PDA

View Full Version : QOS question

ThorsDad
08-17-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm looking to drop my land line in favor of VOIP. I have Comcast 12/2 service in my home office. My concern is phone quality when people are downloading stuff from the servers on my network. I've found quite a bit of hardware that advertises QOS features but I can't find any reviews to say if any of it really works.

Netgear sells a managed switch: Netgear GS108T-200. Asus sells an unmanaged switch with a "VIP" port for VOIP: GX-D1051. Netgear also sells a firewall with QOS: Prosafe FVS338. All of these are reasonably priced and fairly easy to install in my network. Do they work?

I've read about good results with pfsense and m0n0wall devices but they seem to be very difficult to lean, build, setup.

Any other options I've missed? This seems like it would be a common question with so many people doing streaming media etc. but I have found very little information after much Google'ing.

2nd-time
09-04-2011, 10:09 AM
For what it is worth, I've been using Comcast internet service with VOIP phone service for over seven years. From my experience, a managed switch is probably overkill. The slowest component in your network is the bandwidth allocation from the internet service provider. I haven't had any significant voice quality concerns with my network. I would occasionally get a poor connection, but hanging up and placing the call again would resolve the issue.

Just make sure to use a switch (not a hub) which can handle non-blocking, wire-speed packet switching at a rate of 10 Mbps or higher. Either of those switches you mention would be fine, although I would suggest letting your router handle the QOS management. Do choose a decent router that can handle the peak packet rate and has QOS management features. I haven't needed to enable QOS on mine, but I don't usually max out the upload bandwidth.

Enjoy!

ThorsDad
09-04-2011, 04:52 PM
I've decided to give pfSense a try. I've built a thin client with an embedded version of pfSense. I haven't put it on my network yet as the learning curve to set it up is quite steep. The traffic shaping features of pfSense should allow my VOIP calls to go through even when traffic on my servers is high. At least that is what I have been told. We'll see how it works if I ever get properly configured.

2nd-time
09-05-2011, 09:07 AM
I would agree that PFSense has all the capabilities needed to give priority to your VOIP traffic and has a fairly steep learning curve. I suggest using the simple features first to somewhat flatten the learning curve. A simple priority queue with VOIP, web and FTP priorities would probably do fine. Also, I would benchmark the thin client before routing all of the traffic through it. I updated my hardware when Comcast increased their peak download speed to 15 Mbps and my hardware was limiting it to 5 Mbps. Much better now :)

Enjoy!

chpalmer
11-22-2011, 10:48 PM
With pfSense, I recommend installing the siproxd package.

Im hoping to put together a howto on siproxd soon...

codatory
12-06-2011, 06:22 PM
pfSense 2.0 still has broken QoS so I wouldn't advise it. I would recommend a QoS Capable router - I have an Asus RT-N56U (http://amzn.to/vxyOkA) which from the QoS Standpoint is easy to setup and use, has very good performance and a low price.

ThorsDad
12-06-2011, 07:35 PM
This is the first I've heard about pfSense not doing QOS. I still haven't set up my pfSense box. The learning curve is a little steep.

chpalmer
12-07-2011, 03:38 AM
pfSense 2.0 still has broken QoS so I wouldn't advise it. I would recommend a QoS Capable router - I have an Asus RT-N56U (http://amzn.to/vxyOkA) which from the QoS Standpoint is easy to setup and use, has very good performance and a low price.

Curious-

Can you provide some links to any discussion from the group?

Redmine?

ymhee_bcex
12-21-2011, 06:53 PM
I would recommend any router that supports OpenWRT or DD-WRT, that have terrific QoS configuration capabilities. Most of the settings can be configured over Web interface, and most arcane - through SSH. I am surprised nobody mentioned them...

gatorsean
01-21-2012, 04:18 PM
I have three IP phones connected to my pbx system and I'm using a netgear smart switch. None of the equipment on my network is using QoS or traffic shaping and I'm able to use all three phones simultaneously. QoS is important when there is A LOT of network traffic but don't try and fry your brain with all of this until you notice severe degradation on the calls. Pfsense is GREAT and a really love it but it may be overkill Check out routerboard 750gl.
http://routerboard.com/RB750GL
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Category:QoS

I don't work for, by, or with mikrotik...I just love the products and think it shoul be MORE popular than the name brands at your walmart like netgear, liksys, d-link.

good luck.

chpalmer
01-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Pfsense is GREAT and a really love it but it may be overkill

pfSense scales to anything you want it to... Overkill- yikes.. :p

Agreed though... make sure you need qos before you tear your hair out over it...

KenC
06-19-2012, 11:50 AM
I am considering VOIPo to replace my current T-Mobile@Home VOIP. My internet connection is kinda middling speed (~ 1Mbps DL ~ 300Kbps upload), but VOIP works fine unless someone is downloading on their computer or watching netflix, youtube, etc. So I'm interested in QOS / Quality of Service settings (but am pretty ignorant of it). My questions:

Do any of the devices available through VOIPo allow me to connect my wireless router AFTER them, and will that prioritize VOIP over computer/netflix downloads from that WL router? If some do and some don't, can I specify the device?

Or would I be better off purchasing a device like the OBI202 which specifically states: Built-In Router with QoS for VoIP Traffic Prioritization, and use that in place of the VOIPo supplied device?

TIA - KenC

gatorsean
06-19-2012, 04:56 PM
That's a pretty weak internet connection. You should consider attempting to do some tests online specific for voip prior to purchasing any equipment or signing up with voipo.com since QOS won't help speed up your internet.
This is a type of test you can perform: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
You will want to see what it says about the upstream and downstream jitter.

Honestly, if you're going to want VOIP, you should consider pausing netflix and downloads while on the phone.

KenC
06-19-2012, 07:59 PM
That's a pretty weak internet connection. You should consider attempting to do some tests online specific for voip prior to purchasing any equipment or signing up with voipo.com since QOS won't help speed up your internet.
This is a type of test you can perform: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
You will want to see what it says about the upstream and downstream jitter.

Honestly, if you're going to want VOIP, you should consider pausing netflix and downloads while on the phone.

Thanks, but I've had two different VOIP systems on this internet connection for about five years (Callvantage with AT&T, which they discontinued, now T-Mobile@Home), and they work fine as long as there is no heavy traffic from other devices. I honestly don't know how much to expect from QOS, but I'd hope that I could prioritize the phone, and let the download/netfilx just take its time. I wait for downloads anyhow (usually unattended), and pausing a movie is preferable to repeating "what, I missed that - say again!!??. It's just kind of a pain to yell out to the rest of the family - 'anyone downloading anything, I can't hear Auntie Em?!'

Ping, packet-loss and jitter are good, and that is often more important than raw speed, from what I've come to understand.

FYI - the internet connection is a 'point-to-point' wireless (Motorola Canopy system), so the speed is not the greatest, but OK for most things I do.

-KenC

OregonVoIP
06-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks, but I've had two different VOIP systems on this internet connection for about five years (Callvantage with AT&T, which they discontinued, now T-Mobile@Home), and they work fine as long as there is no heavy traffic from other devices. I honestly don't know how much to expect from QOS, but I'd hope that I could prioritize the phone, and let the download/netfilx just take its time. I wait for downloads anyhow (usually unattended), and pausing a movie is preferable to repeating "what, I missed that - say again!!??. It's just kind of a pain to yell out to the rest of the family - 'anyone downloading anything, I can't hear Auntie Em?!'

Ping, packet-loss and jitter are good, and that is often more important than raw speed, from what I've come to understand.

FYI - the internet connection is a 'point-to-point' wireless (Motorola Canopy system), so the speed is not the greatest, but OK for most things I do.

-KenC

Need to setup your router with QoS priority, and what degree of priority. It will slow down your computer and netflix speeds a bit while on calls, but ensures voice packets get first dibs.

ymhee_bcex
06-25-2012, 05:23 PM
It is important to clarify a few things:
VoIP calls take about 100Kbps each way. In reality, a little less, and you can play some games with codecs and compression - but to be on the safe side, assume 100kbps.

QoS is not helping if you have insufficient download bandwidth (and with 1Mbps watching HD movies and downloading large files from fast servers might do it for you). If incoming traffic saturates your modem, nothing that you do on your LAN (and QoS is set up on your router - that is, on your LAN) will help. Therefore, QoS will not slow down your Netflix, but you will still have to run around your house asking who is downloading large file. It might have worked before, but all those HD movies are more likely to impact your download capabilities today, and even more tomorrow).

Insufficient upstream bandwidth can be fixed by QoS. It doesn't matter whether you have modem == ATA with router == router or modem == router == ATA with router sequence.