free" or paid voip application with BYOD credential.

Hopefully it will be fine tuned during the beta testing and I can get rid of Vonage App for making ILDs despite of having a international calling package with VOIPO. I will keep testing the app and in the mean time back to Vonage App for serious ILD calls! Cheers and thanks for making something better and hope that eventually you guys will make it awesome!

Oh, if anyone wondering how to enable bluetooth in this particular VOIP application, you need to go to "keypad" from the bottom, then "settings" on the top right -> "Preferences" (second option from top) -> "Sound" (again second option from top) and scroll all the way down and toggle "Support Bluetooth" to ON... Then you will see a warning saying if speaker phone does not work, come back here and turn off BT blah blah... UH!!!!! In short the App itself in beta along with VOIPO beta integration into this App, so technically you are about to do two beta testing at the same time :)

VOIPoTim
04-27-2014, 05:20 PM

I started testing the App since yesterday. My initial response was 'wow' as my first call was lasted less than for a minute. Then I made further calls and found call quality drops (network flapping) after the initial minute into the call making it nearly impossible to continue the conversation. I have tested it with multiple wifi locations. I will not judgement the 4G LTE part as you never know how your cellular network behaves.

I have been using Bria with BYOD credentials and lot of time it bounce back with 486/ 403 errors (not authorized/busy) errors. Now with the soft phone situation is much same other than it is preconfigured to be logged in to VOIPO network. Call quality seems to be same as using any other "free" or paid voip application with BYOD credential.

Hopefully it will be fine tuned during the beta testing and I can get rid of Vonage App for making ILDs despite of having a international calling package with VOIPO. I will keep testing the app and in the mean time back to Vonage App for serious ILD calls! Cheers and thanks for making something better and hope that eventually you guys will make it awesome!

Oh, if anyone wondering how to enable bluetooth in this particular VOIP application, you need to go to "keypad" from the bottom, then "settings" on the top right -> "Preferences" (second option from top) -> "Sound" (again second option from top) and scroll all the way down and toggle "Support Bluetooth" to ON... Then you will see a warning saying if speaker phone does not work, come back here and turn off BT blah blah... UH!!!!! In short the App itself in beta along with VOIPO beta integration into this App, so technically you are about to do two beta testing at the same time :)

Please open a ticket via support@voipo.com (Attn Tier III) with call examples and we'll be happy to look into it. Without examples to look at it's very hard to diagnose. We're not able to reproduce a drop here.

Ansextra
04-27-2014, 08:28 PM

Oh, if anyone wondering how to enable bluetooth in this particular VOIP application, you need to go to "keypad" from the bottom, then "settings" on the top right -> "Preferences" (second option from top) -> "Sound" (again second option from top) and scroll all the way down and toggle "Support Bluetooth" to ON... Then you will see a warning saying if speaker phone does not work, come back here and turn off BT blah blah... UH!!!!! In short the App itself in beta along with VOIPO beta integration into this App, so technically you are about to do two beta testing at the same time :)Hi Jacob, not sure if we are using the same version of the application but my "sound" section shows an option for Legacy Audio if I scroll all the way down, not an option for bluetooth? I am using Version 1.3.8, build 345482.

JacobsLive
04-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Hi Jacob, not sure if we are using the same version of the application but my "sound" section shows an option for Legacy Audio if I scroll all the way down, not an option for bluetooth? I am using Version 1.3.8, build 345482.

Hello Ansextra, I am using iOS version (1.3.5 build 4B5C7) downloaded via the link provided in the beta page. May be settings are different if you are sung Android version. If you are using iOS, I am wondering from where you got a different build?

Hi Tim, I will open a ticket with after doing more tests. Thank you!

VOIPoTim
04-27-2014, 11:24 PM
Hello Ansextra, I am using iOS version (1.3.5 build 4B5C7) downloaded via the link provided in the beta page. May be settings are different if you are sung Android version. If you are using iOS, I am wondering from where you got a different build?

Hi Tim, I will open a ticket with after doing more tests. Thank you!

Ok. The more specific you can be with samples, the better. If you can do a call then open a ticket with the details of it or even better would be the Call ID from the Call History online in vPanel then we should be able to pull that specific call up and see the actual logs/flow of the call and why the drop happened since it'd be a full log of everything that happened with the call.

Ansextra
04-28-2014, 05:24 AM

Hi Tim, I will open a ticket with after doing more tests. Thank you!Hi Jacob. I am using Android. That would most likely explain the difference.

VOIPoTim
04-28-2014, 04:10 PM
I've been using CSipSimple with good results for quite some time now. Works fine on WiFi... some issues on cell data connection due to the bandwidth requirements of the G.711 codec. What are chances of you folks supporting G.729 or GSM codecs with the new app to reduce bandwidth requirements over cell data?

Thanks!

Dan

We are working on adding some lower bandwidth codecs to it. The software supports it but we need to make a few changes on our network to handle it and basically setup an intermediary server to "transcode" the media for the calls to the other codecs since they're not natively supported on our network. It's definitely in the works though.

VOIPoDanielC
04-29-2014, 01:59 AM
Hello everyone,

Instead of submitting tickets to support@voipo.com, please use the link inside the Mobile Softphone page, "Click here to enter a ticket for this application." This will enter a ticket directly with us.

When entering a ticket about dropped calls, please be sure to include all available information, including the CallID which can be found in your call history section.

Best regards,
Daniel C
VOIPo.com

tritch
04-30-2014, 08:54 AM
A couple of issues concerning Android smartphone…..not iOS phones:

First, it seems Acrobits is using “push notifications for incoming calls” using the Google cloud messaging service to wake up/open the app after it is closed in order save battery power. It’s great feature, but there’s no way to disable this feature within the app itself. Apparently, since the app is automatically “provisioned” for Voipo, the setting is not available to the end user. The result is the smartphone rings for all incoming calls regardless of whether the app is open or closed. There’s no way to stop incoming calls from ringing the smartphone unless you uninstall the app.

Second, once you uninstall the app, the Acrobits SIPIS server which is being used to communicate to the Google cloud messaging service stays registered. It keeps re-registering at periodic intervals by looking at vPanel’s connected devices. It’s stuck and you can’t seem to get rid of it. I haven’t tried to completely disable BYOD to get rid of it, but I shouldn’t have to do this.

Otherwise, the call quality seems good using Verizon’s LTE service as the data transport. No dropped calls after several tests.

I submitted these bugs via the provided link, but not sure it went through. When I clicked the submit button, I got "Exception Caught: SOAP-ERROR"

myvoip07
05-01-2014, 08:24 PM

First, it seems Acrobits is using “push notifications for incoming calls” using the Google cloud messaging service to wake up/open the app after it is closed in order save battery power. It’s great feature, but there’s no way to disable this feature within the app itself. Apparently, since the app is automatically “provisioned” for Voipo, the setting is not available to the end user. The result is the smartphone rings for all incoming calls regardless of whether the app is open or closed. There’s no way to stop incoming calls from ringing the smartphone unless you uninstall the app.

Second, once you uninstall the app, the Acrobits SIPIS server which is being used to communicate to the Google cloud messaging service stays registered. It keeps re-registering at periodic intervals by looking at vPanel’s connected devices. It’s stuck and you can’t seem to get rid of it. I haven’t tried to completely disable BYOD to get rid of it, but I shouldn’t have to do this.

I have noticed the above issues on iOS devices also. It would be nice to have a option to disable Mobile softphone App when not required so all calls can ring 1st on phone connected to VoiPo adapter rather then softphone.
I also have Bria installed on iPhone and it once the App is closed and the registration time expires it doesn't stays registered. We would like to have something similar with VoiPo apps. I know Bria is a paid app but just wanted to share my experience and comparision.

Ansextra
05-02-2014, 05:17 AM
Being able to control whether or not to receive incoming calls on the app would be a great feature. I know it's available on the standard Acrobits app. Also, just for the record, the standard Acrobits app is $6.99 in the Google Play Store for Android so is also a paid app just like Bria. I would "assume" they are getting paid for this app somehow as well even if the charges are not passed on to us as users.

gls101
05-02-2014, 12:39 PM

The push notifications are giving me fits, also on Android

I have the app installed on both of our cell phones, and if the home phone rings, one of the softphones starts to ring, and rings continuously, even after the home phone is answered. The only way to stop it is to hit either the "Dismiss" or "Reject" button on the app. The other cell app rings normally, and stops ringing when the home phone is answered. A method to disable push notifications on the app would be ideal for me.

Tim, is it acceptable to install the app on more than one cell phone? I don't want to run afoul of any TOS conditions.

VOIPoTim
05-03-2014, 11:13 AM
The push notifications are giving me fits, also on Android

I have the app installed on both of our cell phones, and if the home phone rings, one of the softphones starts to ring, and rings continuously, even after the home phone is answered. The only way to stop it is to hit either the "Dismiss" or "Reject" button on the app. The other cell app rings normally, and stops ringing when the home phone is answered. A method to disable push notifications on the app would be ideal for me.

Tim, is it acceptable to install the app on more than one cell phone? I don't want to run afoul of any TOS conditions.

Yes, as long as it's your household/normal usage...no problem.

VOIPoDanielC
05-06-2014, 02:09 PM

Otherwise, the call quality seems good using Verizon’s LTE service as the data transport. No dropped calls after several tests.

I submitted these bugs via the provided link, but not sure it went through. When I clicked the submit button, I got "Exception Caught: SOAP-ERROR"

I've corrected the SOAP-ERRORs... You must've been jumping the gun while I was developing the bug report scripts. :)

Check your ticket history. If they aren't there, then they weren't entered.

I'm releasing another version of the application provisioning which should allow for you to enable/disable the Push notifications. I'll reply once it's done.

mikem
05-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Where is the link to open tickets? I don't know where the 'link inside the Mobile Softphone page, "Click here to enter a ticket for this application."' is. Is that in the app? On the voipo website?

mikem
05-08-2014, 04:43 PM
In case anyone else didn't see it tickets can be opened from the vpanel page under beta, first link on the left, here is the link https://account.voipo.com/beta/mobile_softphone.

VOIPoDanielC
05-15-2014, 04:52 AM
Hello everyone,

Good news!

The new provisioning is out. So, please go into your application and remove/reset your provisioning, and then go to the Beta page and reset your application. :)

We've changed four things so far:

We enabled STUN permanently. This should help with audio issues some people were having with one way audio.

We enabled the option for users to select how they want to handle incoming calls (may vary by device type):

Push
In Foreground Only
Keep Awake
In Background Only

We also enabled some packetization options to be different on Wifi and on cellular to better accommodate bandwidth.

Lower packetization values improve quality when packet loss occurs while higher values preserve bandwidth With lower packetization inside the codec, it improves quality when packet loss happens... However, higher values preserve bandwidth, so on Wifi, we've set it to 20ms. On cellular, we've set it to 40ms.

We've removed unused codecs from the application so that making calls shouldn't require too much renegotiation with our network. At the moment, as many of you know, our network only supports the uLaw codec. We're working on getting a solution together for the mobile application and for softphones that allows for other codecs to be used. However, we don't have an ETA.

That's all that I have for now!

Best regards,
Daniel C
VOIPo Customer Care

gls101
05-27-2014, 04:38 PM
We enabled the option for users to select how they want to handle incoming calls (may vary by device type):

Push
In Foreground Only
Keep Awake
In Background Only

I just reprovisioned my two cell phones, and the incoming call selections ( Push or Only in Foreground on Android) works great, and solves my issue with push notifications.

I briefly tried placing calls to my Voipo home line with the phones, and the called party couldn't hear me. (both cell phones were on LTE at the time). I'll play more before opening a ticket to be sure it is repeatable and wasn't a one-time thing.

Again, thanks for the incoming call changes.

Gary Sanders

Ansextra
05-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Is there a way to set the software to only do outgoing calls?

budmaster
05-27-2014, 07:19 PM
I am confused. How is this app any different from the many other SIP apps such as CSipSimple?
(Besides the convient QR for setup, that was pretty slick)

VOIPoTim
05-29-2014, 10:55 AM
I am confused. How is this app any different from the many other SIP apps such as CSipSimple?
(Besides the convient QR for setup, that was pretty slick)

It's not really much different at all. This is actually made by Acrobits and they also sell basically the same App in the App stores on their own that's not provider specific.

This is just a managed version is automatically configured and managed by us for users.

The bulk of our users aren't tech savvy enough to configure their own so this is just an easy option that we can officially support since we can control the provisioning/config remotely.

Functionality wise..no real difference than most others except SMS likely being integrated into our soon.

Russell
06-14-2014, 02:39 PM
It's not really much different at all. This is actually made by Acrobits and they also sell basically the same App in the App stores on their own that's not provider specific.

This is just a managed version is automatically configured and managed by us for users.

The bulk of our users aren't tech savvy enough to configure their own so this is just an easy option that we can officially support since we can control the provisioning/config remotely.

Functionality wise..no real difference than most others except SMS likely being integrated into our soon.

The SMS part will be cool. I've been using Zoiper on Android from my place of work with success. If I try this out will it affect the byod password that was last mailed to me in any way?

VOIPoTim
06-16-2014, 02:25 PM
The SMS part will be cool. I've been using Zoiper on Android from my place of work with success. If I try this out will it affect the byod password that was last mailed to me in any way?

It won't reset or impact it. :)

VOIPoDanielC
06-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Russell,

The mobile phone application shouldn't have any impact on your BYOD credentials. The tokens that it uses are independent of the BYOD credentials. However, it still uses the same BYOD credentials on the backend provisioning server.

Best regards,
Daniel C
VOIPo Customer Care

Russell
06-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the responses Tim and Daniel. I've installed it. The QR code approach to set the credentials was pretty cool!

mobamoba
06-18-2014, 09:47 AM
I have my VoipO set to simulring to my cell. Do I need to disable that feature if I'm installing the Mobile Softphone app on my cell?

commspring
06-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Not at this time. It's a commercial software with a per-user licensing fee so we aren't rolling it out for resellers at this time, but may figure out a way to make it available as an option in the future.

I use an app called Zoiper for clients. It is available for Android and Apple. Simply add the sip credentials and authenticate. Now your clients have their office phone on their smartphone. A great feature is that all contacts on their phone are automatically available as contacts on the app.

They will create a "white label" app for you for a fee, but I've never had an issue with any clients using the "off the shelf" version.

Thx

Russell
06-27-2014, 07:30 PM
I use an app called Zoiper for clients. It is available for Android and Apple. Simply add the sip credentials and authenticate. Now your clients have their office phone on their smartphone. A great feature is that all contacts on their phone are automatically available as contacts on the app.

They will create a "white label" app for you for a fee, but I've never had an issue with any clients using the "off the shelf" version.

Thx

I've used Zoiper for years ... from the time before smart phones were fashionable :-). Remember using it on a laptop. I also have it installed on my smart phone (see post #25 above).

Russell
06-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Has something changed about the format of numbers accepted. As, mentioned I've been using Zoiper for a while. Interestingly, recently I appear to be getting a lot of Proxy Authentication Required (407) in Zoiper. In fact I just tried (from home) a series of calls to my wife's number at work and it was hit or miss whether I got the 407 or whether the call went through with Zoiper. This was only with Zoiper and no Cloud Softphone running.

VOIPoTim
06-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Has something changed about the format of numbers accepted. As, mentioned I've been using Zoiper for a while. Interestingly, recently I appear to be getting a lot of Proxy Authentication Required (407) in Zoiper. In fact I just tried (from home) a series of calls to my wife's number at work and it was hit or miss whether I got the 407 or whether the call went through with Zoiper. This was only with Zoiper and no Cloud Softphone running.

Nothing's changed recently. Open a ticket and support can check on some of the calls if you have examples.

Russell
06-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Nothing's changed recently. Open a ticket and support can check on some of the calls if you have examples.

Just tried after seeing your message and it happened again. Proxy Authentication Required (407). The failure happens very fast - seems like it's trying to contact voipo servers which reject the authentication. Not sure what kind of information I'd provide in the ticket to support (it's never gets so far as a call being logged in my "history"). Then I dial again and it works - the first time was from the contacts. So I thought maybe the format was different - but what I see in the call logs of my app is exactly the same format. I'm sure this is one of those things which is frustrating for support to get to the bottom of with minimal information. All I know that in the past with the same app I never had this kind of issue, which was the reason for my anything change query. To me this is low priority as I use it more out of geek interest than having a practical need for it.

osetiya
07-15-2014, 02:36 PM
Hi, I just try

Ansextra
08-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Just wondering if there is any progress being made on the SMS feature that was discussed when Cloud Softphone first became available to VOIPO?

VOIPoTim
08-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Just wondering if there is any progress being made on the SMS feature that was discussed when Cloud Softphone first became available to VOIPO?

It's on our list of future development possibilities, but it's not something that we've actively been working on.

Ansextra
08-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Ok thanks.

SomeWhoCallMeTim
09-11-2014, 04:32 PM
I just found this thread...yeah, I know I'm late. And of course the temp password expired as of today. Does that mean that "Cloud Softphone" will no longer work with VOIPO and I should use something else?

Thanks!

[Edit: I can use CSipSimple or some other app that work just fine, was more curious about the password expiration and what it meant for the Cloud Softphone app.]

VOIPoTim
09-11-2014, 06:31 PM
You should be able to just get a new password in vPanel. The Cloud Software is definitely still available.

If you need further help with this, just open a ticket by e-mailing us at support@voipo.com and we'll be happy to help.

I just found this thread...yeah, I know I'm late. And of course the temp password expired as of today. Does that mean that "Cloud Softphone" will no longer work with VOIPO and I should use something else?

Thanks!

[Edit: I can use CSipSimple or some other app that work just fine, was more curious about the password expiration and what it meant for the Cloud Softphone app.]