PDA

View Full Version : Call Logs in VPanel

burris
05-08-2008, 06:37 AM
I am up and running really well, thanks to Norm and Tim.

I do notice, however, that the last call I see in my VPanel log is at 5pm yesterday.

Nothing urgent, but I wonder why this is so.

burris

VOIPoTim
05-08-2008, 09:16 AM
The Call Log engine is actually being redone this week. We've discovered when auditing our system that the previous method was not very reliable or and likely wouldn't be stable long-term.

Obviously CDRs are a pretty important aspect of the business since they are directly related to billing, so we wanted to be sure they were 100% before launch.

They will be up and down while they are being redone.

gbh2o
05-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Just checking, how soon do you expect to be able to bring back the billing section to the Vpanel?

VOIPoTim
05-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Just checking, how soon do you expect to be able to bring back the billing section to the Vpanel?

For the BETA launch, we will be using a commercial billing system which will be seperate from vPanel. We're using a system that while not designed for VoIP specifically has proven to be stable and works well. We actually purchased a network wide license from them so we can give licenses out to our hosting resellers and it seems logically to build a plugin to integrate with this software so that our hosting resellers already using it will be able to easily add VoIPo in with their existing billing software when that time comes.

During this launch, we're going to run the integrated billing system hidden in the background (calculating, but not billing anyone) in order to find problem areas with it. It should work and we don't know of anything major, but I really don't trust it given the numerous issues we've found with work done by the same developer.

We'll see how it goes and modify it as needed and then by the time we're going primetime, we'll be fully migrated to the custom billing system.

gbh2o
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
For the BETA launch, we will be using a commercial billing system which will be seperate from vPanel. We're using a system that while not designed for VoIP specifically has proven to be stable and works well. We actually purchased a network wide license from them so we can give licenses out to our hosting resellers and it seems logically to build a plugin to integrate with this software so that our hosting resellers already using it will be able to easily add VoIPo in with their existing billing software when that time comes.

During this launch, we're going to run the integrated billing system hidden in the background (calculating, but not billing anyone) in order to find problem areas with it. It should work and we don't know of anything major, but I really don't trust it given the numerous issues we've found with work done by the same developer.

We'll see how it goes and modify it as needed and then by the time we're going primetime, we'll be fully migrated to the custom billing system.

It sounds more like you're going into a public beta period than to an actual product launch. I sure wouldn't want to risk the wrath of paying customers without a billing system that has been tested and validated/verified as working correctly. There have been too many horror tales in the VoIP community about companies' billing system errors which have been (mis-)perceived as policy.

Maybe we need to turn down the excitement level and rhetoric about the 'launch' in the public forms; it doesn't sound like you're really ready yet.

christcorp
05-08-2008, 12:21 PM
I can't speak for anyone at voipo, but I know that many providers open up service to the public knowing that there will be some bugs that will need to be worked out. Internally, they refer to it as a beta program. Externally, they inform their customers of "upgrades", "Bug fixes", etc... There is no way to guarantee a 100% perfect bug free service. There's too many different isp's, clecs, gateways to pots, etc... that are involved. Unless you had a beta tester in every single rate center, with every imaginable internet connection, it's difficult to guarantee the type of reliability and dependability that a company in business 3-5 years has.

I agree that they shouldn't use the word "BETA" when releasing it to the public. As long as they have their billing, accounting, pricing, equipment, service, support, etc... all in place and working good, they should be good to go. When I first went with Packet8, there were a lot of functions that weren't immediately available. Including 7 digit dialing, full online account access, etc... As long as customers have access to their call log and their monthly charges, it isn't important if they have direct access to the actual billing records. Especially if that is a planned item that is scheduled to be added within a few months. Definitely different ways of looking at. But using the word "Beta" can definitely have different meanings to different people. Later.... Mike....

burris
05-08-2008, 05:35 PM
The Call Log engine is actually being redone this week. We've discovered when auditing our system that the previous method was not very reliable or and likely wouldn't be stable long-term.

Obviously CDRs are a pretty important aspect of the business since they are directly related to billing, so we wanted to be sure they were 100% before launch.

They will be up and down while they are being redone.

I just went to my VPanel and my calls are there...real time..thanks..

Yeah, I know...as you said, they will be up and down.:rolleyes:

VOIPoTim
05-08-2008, 05:47 PM
At least it's not the service itself that's up and down though, right? :)

burris
05-08-2008, 06:28 PM
At least it's not the service itself that's up and down though, right? :)

You got that right..;)