PDA

View Full Version : Initial setup question

jimski
09-23-2011, 07:14 AM
My setup with ht502 will only work the wrong way; by plugging directly into router lan port & not rewiring the modem at all..
Tech support tells me this is not acceptable. I've read on this forum where others have done the same. Should I ignore tech
support or spend countless hours with them trying to get this to work the "right" way? ? ?

burris
09-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Perhaps you could explain your setup a little clearer...

Cable or DSL...and exactly wire by wire how you have it hooked up.

ThorsDad
09-23-2011, 11:27 AM
If I understand you correctly I don't see a problem. I'm not sure about the "right way" and "wrong way" If your connections are like this you should be OK:

Internet=>Modem=>Router=>HT-502

Above is how I have my network configured. Some people experience problems having the ATA behind their router. I made a few changes to my Netgear router's config. so it could handle VOIP traffic. To avoid router problems you can put the ATA between the modem and router like this:

Internet=>Modem=>HT-502=>Router

If your phone is working with the ATA plugged into one of your routers LAN ports all is well. Be happy.

jimski
09-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Yes Thorsdad, that is exactly how mine is set up & working fine:

My only concern was that a voipo tech cautioned against such a configuration because it is not the prescribed "right" way per their instructions. I am happy now, but being a network challenged person, just because something is working OK now for 1 day doesn't mean. . .! Since my initial post, I was able to talk live to another tech & he pretty much agreed that until I encounter any dropped calls or hangups, just be happy. So I'll be happy . Thanks. :)

burris
09-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Yes Thorsdad, that is exactly how mine is set up & working fine:

My only concern was that a voipo tech cautioned against such a configuration because it is not the prescribed "right" way per their instructions. I am happy now, but being a network challenged person, just because something is working OK now for 1 day doesn't mean. . .! Since my initial post, I was able to talk live to another tech & he pretty much agreed that until I encounter any dropped calls or hangups, just be happy. So I'll be happy . Thanks. :)

I think what they're talking about is that if your audio has a problem with either end, you should have them port forward a group of ports to your ATA.

The way you have it is the only way I would ever set mine up as putting it before your router might make you transparent to hacking.

Leave it as you have it and if you experience an audio problem, have them do what I suggest...

jimski
09-24-2011, 05:15 AM
OK.Will do. Thanks Burris.