PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Default Area Code

sfink16
10-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Hello All,

I did an "area code" search but couldn't find the answer on the forums. I did a Google search some time ago (and found the answer) but can no longer find the answer.

Is there a way to make a change in the router for the default area code it dials. It would be nice to dial local calls without having to always put an area code in.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

ThorsDad
10-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Isn't your default area code the one assigned to the main number on your account? My accounts main phone number is 650-XXX-XXXX and I can 7-digit dial any number in the 650 area code. I didn't have to do anything it just works that way.

burris
10-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I think the dial string in the ATA does this. Not the router.

sfink16
10-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Burris, Thors, thanks for the replies!

It seems that dialing within my area code works sometimes. I dial work without the area code and it rings with no other activity in the placed call. I dial the same number with the area code and it works fine.

Burris, what is the dial string in the ATA and how can I control it? Thanks!

EDIT: Research has taken me to the Control Panel, than the Phone/Modem options. It is here that I can enter "My Location" as an area to dial. Is this the location you are referring to?

burris
10-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Burris, Thors, thanks for the replies!

It seems that dialing within my area code works sometimes. I dial work without the area code and it rings with no other activity in the placed call. I dial the same number with the area code and it works fine.

Burris, what is the dial string in the ATA and how can I control it? Thanks!

EDIT: Research has taken me to the Control Panel, than the Phone/Modem options. It is here that I can enter "My Location" as an area to dial. Is this the location you are referring to?

You can try that, but typically unless you have access to the admin in your ATA, VOIPo has to go in to change any programs.
If you ask them, I'm sure it won't be a problem....if...that is your problem.

Talk to them..ask them..describe what you want and see what they say..

sfink16
10-03-2011, 07:04 PM
You can try that, but typically unless you have access to the admin in your ATA, VOIPo has to go in to change any programs.
If you ask them, I'm sure it won't be a problem....if...that is your problem.

Talk to them..ask them..describe what you want and see what they say..

Thanks for the follow-up Burris, I'll give it a try!