PDA

View Full Version : BYOD SIP server in Dallas ongoing problems

tritch
01-20-2015, 04:43 PM
My father who is on this BYOD server in Dallas is having the same issues again (outbound calls fail, incoming calls going to failover). This has happened so many times over the past couple of years that I've lost count. I helped him switch over to SIP7 this afternoon and the problems have gone away. I see the same complaints over in the reseller forum.....

Voipo needs to get a handle on these issues that plague this BYOD server over and over again in Dallas.

I'm BYOD on their main SIP server in Dallas (sip-central01) and don't see these reliability issues, so something else is going on that's specific to this server in the same datacenter.

Tim, could you please have someone from your support team address this issue?

Thanks!

tritch
01-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Update:
He's had similar problems with SIP7 for the past 2 days, but seems to be working OK for now. It's pretty bad when even Voipo-to-Voipo calls fail to work properly. I see over in the reseller forum that the issue seems to have been addressed, but I wonder for how long??

IMO, these BYOD servers seem to lack adequate attention and are simply unreliable for any length of time. Their main SIP servers for their provisioned users seem more stable.

Feature request:
I would love to see the option of purchasing the SIP credentials for the main SIP server (central01). A reasonable fee of $20-$30 to obtain the credentials would be appreciated. I would gladly pay for him, but suspect he would pay for it anyway just to stop the aggravation. I understand that no technical support would still be given to BYOD users....just asking for the credentials like it used to be in the early days of Voipo.

chpalmer
01-23-2015, 04:13 PM
nm reread the original post.

VOIPoTim
01-23-2015, 04:21 PM
My father who is on this BYOD server in Dallas is having the same issues again (outbound calls fail, incoming calls going to failover). This has happened so many times over the past couple of years that I've lost count. I helped him switch over to SIP7 this afternoon and the problems have gone away. I see the same complaints over in the reseller forum.....

Voipo needs to get a handle on these issues that plague this BYOD server over and over again in Dallas.

I'm BYOD on their main SIP server in Dallas (sip-central01) and don't see these reliability issues, so something else is going on that's specific to this server in the same datacenter.

Tim, could you please have someone from your support team address this issue?

Thanks!

Do you have a ticket open? What's the ticket number?

tritch
01-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Do you have a ticket open? What's the ticket number?

Tim, there's no ticket open. I started to see complaints over in the reseller forum, so I knew something was going on and happy to see it was resolved. It's just that he's starting to get very frustrated with SIP and SIP7 not working reliably and was considering dropping the service once his prepaid term is up. I suppose he could have put the provisioned ATA back on line, but it lacks the features that his current ATA provides.

Anyway, I thought there was no tech support for BYOD, so no ticket was ever opened.

Thanks for checking....hopefully things are back to normal.

VOIPoTim
01-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Tim, there's no ticket open. I started to see complaints over in the reseller forum, so I knew something was going on and happy to see it was resolved. It's just that he's starting to get very frustrated with SIP and SIP7 not working reliably and was considering dropping the service once his prepaid term is up. I suppose he could have put the provisioned ATA back on line, but it lacks the features that his current ATA provides.

Anyway, I thought there was no tech support for BYOD, so no ticket was ever opened.

Thanks for checking....hopefully things are back to normal.

Ok just wanted to be sure you weren't still seeing issues since we had cleared up earlier as I explained.

Out of curiosity, what device is being used and what's the missing functionality of the Grandstream that it provides?

tritch
01-23-2015, 06:44 PM
Out of curiosity, what device is being used and what's the missing functionality of the Grandstream that it provides?

He's using the Linksys SPA2102 for BYOD. Voipo did not provide him with a Grandstream because he signed up back in Nov 2010 and got the old Linksys RT31P2 instead.

This RT31P2 model lacks strict DTMF controls (for talk-off issues), IP restriction (for DMZ), internal speed dials, etc. Plus, I made many other tweaks for him which are not allowed on provisioned ATA's (custom dial plans, etc) which made it better for him overall. Besides, he's got it hooked to his house wiring which back feeds all his phone ports. Grandstream products are notorious for FXS port failures with type of setup, whereas Linksys and OBI products typically are not.

The model of ATA is not the heart of the issue here, it's just the dependability of the BYOD SIP servers lately that have got him upset again. Most of our calls are Voipo-to-Voipo calls between us, when this doesn't even work I'm getting pretty peeved myself.

VOIPoTim
01-23-2015, 06:51 PM
The model of ATA is not the heart of the issue here, it's just the dependability of the BYOD SIP servers lately that have got him upset again. Most of our calls are Voipo-to-Voipo calls between us, when this doesn't even work I'm getting pretty peeved myself.

The only difference in our BYOD SIP and normal SIP servers are that the normal ones are in a closed environment that we control because only the devices we provision are on the normal ones.

Everything is the same besides the fact that on BYOD people can use whatever devices they want since they have their credentials with the exception of additional international restrictions.

tritch
01-23-2015, 07:34 PM
Ok, I consider this matter resolved for now. I know the priority core of your business is provisioned users and respect the fact that you do allow BYOD.

I'm hoping at least that Voipo will keep a somewhat better focus on the BYOD servers....Thanks to you and your support team for fixing the issue!