PDA

View Full Version : Blacklist options - which one is BEST

duster
10-13-2011, 08:42 PM
I see I can blacklist, busy signal, disconnected, voicemail and forward unwanted calls.......

What is the BEST ONE to make people NOT call me again ? I seem to blacklist phone numbers but I still get calls from them...

And what is the difference between the ACTION and APPLY blue button, shown AFTER I make my selection

Can I get a list of all the numbers I have BLACKLISTED as I can see if one I want on it is there ?

Thanks in advance...

tritch
10-13-2011, 10:19 PM
What is the BEST ONE to make people NOT call me again ? I seem to blacklist phone numbers but I still get calls from them...

I use DISCONNECTED.

And what is the difference between the ACTION and APPLY blue button, shown AFTER I make my selection

APPLY = applies the selection you make in the drop down box
NO ACTION = doesn't apply anything selected and simply closes the pop-up window

Can I get a list of all the numbers I have BLACKLISTED as I can see if one I want on it is there ?

In vPanel go to Features tab, click Call Routes, and look under Incoming Routes. You will see all the numbers that you have blacklisted, disconnected, etc. You can manually add/remove numbers as needed here as well.

duster
10-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Super, thanks!

MisterEd
10-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Usually I use DISCONNECTED but sometimes I like to forward certain unwanted callers to the "Rejection Hotline.": 773-509-5027

It's a funny line .... check it out.

Tooth
11-30-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm a new VoIPo customer and just got my service up and running successfully last week. Everything is working good so far and now I'd like to start doing a little tweaking. Anyway, I've already searched for an answer to this question on the forums but had no luck:

Is there any form of a vPanel "features glossary" that would give a description of what the various vPanel settings do?

Most settings seem pretty self-explanatory but, among other things, I'd like to know what happens when I apply different actions to incoming calls. For example, what happens when I set a number to "blacklist", "busy signal", or "disconnect"? Which have most of you found to be most effective in preventing calls from telemarketers, etc?

Thanks.

Tooth
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
When I select "Disconnected" as an incoming call action, what does the caller hear? Is it a message that says, "this number has been disconnected" or something to that extent?

VOIPoTim
12-02-2011, 12:09 PM
When I select "Disconnected" as an incoming call action, what does the caller hear? Is it a message that says, "this number has been disconnected" or something to that extent?

Yes, it's the standard disconnected message.

trman
12-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I would truly like to see this too. Better would be context sensitive help in the Vpanel, but as a minimum we need a help page keyed to each menu item in the Vpanel that explains exactly what each option does.

For example what is MWI? Not in the glossary, I checked, however under the "voicemail" tab in the "select mailbox" section there is a box to click that says "update MWI" with no explanation of what MWI is.

Just one of several things I saw that would save a lot of time for new users if there were a proper help file, also would save lots of support time for Voipo.

I'm a new VoIPo customer and just got my service up and running successfully last week. Everything is working good so far and now I'd like to start doing a little tweaking. Anyway, I've already searched for an answer to this question on the forums but had no luck:

Is there any form of a vPanel "features glossary" that would give a description of what the various vPanel settings do?

Most settings seem pretty self-explanatory but, among other things, I'd like to know what happens when I apply different actions to incoming calls. For example, what happens when I set a number to "blacklist", "busy signal", or "disconnect"? Which have most of you found to be most effective in preventing calls from telemarketers, etc?

Thanks.

MarkTomlinson
12-03-2011, 12:22 AM
MWI is Message Waiting Indicator. It's the red light that blinks on your phone when you have voicemail.

But, yeah, it would be nice if you didn't have to ask.

PinWiz
01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Someone up top mentioned a rejection hotline which I thought was genius. I found 7722574501 which is the Rick Astley "RickRoll'd" hotline. Free to use. I've only had Voipo for a week and put 5 numbers on it already.

Thank you Voipo :) ATT had a blacklist service that cost $5 a month. You could only have 10 numbers on it at a time. Uh, no thanks.

mckeanfive
01-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Someone up top mentioned a rejection hotline which I thought was genius. I found 7722574501 which is the Rick Astley "RickRoll'd" hotline. Free to use. I've only had Voipo for a week and put 5 numbers on it already.

Thank you Voipo :) ATT had a blacklist service that cost $5 a month. You could only have 10 numbers on it at a time. Uh, no thanks.

I've been diddling with the vpanel to experiment with whitelisting (which I had no idea what that was until I found a blurb that it allows a contact through), blacklisting which I was able to get something (number is not in service or something) and even disconnected I think.

Moving right along, trying to get this forum suggestion to route the incoming number to the rejection hotline, or anything else, and I can't get anything to work to that extent. At the moment, I have (unintentionally) setup a call route for the number to go to "Busy Signal", and I can't get it removed from the routing page at all. Click-Remove-No change. Logout/Login No change. Browser problem maybe? Ok, use a completely different browser. No change. Call is stuck at busy, and that's the end of that.

Anywho, if I can ever get support to get this number freed up, can someone please walk through step by step how (in theory) to get a dedicated number to forward to the "rejection hotline". Oh, and I also tried to set up a contact group called "Rejection" and forward the whole group to an alternate number, and that didn't work either.

mckeanfive
01-14-2012, 09:51 AM
OMG - replying to my own post whenever it gets through moderation.

I setup call routing and forwarding using the 999-999-9999 format. Well, Vpanel doesn't have any issue accepting those numbers, and you can't ever remove them once setup, but lesson learned - don't use that format and the call forwarding seems to work fine.

Of course, there is some bugginess in the vpanel with respect to picking a group to forward - I need to click a contact, then go back and the group selection box populates and I can then seemingly forward the whole group.

Okay, that was 45 minutes of my life I wish I had back.

As you were soldiers.

Ansextra
12-17-2013, 01:33 PM
I realize this is an old thread but where are the "blacklist" options? I see how to blacklist a number but not the options on what happens to that number when using the new Vpanel Beta.

PinWiz
12-18-2013, 10:47 PM
I realize this is an old thread but where are the "blacklist" options? I see how to blacklist a number but not the options on what happens to that number when using the new Vpanel Beta.

I don't use the beta panel but the list I've generated is found under "features," then "call routes." The list is generated when I go to "Call History" and click on a suspect number. That number comes up with information and a drop down menu...from there I tell Voipo what to do with that number. It's easiest to select "disconnected" and be done with it. If you like to have fun you can look up where the call originated from and route (forward) the call to its closest regional FBI facility. The possibilities are endless.

Ansextra
12-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks Pinwiz...I found that dropdown after my post but thought there might be somewhere else as well. You're right, though. There is potential fun to be had with telemarketers... :)

ki4zbo
12-20-2013, 11:36 PM
I simply put EVERYONE on the DISCONNECTED list. ********** - DISCONNECTED.
Only have 12 or so people on the whitelist. So now when my phone rings, I know it's safe to answer. :)

MisterEd
12-22-2013, 05:52 PM
I simply put EVERYONE on the DISCONNECTED list. ********** - DISCONNECTED.
Only have 12 or so people on the whitelist. So now when my phone rings, I know it's safe to answer. :)

Sending everyone to disconnect except whitelist could be dangerous under some circumstances. What if a family member calls you from an emergency room in a hospital (or maybe jail and needs bail :) ). The ROUTE wildcards work great but you can't do wildcards in whitelist or groups.