PDA

View Full Version : Delayed delivery of inbound fax

RockyBB
04-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Someone sent me an order yesterday roughly 1:30pm to my VOIPo fax number 303-991-79XX and it didn't show up in my email until 10:21pm. Fearing it was lost, I had to have him refax it to my non-VOIPo fax number which delivered instantly. FWIW it was from the same customer that I had a call futz with after 15 minutes (reported elsewhere). He wondered who I was using ... I'll send the full header of the message to Tim in PM for analysis.

dswartz
04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Rocky, this sounds almost certainly like an SMTP issue. If voipo's mailer was unable to connect to your ISP's inbound SMTP server (and they will usually try a few times and then defer to much later...)

RockyBB
04-11-2008, 03:59 PM
it was to yahoo.com. looks like a 6 or 7 hour delay. I had a couple of VOIPo faxes this morning which were much more timely, as they have been in the past. the long delay yesterday was not a normal occurrence.

dswartz
04-11-2008, 04:10 PM
ah, this was NOT voipo's fault. yahoo has a major (IMO) defect in how they throttle email to their inbound servers. this can result in delays of days or longer. it's a misguided (and botched) attempt to do a form of greylisting.

quattrohead
04-11-2008, 06:56 PM
I think there are some general issues with the internet over the past few days.
I notice some sites being rather slow (yahoo for one) and just when I think I have a problem, they speed up again. Others are just fine.
I hope it does not die on me, I might have to get a real life !!!!

RockyBB
04-11-2008, 07:42 PM
I'll switch to gmail and see what happens. I've not noticed delayed delivery of other emails through yahoo.....

dswartz
04-11-2008, 09:21 PM
It's very random-seeming. If the server that is trying to deliver to yahoo happens to be on their "greylist", those emails can be delayed for hours or days. Yahoo can't/won't do anything about this. Most people's ISP have multiple outbound, as an example: if your isp has a.smtp.xxx.com through f.smtp.xxx.com, and d.smtp.isp.com is on the sh*tlist, outbound mails from xxx.com to yahoo have a 1/5 chance of hitting this. very very irritating...