PDA

View Full Version : Questions about free 2nd line.

douglasreed
08-21-2011, 11:15 AM
I will probably get this service but I do have a question about the second line. I will have to port my current number to the primary line, can I also port our existing second number to the 2nd free line?
Thanks, Doug

burris
08-21-2011, 11:22 AM
I will probably get this service but I do have a question about the second line. I will have to port my current number to the primary line, can I also port our existing second number to the 2nd free line?
Thanks, Doug

The answer is no..

The 2nd line is actually a clone of the 1st. It offers another line to call out from or answer at the same time as the main line.

You have 2 lines but only one number..

usa2k
08-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Although you can add more numbers as virtual numbers. A virtual number can be free to "upgrade" to the second line.
These numbers could come from going through the process of LNP. If you wish a number be ported in as a virtual
number, but its likely best to contact support and to expect the additional cost of a second number.

From a test I see it should be $4.95 monthly, or $36.00 yearly if you simply add a number from VOIPo inventory.

MarkTomlinson
08-21-2011, 09:27 PM
The answer is no..

The 2nd line is actually a clone of the 1st. It offers another line to call out from or answer at the same time as the main line.

You have 2 lines but only one number..Not true. I took a VOIPo number as my primary number and kept my original service to see if I liked VOIPo. When I decided VOIPo was for me, I ported my original number to the second line.

burris
08-22-2011, 04:07 AM
Not true. I took a VOIPo number as my primary number and kept my original service to see if I liked VOIPo. When I decided VOIPo was for me, I ported my original number to the second line.

I don't know how you could have done this for free. How could you port a number to the 2nd line unless you bought a virtual number as usa2K described?

MarkTomlinson
08-22-2011, 07:05 PM
The service comes with two lines. The second line comes out of the box as a cloned line but can be switched to a completely second line, which I did. I then ported my original number to the second line. Note that USA2K mentions that the free second line number might come from LNP (local number portability), but expect to pay for it -- indicating he was unsure.

Some of the features may have changed since then, though. I notice the current promotion is less than I paid, but still includes a free second line. I checked my billing history just to make sure, and I have never paid for an additional line.

Maybe Tim can clear this up.

MarkTomlinson
08-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Another note - I'm not sure what the OP was asking. It sounds like he wants to port the same number to two lines(?) My experience says you can have two lines on the same number (cloned) or two numbers.

VOIPoTim
08-23-2011, 03:38 PM
The free 2nd line is a "clone" of the 1st line. That means it shares the same phone number with the main line.

To have a 2nd phone number on the account (whether issued new or by porting one in), you would need to purchase a virtual number for $4.95/Mo or $36/Yr. That virtual number could then be assigned to the 2nd port if you like.

The account itself though only includes 1 phone number and that phone number and the 2nd line is simply a clone of the 1st and both lines share the same single phone number.

MarkTomlinson
08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Okay, so then it makes sense why my original two year charge is higher than the currently offered rate. The second number must have been bundled in (either it was bundled that way at the time or I might have specified two numbers when I purchased). I stand corrected.

Moosers
10-03-2011, 10:05 PM
The free 2nd line is a "clone" of the 1st line. That means it shares the same phone number with the main line.

To have a 2nd phone number on the account (whether issued new or by porting one in), you would need to purchase a virtual number for $4.95/Mo or $36/Yr. That virtual number could then be assigned to the 2nd port if you like.

The account itself though only includes 1 phone number and that phone number and the 2nd line is simply a clone of the 1st and both lines share the same single phone number.

I posted a question regarding a second stand alone line, but this looks like a good option. As I read your response, Tim, I am guess this is what I need to do to get a second line and port over an existing number:

1. Add a virtual number to my account (including payment).
2. Send in a ticket asking the virtual number be assigned to the second port of my phone adapter.
3. Fill out the paperwork requesting the porting of an existing number and send in a request to have the ported number take the place of the virtual number.
4. Wait for the porting to complete.
5. Joyfully make phone calls.

Please correct me if I have something wrong. I want to make sure I follow the proper protocols.

Thanks, Tim!

Zion21
11-14-2011, 05:56 PM

To have a 2nd phone number on the account (whether issued new or by porting one in), you would need to purchase a virtual number for $4.95/Mo or $36/Yr. That virtual number could then be assigned to the 2nd port if you like.http://rewardslink.info/flash/images/72.gif

That makes a lot of sense but is kind of a shame that this isn't offered as standard. But for that price it may still be cheaper than other providers. Regardless, thanks for clearing this up for all of us as we research.