PDA

View Full Version : Swap real and virtual DID to use Gigaset C610A IP phone with free second DID

lifespeed
10-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi,

My mother is finally planning on addressing some echo issues caused by the VoIPo-supplied ATA by buying a proper SIP phone; a Gigaset C610A IP.

She currently has two DID with VoIPo, one of which is provided free. My mom's husband is very fond of VoIPo because they are so competitive on price. Because of this, at least for the moment, I would not like to ask them to pay any more for monthly service. Once they see the beauty of a G722 phone to call friends and family using SIP URI, we may look at paying for a second 'real' DID.

But today, I would like to ask if VoIPo would be able to switch the DID for the 'virtual' second number to be the 'real' DID, and the 'real' DID to be virtual. The reason being the DID that is currently the free second number is the one that we want to use with the IP phone. I don't believe VoIPo will allow the second DID to be used with a BYOD device, hence the reason to want to switch the two DID.

This seems like a reasonable enough request. Is there any reason VoIPo could not accomodate this? Like I said, it may be possible to convince my thrifty step-father to pay for two VoIPo accounts in the future to accomodate two SIP phones with VoIPo. But this would only happen once the benefit is shown to him in actual practice.

Lifespeed

tritch
10-17-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm sure they can swap your main number with the free virtual number for a small fee. I'm just trying to figure out why you need to swap numbers to test out a BYOD device. I'm guessing you need the swap because you converted the virtual number into a independent line on the 2nd phone port and this is the line your step father uses.

lifespeed
10-17-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't need to test, the phone model I chose works well for many people and many providers. I need the phone associated with the second DID, and VoIPo does not allow BYOD for the second DID. It is a problem created by their policies I am trying to work around.

tritch
10-17-2011, 06:15 PM
You still have me confused about the reasoning to swap numbers. If your virtual number is not currently an independent line on port 2, then swapping the numbers doesn't accomplish anything. Whether you apply the BYOD credentials now (or after the swap) to your SIP phone now, all incoming calls from both DID's will ring your SIP phone and any other phones you have hooked to your ATA. The only reason that I can see to swap numbers is if you plan to convert your current main number to a 2nd line after it's been swapped to a virtual number.