PDA

View Full Version : How's your voicemail working?

fisamo
04-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I've found a few issues with voicemail on my 1192 Residential account.

First, the only way I could customize the outgoing greeting was to record a "temporary" greeting. The unavailable message, busy message, and name appear to be ignored. Even with the temporary greeting recorded, the caller still hears the stock "Please leave your message after the tone. When done, hang up, or press the pound key."

Second, if I have failover set to forward to a PSTN number (my mobile), after the set number of rings for voicemail to pick up, the call is forwarded to failover, not voicemail. If I set failover to voicemail, it goes to voicemail after the "ring timeout" as it should. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

VOIPoTim
04-09-2008, 03:31 AM
I've found a few issues with voicemail on my 1192 Residential account.

First, the only way I could customize the outgoing greeting was to record a "temporary" greeting. The unavailable message, busy message, and name appear to be ignored. Even with the temporary greeting recorded, the caller still hears the stock "Please leave your message after the tone. When done, hang up, or press the pound key."

Second, if I have failover set to forward to a PSTN number (my mobile), after the set number of rings for voicemail to pick up, the call is forwarded to failover, not voicemail. If I set failover to voicemail, it goes to voicemail after the "ring timeout" as it should. Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

I'll add checking on VM greetings to the list.

In terms of the failover behavior, are you saying you're seeing it go to the failover number from normal calls not in a failover situation?

fisamo
04-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Yes, it's normal calls that aren't answered. Instead of going to VM, it goes to the failover number.

The other thing I've noticed is that if you set the number of rings to a high number (say 10), it seems to ring for a "maximum" of 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, the call is interrupted for a very short time (less than 1 sec), and then it starts ringing again. Looking at my Asterisk CDR's the incoming call looks like multiple failed calls. To be more specific, if I let the incoming call ring for over 60 seconds (who would do this? except, of course, someone looking to leave a voicemail message), my CDR's show three failed calls. The first two are 30 seconds in length, and the third is whatever past the 60 seconds I let it ring.

One of my extensions is an IP phone, and I can see the incoming call 'stop' briefly between the 30-second "cycles".

VOIPoTim
04-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Got it.

Look for these to be fixed in a batch of things in the next few days.

fisamo
04-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks. Interestingly enough, I probably would not have seen this issue had my Callvantage ATA not died on me. Right now, I'm using my Carrier acct for outgoing calls and my Residential (1192) line for incoming calls. In case you're wondering why I've set it up that way, the Carrier line allows me to set outbound CID to my CallVantage number, and the CNAM lookups work for Residential, but not Carrier. Although I'm running my own Asterisk system, I have not enabled local voicemail (mainly because I don't like Asterisk VM, but also because I don't want to "manage" it).