PDA

View Full Version : CNAM Lookup

VOIPoTim
04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
The new CNAM lookup program is being tested now and should be ready for rollout in the next few days.

At that point, 100% of calls should be showing a name if name is stored in the CNAM databases.

Montano
04-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Great news :)

fisamo
04-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Glad to hear. I was beginning to wonder if my lines were just special (in a not so good way) :)

darylo
04-02-2008, 10:52 AM
this will be very nice

myvoip07
04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
That's great news..

VOIPoTim
04-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Well it's one of those things that I was told was done, but it wasn't. I had a line providing it (one of our carriers does, one doesn't) so mine was working fine and I assumed it really was done.

VOIPoTim
04-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Can all residential users test this and make sure you're getting name on all calls now (except cells or ones that typically may not send)?

fisamo
04-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Preliminary test: It seems to be working on my Residential accounts, but not for any of my Carrier Domestic DIDs. I'll probably try testing it further over the next few days.

Any idea when this will be rolled out to Carrier? (I know Carrier is not your top priority now, so I'm expecting you to say something like "when we get around to it" but it never hurts to ask... ;) )

dswartz
04-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Ironically, inbound CNAM is less important to me than outbound. My asterisk server can fetch CNAM info several ways, so I haven't noticed this. It drove me nuts with the two previous VOIP providers who did NOT provide outbound CNAM, and friends&family would ask "what's wrong with your phone number? we never see your name!" voicepulse is one of them and their stock answer is: "that's just how VOIP works!"

fisamo
04-03-2008, 12:58 PM
dswartz,

As an Asterisk newbie (I've had it for a while, but haven't played with it extensively), I'm interested to know how you look up CNAM info if your VoIP provider doesn't send it.

Regarding outbound CNAM, I'm in agreement with you--outbound CNAM is very important to me. If ATTCV and ViaTalk can do it, surely Vonage, Voicepulse, and others can, too. (IIRC, Tim said it was a planned feature of Voipo.)

dswartz
04-03-2008, 01:06 PM
My understanding (but the voip companies won't admit this to their customers) is that it costs $$$ to do outbound CNAM :( Anyway, I use freepbx on top of asterisk, and the control panel/GUI has a feature where you can tell it to use one of several different CNAM applications (gotname.com, a yahoo app, a couple of others I don't remember offhand...)