PDA

View Full Version : Problems with HT-502 ATA on UPS?

robhouston
12-21-2011, 12:29 PM
I experienced a big surprise recently. I had decided to plug my Voipo HT-502 ATA into a UPS, since I've recently experienced several power outages and wanted to maintain the telephone service for at least a short period during an outage.

Within a day, I began noticing issues with the telephone service, such as one-party couldn't hear the other on an incoming call, continued ringing on the caller end after the call had been answered, and other similar issues. I contacted Voipo support, and after going through the normal network checks which showed no problem, I was asked if I had the ATA plugged into a surge protector or UPS. I said "yes", and then realized that I had just moved it over to the UPS a couple of days before the issues arose. I was advised to remove the UPS as the power source.

Once I plugged the ATA back into a house outlet, everything returned to normal.

Is this kind of a fluke, or have others experienced the same issues when using a UPS? Is there any way around this in an effort to maintain telephone service during a power outage?

Thanks!

burris
12-21-2011, 02:42 PM
I have all my products including HT-502 for many years on UPS and have never had a problem....

However, if you have some other external surge protection on the line, this could maybe cause a problem. I don't begin to understand how a UPS could cause the specific problem you cited.

robhouston
12-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Yeah, it's a head-scratcher. I can duplicate the problem, so I've confirmed that the UPS is somehow interacting with the ATA in a way that causes problems similar to what you might expect with network issues. However, I have no idea why this happens. I suppose I should substitute another UPS to see if that makes a difference.

Burris, thanks for your response!

burris
12-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Yeah, it's a head-scratcher. I can duplicate the problem, so I've confirmed that the UPS is somehow interacting with the ATA in a way that causes problems similar to what you might expect with network issues. However, I have no idea why this happens. I suppose I should substitute another UPS to see if that makes a difference.

Burris, thanks for your response!

I know this may be crazy, but are you on the battery backup side of the UPS and not just the surge protector..

In any event, someone will have to tell me how this can cause the problem you are experiencing...

Brandon...are you listening???

robhouston
12-22-2011, 05:12 AM
Yes, I'm on the battery backup side of the UPS. You've given me an idea-------I should also move the power plug to only the surge protector side to see if I can isolate the issue to the backup side of the UPS.

Thanks!

GreenLantern
12-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Yes, if the UPS is defective or supplying inconsistent current, it could cause all kinds of problems. You may have just identified your UPS as defective. But I'm still skeptical. I'd suggest doing more testing and verification/isolation before tossing the UPS in the recycle bin.