PDA

View Full Version : Sending voicemail attachments to multiple emails (WORKING)

webman2k
09-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Hello,

I'm a new user, and one of my initial questions to support before I signed on was whether or not you could have the voicemails forwarded to two email addresses, instead of just one, since my wife and I both like to get notifications. The support staff said it wasn't possible currently, but it wasn't a huge deal because I could just send it to a catch address that would forward it to whatever.

After signing up, I visited the voicemail setup page, and there was the one field. Being a coder myself, and having written a few different email processing scripts in my day, I thought I'd try something that works on some email form scripts. I just entered two email addresses, separated by a comma. Since this data is likely just entered into the "to" field of the resulting email, it should work... and it did. Both emails got the voicemail. I'm not sure if this will work with more than two, but there you go.

One odd thing, when I view raw details on the message, the "to" field reads this:

"xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com, xxxxxxxxxx"@gmail.com

That second quote shouldn't be there, and I'm not sure if that's Google, or voipo adding that in, but who knows - your milage may vary.

DaveH
09-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Web,

I guess we can file this in the "great minds think alike" bucket. Then again ...

Anyway, I've been with VOIPo for about 3 months now. I did the same thing as you, and for the same reason. Works like a charm.

I to do some web scripting as well, and figured if they were just passing the email address via a script, then a comma separated list should work as well.

Hey, you never know until you try, right?

I just checked my email list, and I don't have the extraneous ticks, and I am viewing on Chrome, so I'm not sure what that's about.

At any rate, never thought of posting it.

Glad you did.

BTW, I hope you are having a good initial experience with VOIPo. After about a 3 week period of working through some technical issues, all has been well.

The features are great. Especially the call routing and features for preventing "unwelcome" phone calls. The SIP phone feature is really cool too. Try that out if you haven't
already.

Welcome aboard.

Dave.

webman2k
09-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the reply, and the welcome. It seems to be a very satisfied community, and the reviews were very positive.

I've only had it hooked up for a day. Got the Linksys RT31P2. Plugged it into my existing router, and it worked without a hitch. Have made a few calls - gotten some, no issues.

Any advice? Settings? What were the initial issues you had? Thanks!

-Mark

DaveH
09-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Well, my issue stemmed from a coupe of things.

I am a Cablevision customer (Optonline) and about the same time I signed up with VOIPo, I swapped out an old cable modem I had for about 10 years, and replaced it with a Scientific Atlanta DPX2203. Turns out the initial one I was given was problematic and kept on recycling my connection. A problem in itself, but an additional "feature" that the modem has a built in DHCP server that is only active when your modem is not getting a proper connection. When that happens, the modem issues the private IP of 192.168.100.10, and the Grandstream registers with VOIPo with that IP. Then when my connection came back, a public IP is issued, but my ATA does not re-register. So, I would see 4 registration lines, and the VOIPo servers would get confused, and my phone calls would fail.

Kind of confusing, but you can follow the link out on DSLReports.com. I had a lot of VOIP heads helping me and I ended up knowing more about VOIP than I cared to!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26106970-Another-general-question-for-you-VOIP-experts-.

At any rate, once I swapped out the DCP2203 for a new one, put the ATA inside my network and assigned it a private IP address, and VOIPo fixed a registration expiration parameter on their end, all was well!!

As far as advice/settings, the most handy feature in my opinion is the call routing. It's really easy to blacklist, or have certain numbers disconnected, or even forward pesky credit card scammers directly to the FCC with a couple mouse clicks!

That and the SIP phone. I can literaly use my DroidX from anywhere in the world and make and receive calls from my home number.

Your home phone has become literally location-less.

Dave.

DaveH
09-29-2011, 06:44 AM
Mark, just so you know, I did reply.

My post is hung up somewhere waiting for the moderator to approve. Probably because I included a link in it.

Hopefully it will go through soon.

Dave.

webman2k
10-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Well, my issue stemmed from a coupe of things.

I am a Cablevision customer (Optonline) and about the same time I signed up with VOIPo, I swapped out an old cable modem I had for about 10 years, and replaced it with a Scientific Atlanta DPX2203. Turns out the initial one I was given was problematic and kept on recycling my connection. A problem in itself, but an additional "feature" that the modem has a built in DHCP server that is only active when your modem is not getting a proper connection. When that happens, the modem issues the private IP of 192.168.100.10, and the Grandstream registers with VOIPo with that IP. Then when my connection came back, a public IP is issued, but my ATA does not re-register. So, I would see 4 registration lines, and the VOIPo servers would get confused, and my phone calls would fail.

Kind of confusing, but you can follow the link out on DSLReports.com. I had a lot of VOIP heads helping me and I ended up knowing more about VOIP than I cared to!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26106970-Another-general-question-for-you-VOIP-experts-.

At any rate, once I swapped out the DCP2203 for a new one, put the ATA inside my network and assigned it a private IP address, and VOIPo fixed a registration expiration parameter on their end, all was well!!

As far as advice/settings, the most handy feature in my opinion is the call routing. It's really easy to blacklist, or have certain numbers disconnected, or even forward pesky credit card scammers directly to the FCC with a couple mouse clicks!

That and the SIP phone. I can literally use my DroidX from anywhere in the world and make and receive calls from my home number.

Your home phone has become literally location-less.

Dave.

Thanks for the response Dave.

I had some dropped call issues, but port forwarding, a static IP address, and some magic on the Voipo end have helped. Only one issue since, but support is always on top of things. I think anything like this takes some tweaks to get perfect, but once you're there, it's great. I'm confident I chose the right company. It's great to talk to real people when you need to.

karlkras
10-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Interesting. I attempted to use a ';' as the delimiter and it didn't work. I'll try the ',' and test again. Thanks for the post!

new guy,
Karl

follow up:
and indeed, after replacing the ; with , it works as described. Thanks again.