PDA

View Full Version : Android and Voipo

christcorp
08-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Was wondering if anyone has had any success using voipo as a softphone app on their android via WIFI? If so, which voip softphone software were you using? Also; if you are provisioned with your softphone, what affect does it have on your normal voipo at home with the voip adapter?

I have a business/personal trip coming up around November/December. I'll be out of the country for a little while. Mostly in the Caribbean. Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Belize, Mexico, and a couple other places. I don't want to register my cell phone for service down there because it's a bit expensive. My son was just in Peru for a month and we tried to use Skype between his phone and mine, but it was totally choppy. Not sure if the government affects the ports on internet traffic in Peru or not. I believe the couple times I've used Skype in the USA, it worked OK. But I'd like to try VoipO if it is available. If not, I will take my chances with Skype. Any experience? Thanks... Mike....

VOIPoTim
08-19-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm not sure on what app to recommend but I know we have a ton of users using soft phones. I can answer the question about the home adapter though...you shouldn't see any impact. When a call comes in, both should ring.

It's going to be hit/miss outside of the country and will depend a lot on the connection...too many variables to say anything definitive. I have several friends that have used the service with only minor issues in the Bahamas.

christcorp
08-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks Tim. I'll research some softphone apps for the android and try it out. Mike.....

P.S. Tim; I just had a thought. The failover feature with voipo monitors the voip adapter; e.g. PAP2 for connectivity. If it notices that the adapter isn't there, VoipO will automatically forward your calls to where you have it set up. e.g. Cell phone. If I have a softphone installed on a laptop, or android handset, and the software is running in the background, does the VoipO server see this as a registered voip adapter. In other words, if my "REAL" voipo adapter at home went down because my broadband provide took a dump, but voipo saw the softphone running, would it NOT go into failover and forward the calls to my cell phone because it saw it connected on the laptop via a softphone???? Things that make you go hmmmmm. Thanks. Mike....

tritch
08-19-2011, 11:59 AM
If it sees any device registered whether it be an ATA or softphone, it would not go to your failover. It would only go to failover if no devices are registered at all.

VOIPoTim
08-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks Tim. I'll research some softphone apps for the android and try it out. Mike.....

P.S. Tim; I just had a thought. The failover feature with voipo monitors the voip adapter; e.g. PAP2 for connectivity. If it notices that the adapter isn't there, VoipO will automatically forward your calls to where you have it set up. e.g. Cell phone. If I have a softphone installed on a laptop, or android handset, and the software is running in the background, does the VoipO server see this as a registered voip adapter. In other words, if my "REAL" voipo adapter at home went down because my broadband provide took a dump, but voipo saw the softphone running, would it NOT go into failover and forward the calls to my cell phone because it saw it connected on the laptop via a softphone???? Things that make you go hmmmmm. Thanks. Mike....

Failover basically only kicks in if there is nothing connected to our server for the account (could be a soft phone or the ATA). As long as one is connected it wouldn't kick in.

christcorp
08-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Cool. Thanks for the Info. I've found about 4-5 decent voip softphone apps for the android. I'll experiment with them and give a review/assessment for anyone here who is interested. thanks again.... mike....\

frankd1
08-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Cool. Thanks for the Info. I've found about 4-5 decent voip softphone apps for the android. I'll experiment with them and give a review/assessment for anyone here who is interested. thanks again.... mike....\

I don't use it a lot, but I've had good luck with CSipSimple. It was easy to configure, and it works when I occasionally use it.

DaveH
08-30-2011, 12:32 PM
I second what frankd1 said. I use CSipSimple as well. It was easy to configure and it just flat works. Although it drains the hell out of my DroidX battery.

christcorp
09-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Well I've been using "Sipdroid" on my HTC Incredible 2, for the last month. It's been working quite fine. Easy to set up. Allows up to 2 sip accounts that you can switch between the two. Will allow both incoming. I only have a few places where cellular service isn't available; but a WIFI signal is. E.g. Basement of one of the office buildings I work in sometimes. Sometimes a site in the middle of no where. We have internet and wifi but no cell signal. It has come in handy.

Also, when I'm expecting an important call, instead of going online or to my home phone and forwarding it or doing a simulring; I simply turn the "SipDroid" app on in my HTC Droid and it receives the calls too. Much faster and simpler. Then I don't have to remember to turn off forwarding, simulring, etc...

The only issue I had was a recent trip to Peru. Apparently they block a lot of ports. I couldn't get any Cell service, "Without paying a lot", but I could get wifi. The calls back to the states was very choppy. It wasn't a voipo thing because the exact same thing happened when using Skype. But in the states, it works great. I was recently at a local airport that believe it or not, had almost no cell signal. But they did have free open WIFI. One click and Sipdroid made a perfect call to my wife at her work. "She was a little confused when she saw our HOME Caller-ID. She thought I was home when I called. She panicked. I told her I was at the destination airport and all was fine. Told her how I made the call being the cell service wasn't available. She giggles at me being a techno-geek; but she admits it comes in handy. "Except last night when she saw me with my NEW Android with the back cover off and a soldering iron in my hand". She was speechless. I told her I was improving the GPS reception. She just covered her ears and walked out. LOL

Anyway; SIPDroid seems to be working fine. I might give CSipSimple a try. Thanks for the info. mike....

claganga
09-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Like christcorp I use sipdroid to connect to VoipO over 3G and WIFI.

The problem you're going to run into is Voipo supports G711 only which could be a little too much bandwidth for 3G, over wifi though you should be ok. Though I can see bandwidth, packet loss, and delay/jitter problems with calling from foreign countries.

My setup is a little different since I run asterisks and connect all my endpoints to that then connect to VOIPO as a trunk. This allows me use GSM when running over 3G.

Try it you really having nothing to lose.

carltonh
10-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I've not succeeded with Android am asking here because Voipo's official support responded:
"Unfortunately we are not able to provide support for 3rd party devices or applications with our service as their are too many variables out of our control."

So my situation: I've got a Sprint HTC Evo, no longer connected to cell service but works fine on wifi. I've tried both Linphone and CSIPSimple and have the same results. I can initiate a call and receive a call successfully, but I cannot get sound to send or receive either direction with either sent or received calls.

Does it matter that my standard Voipo Grandstream adapter is still plugged in at home to attached standard phones? I don't want to disconnect that either. On my secure.voipo.com shows both Linphone and CSIPSimple as registered devices as well as the Grandstream device.

alanmeyer
11-23-2011, 12:27 AM
I installed both csipsimple and sipdroid. sipdroid worked right away, but csipsimple isn't working. Both are configured with the same account information, and my only goal at this moment is to use the apps to make outgoing calls. When I attempt a call with csipsimple it acts like it's making the call, and the call timer starts but I never hear a ring, and it eventually gives up.

Thoughts?

pjo1966
11-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Is there any way to change the Caller-ID in Sipdroid (or any other SIP app) for outgoing calls?

claganga
11-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Is there any way to change the Caller-ID in Sipdroid (or any other SIP app) for outgoing calls?

When calling through Voipo the SIP caller id headers are ignored and set to the ANI they have on file.

laris
12-13-2011, 08:40 PM
I have CSipSimple and it works great! https://market.android.com/details?id=com.csipsimple&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5jc 2lwc2ltcGxlIl0.

rschoey
03-28-2012, 11:01 AM
I have Sipdroid working on my phone for outgoing phone calls but I haven't been able to get the receiving calls to work. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Rhonda

mikeb
03-28-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm having the same problem as Rhonda. I installed Sipdroid today on my Android device and can make outgoing calls, but the incoming calls do not ring on the softphone.

I got a little further with with CSipSimple. I can make outgoing calls, and incoming calls will ring on the softphone, but I cannot hear the caller and the caller cannot hear me.

mikeb
03-29-2012, 08:48 AM
I was able fix the problem of not hearing the caller using CSipSimple on my Android device.

I enabled ICE and STUN in CSipSimple:
Settings > Network > Enable ICE
Settings > Network > Enable STUN
Settings > Network > STUN servers - I used the Voipo STUN server: zeus.voipwelcome.com

Incoming and outgoing calls are working normally.

christcorp
05-02-2012, 10:48 AM
I tried using STUN on Sipdroid, but it still doesn't allow incoming calls. Maybe I'll try CSipSimple. Who knows? thanks.

MisterEd
05-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Was wondering if anyone has had any success using voipo as a softphone app on their android via WIFI? If so, which voip softphone software were you using? Also; if you are provisioned with your softphone, what affect does it have on your normal voipo at home with the voip adapter?

I have a business/personal trip coming up around November/December. I'll be out of the country for a little while. Mostly in the Caribbean. Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Belize, Mexico, and a couple other places. I don't want to register my cell phone for service down there because it's a bit expensive. My son was just in Peru for a month and we tried to use Skype between his phone and mine, but it was totally choppy. Not sure if the government affects the ports on internet traffic in Peru or not. I believe the couple times I've used Skype in the USA, it worked OK. But I'd like to try VoipO if it is available. If not, I will take my chances with Skype. Any experience? Thanks... Mike.... One of my daughters was just in Paris for the past 2 weeks and Skype worked flawlessly both video and voice. It was like she was in the next room. I was totally blown away. She was just using her iPhone 4 on hotel wi-fi.

OregonVoIP
05-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Bria, 3cx, all work awesome. I use them with different SIP providers and it always works will.

ourhelpdesk
05-08-2012, 02:38 PM
I have had several Android phones and they've all had built-in softphone. On my current Nexus Galaxy it's under Phone > Settings > Internet Call Settings. For each SIP account there are fields for username, password, server and a couple of options (server, port, proxy, etc).

1) why would anyone want to install an extra piece of software like sipdroid? Is there any advantage over the built-in/stock version?

2) what do I need to enter into these fields to get Voipo to work on my mobile? Yes I guess it's a dumb question but all the FAQ/user guides from Voipo assume you're using their preset equipemnt and claim you just have to plug it into the network for it to work.

matt2
05-10-2012, 11:17 AM
I've tried SipDroid and the built-in softphone. At first, I was only able to use sipDroid at all, and required a STUN server. Then I found there was some kind of SIP NAT-traversal setting enabled on my router which was actually causing more harm than good. Once I disabled that, I was able to use the built-in softphone.

However, I am unable to receive calls in both, though I am able to make calls. The built-in softphone has poor (incoming and outgoing) audio quality, and sipDroid seems to have good incoming audio quality, but outgoing audio is not working at all, and I've tried several different codec configurations.

Bink
05-10-2012, 02:10 PM
I've tried SipDroid and the built-in softphone. At first, I was only able to use sipDroid at all, and required a STUN server. Then I found there was some kind of SIP NAT-traversal setting enabled on my router which was actually causing more harm than good. Once I disabled that, I was able to use the built-in softphone.

However, I am unable to receive calls in both, though I am able to make calls. The built-in softphone has poor (incoming and outgoing) audio quality, and sipDroid seems to have good incoming audio quality, but outgoing audio is not working at all, and I've tried several different codec configurations.
For the most part, I have no issue making or receiving calls using the built-in client in ICS—the quality is generally good (particularly since VOIPo replaced their BYOD server). That said, have you tried configuring the proxy in the built-in client?

ourhelpdesk
05-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Bink, since you appear to have Voipo working with the built-in client in ICS would you mind sharing how to set it up? Thanks!

Bink
05-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Bink, since you appear to have Voipo working with the built-in client in ICS would you mind sharing how to set it up? Thanks!
I’ll try to post some screenshots at my next opportunity—perhaps later today.

Bink
05-11-2012, 09:24 AM
I’ll try to post some screenshots at my next opportunity—perhaps later today.
To configure this on my phone, I, basically, go to the Dialer, Settings, Accounts and create the account—and screenshots of how my account is configured are at http://cdn.anonfiles.com/1336748856319.png and http://cdn.anonfiles.com/1336748876946.png (I tried to upload them here, but the forum kept complaining these are not “valid image files.”). Additionally, underneath Accounts I have Use Internet calling For all calls when data network is available.

My Username, which is removed from the screenshot, is, simply, my phone number and my password is the password you will find for BYOD in vPanel (while accessing the BYOD credentials is non-obvious, it’s there). For the Optional settings, while Send keep-alive is Automatic, and this tends to work fine for me at home (using Wi-Fi), I need to set it to Always to reliably receive calls when on 4G (but this takes quite a toll on battery life).

Hope this helps!

ourhelpdesk
05-13-2012, 01:43 AM
Thanks.

What is vpanel ? - do you mean the voip control panel at https://cp.voipwelcome.com ? I don't see any BYOD references anywhere there?

I tried using the password I used for creating the account but that didn't seem to work - I get the error "Account registration unsuccesfull (registration timed out) will try later."

usa2k
05-13-2012, 05:04 AM
vPanel https://secure.voipo.com/ User ID= VOIPo phone number
After the VOIPo device has connected and registered then
https://secure.voipo.com/preferences/softphone the BYOD credentials will work

ourhelpdesk
05-13-2012, 05:44 AM
Hm, thanks,... but it doesn't work.

I created an account - full service line - and got a number and a password. I go to https://secure.voipo.com and enter this number and password, but the form just returns blank.

Do I have to wait some time from creating the number till trying to login?

I'm not using a VOIPo device, I'm using my Android phone's built in VOIP device (which I have working with other providers and other users here confirm work with VOIPo) - and there is no option to connect and register until you have a usable password. A bit of a catch-22 if I understand you right.....

usa2k
05-13-2012, 06:49 AM
If your VOIPo adapter is working, BYOD should work
vPanel should be accessible before getting the physical device, but not for BYOD credentials.
Might want to try emailing support@voipo.com

ourhelpdesk
05-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Like I said, I don't have a VOIPo adapter, I am trying to use my Android phone.

Ok I'll contact the support....

Russell
06-07-2012, 08:27 PM
I must admit I've not been keeping up with the interaction between a VOIPo issued adapter and a softphone. Once upon a time, I believe, the last one registering won out. Iirc, if your standard adapter registered and then another device registered an incoming call would go to the other device. Is that no longer true today? In other words if I have (say) an Android softphone and my VOIPo issued PAP2T both registered, will an incoming call ring both? I really don't want to impact service at home the few times when I turn on the softphone on my Android (over wifi). Post #2 by Tim seems to imply that the behavior has changed. I'd love for him or someone at VOIPo to confirm that the registered adapter will always ring if connected (no last one wins policy).

In other words, is the current policy: all adapters that are visible in vPanel ring simultaneously?

christcorp
06-08-2012, 07:33 AM
If you register your android or Softphone, using the SEPARATE credentials that are retrieved by longing into your vpanel, then YES, both the home phone voip adapter AND my android phone, BOTH ring at the same time. Which ever answers the call first, gets the call.

Russell
06-08-2012, 08:02 AM
If you register your android or Softphone, using the SEPARATE credentials that are retrieved by longing into your vpanel, then YES, both the home phone voip adapter AND my android phone, BOTH ring at the same time. Which ever answers the call first, gets the call.

So, the key is to use the separate vPanel credentials and if you use that VOIPo issued adapter is not impacted?

christcorp
06-08-2012, 08:41 AM
In the vpanel, there is a section Features/Preferences/Softphone-BYOD. Click on that, and you'll get the host name, user name (Same as your phone number) and a password. That password is different than the one in your voip adapter. Use that password in the softphone/android.

Tooth
06-08-2012, 10:16 AM
I asked this question over in the BYOD forum but haven't gotten a response yet, so I'm going to ask it again here (apologies the question redundancy):

Can you register more than one softphone with the BYOD credentials in vPanel? I've successfully set up my iOS device as a softphone using a sip application, but I can't seem to get my wife's android phone configured correctly using the sipdroid app.

tritch
06-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I asked this question over in the BYOD forum but haven't gotten a response yet, so I'm going to ask it again here (apologies the question redundancy):

Can you register more than one softphone with the BYOD credentials in vPanel? I've successfully set up my iOS device as a softphone using a sip application, but I can't seem to get my wife's android phone configured correctly using the sipdroid app.

How many SIP devices you can register at the same time is a big question mark. I simply don't know. I seem to remember registering both lines of an ATA plus a softphone to the BYOD server some time ago and they all registered okay, but this was with the Voipo provisioned ATA disconnected. Try to remove your Voipo ATA temporarily and see if you can register the other SIP device, then you will know if there is limit to the number of registered devices.

You can also try asking support. Due to security concerns, they may or may not answer. I don't know.....

sandeepbhagat
06-23-2012, 02:48 PM
I just downloaded the csipSimple. Getting confused for configuration - you have to Add account - wizard finds different providers OnSip - ippi-monddotalk..... then another is basic and generic - I dont know which to choose - also next Q will be user name - server - pwd ??? lost

holmes4
06-23-2012, 03:15 PM
All you need is server name, username and password. Get these from vPanel under Features > Preferences > Softphone/BYOD