PDA

View Full Version : Caller ID info

NY Tel Guy
05-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Ok here is my situation and I need to validate this.

I have more phone lines than the phone company itself but I need someone to give me some advice - even Tim can weigh in on this.

From my AT&T CallVantage line, when I call AT&T Subscribers or Verizon etc.
The callers see my real name Robert (Lastname)
When I call Viatalk Subscribers, Comcast subscribers their caller ID says
"Dwight Williams" who was the previous owner of that phone number.

So now my question is: I wonder what my caller ID says when I call a Voipo person (don't have my new adapter yet to test incoming) and if it says Dwight Williams - how do I go about getting that corrected?

I already reported it to AT&T today but was just curious if someone else can shed light on how those carriers can get their databases or the one they pull from updated.

Thanks!

Signed:
Bob
A.K.A. Dwight Williams ;)

Montano
05-05-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't believe Voipo shows name on outbound calls. But call my Voipo line and I'll confirm. :)

NY Tel Guy
05-05-2008, 02:38 PM
I don't believe Voipo shows name on outbound calls. But call my Voipo line and I'll confirm. :)

Ok I just spoke from coast to coast to Montano from My CallVantage line to his Voipo line (thank you Nick) and he verified that my caller ID says "Dwight Williams" instead of my real name.

Tim, is there a way to get this fixed (other than me reporting it to AT&T)?

VOIPoTim
05-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Basically the underlying CLEC who owns the number is the only one who can correct it. Sometimes they will take instructions from their customer and some refuse to put a name in from anyone.

NY Tel Guy
05-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Basically the underlying CLEC who owns the number is the only one who can correct it. Sometimes they will take instructions from their customer and some refuse to put a name in from anyone.

OK well then I did the right thing by reporting it to AT&T. Especially since half the world views me as Robert and the other half as Dwight. :)

It is not the end of the world, now I have to figure out how I can run a Ponzi scheme as Dwight......:eek:

Ok that was a joke - I never meant to expressly imply or infer that I would ever do aything fraudulent in life. Bad Karma....

Signed,

Sigfried

fisamo
05-05-2008, 04:06 PM
I noticed this same issue when attempting to use CallVantage's "Caller ID - Name Block" feature. My voipo and viatalk lines always showed my name after activating that feature, but BellSouth lines showed my number in both fields...

Filing the issue with AT&T was probably about the only real approach to the situation. I'm not sure how L3 or PAETEC/US LEC update their LIDB databases, but that's likely where the issue is.

gbh2o
05-05-2008, 07:28 PM
It is not the end of the world, now I have to figure out how I can run a Ponzi scheme as Dwight......:eek:

Just think, they could have done you the favor of making it "Political Msg" like some I've been seeing lately!