PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to use wildcards in blacklist?

will
10-11-2011, 12:45 PM
I have been receiving dubious calls with spoofed caller ID information for several months now, which I believe to be part of an identity theft scam. When these phone calls come in, I hear a recorded advertisement offering to lower my credit card interest rate and directing me to press 1 to speak with a representative or to press 3 to discontinue future calls. The phone numbers that show up on caller ID for these calls have different area codes and prefixes each time they call, but the last four digits are always 9999. Is it possible to use wildcards for area code and prefix to blacklist all numbers ending in 9999?

MarkTomlinson
10-11-2011, 09:45 PM
I have been receiving dubious calls with spoofed caller ID information for several months now, which I believe to be part of an identity theft scam. When these phone calls come in, I hear a recorded advertisement offering to lower my credit card interest rate and directing me to press 1 to speak with a representative or to press 3 to discontinue future calls. The phone numbers that show up on caller ID for these calls have different area codes and prefixes each time they call, but the last four digits are always 9999. Is it possible to use wildcards for area code and prefix to blacklist all numbers ending in 9999?I've blacklisted them (the same guys) as ???????9999 and *******9999, but neither actually seems to work. Or, more precisely, I have still received voicemails from numbers ending in 9999. Can't say if it used to work and then stopped, or if works intermittently. But I can say, assuredly, that it doesn't appear to be working now.

EDIT: What the heck? I typed eight question marks and 9999, but the forum displays only one question mark plus 9999. Is there a special escape character?

voipinit
10-15-2011, 10:54 AM
I've blacklisted them (the same guys) as ???????9999 and *******9999, but neither actually seems to work. Or, more precisely, I have still received voicemails from numbers ending in 9999. Can't say if it used to work and then stopped, or if works intermittently. But I can say, assuredly, that it doesn't appear to be working now.

EDIT: What the heck? I typed eight question marks and 9999, but the forum displays only one question mark plus 9999. Is there a special escape character?

All numbers must be 10 characters total - so to block numbers ending in 9999 you would enter ******9999 (6 asteriks and 9999).

holmes4
10-18-2011, 11:51 AM
These robocalls are not identity theft but marketing a credit card. They are a national nuisance and one company has already been fined heavily for them, but the calls continue.

I find that blocking numbers with 000 as the exchange helps, but not entirely. The caller ID info is always faked and changes frequently.

will
11-09-2011, 03:06 AM
These robocalls are not identity theft but marketing a credit card. They are a national nuisance and one company has already been fined heavily for them, but the calls continue.

I find that blocking numbers with 000 as the exchange helps, but not entirely. The caller ID info is always faked and changes frequently.
What legitimate telemarketing business would spoof their caller ID with a different area code and prefix every time they call? I've reported these calls to both the FCC and the FTC and both agencies have informed me that these folks are crooks trying to obtain credit card numbers from unsuspecting victims.