PDA

View Full Version : Lots of dropped calls, Loss of Registration issues

tritch
01-11-2012, 01:09 PM
I've been having a lot of dropped calls/dead air/phone not ringing after dialing issues starting yesterday. Today it's getting worse with random loss of registrations. My father and I both have Voipo and were seeing the same issues. I've never seen this degradation in service in over 2+ years of service. The problem seems to be most definitely on Voipo's side as I have isolated my network as not being the cause. All types of calls are affected including incoming, outgoing and Voipo to Voipo calls. Anyone else seeing these problems especially today?

VOIPoTim
01-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Support is the lowest today that it's been in a month so I don't think there are any issues on our end.

I'd recommend contacting us so a technician can help you troubleshoot.

vicious november
01-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Same issue. Within the last 4-5 weeks I've had more dropped/dead air incoming calls than I ever had in the last 12 months I've had the service. I used to work for my cable company and I know my connection is healthy. I've configured 3 different routers of mine thinking my equipment was molesting the SIP/RTP traffic...

VOIPoTim
01-11-2012, 11:59 PM
If you have issues, e-mail support@voipo.com with details and we'll be happy to help. If possible, include an example call so we can look it up in our logs.

tritch
01-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Same issue. Within the last 4-5 weeks I've had more dropped/dead air incoming calls than I ever had in the last 12 months I've had the service. I used to work for my cable company and I know my connection is healthy. I've configured 3 different routers of mine thinking my equipment was molesting the SIP/RTP traffic...

Exactly. I've had the same setup for almost 3 years w/ no issues then suddenly lots of dropped/dead air calls on Wednesday and a few last week. No ISP problems w/ only 19ms latency to sip-central01. I reset the ATA and my router multiple times to no avail. All of the required UDP ports were already forwarded. About 50% of my calls on Wednesday were affected including Voipo to Voipo calls. Last week, I had 3 consecutive incoming cell phones calls that went to dead air when answered. It was only on the 4th try did it answer correctly. I opened a support ticket on this issue and they couldn't see anything wrong. Very strange things going on recently.......

Support is the lowest today that it's been in a month so I don't think there are any issues on our end. I'd recommend contacting us so a technician can help you troubleshoot.

Tim,

I did not open a support ticket because I'm 99% sure the problem was not on my side. Calls seem to be okay today, but will open a ticket if the issue resumes again. It may have something to do with what the poster "patoka" said below in another thread about networklayer/softlayer having dropouts. Hopefully their issues are being looked at or have been resolved already.

I understand that there are 3rd parties involved with voip, some of the network tests I've run for support show dropouts in the middle of networklayer.com's routers.

christcorp
01-15-2012, 09:50 PM
I've noticed the same thing the last few days. Phone rings; answer it; dead air. My daughter, who is one of the ones calling in, said it rang a couple of times and then dead air on her side. (Probably about the time I picked up the phone). Outgoing calls are fine. Internet on my end is pretty stable. 20-30ms; 25-30mb down; 5mb up. I've rebooted my adapter. We'll see what happens. mike.....

burris
01-16-2012, 04:02 AM
We've been experiencing a bit of this also...but on some of those calls, if we remain on the line for an extra moment and the caller does as well, it seems to connect after a few extra seconds. Sounds strange but these kinds of things are hard to diagnose.

VOIPoBrandon
01-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Hello,

Can you guys select a few examples of verified problematic calls from each of your call history / account. Please provide "Call Reference ID" for each call that this audio event occurred on (via PM). This will allow for me to compile a list of data and search for any potential patterns as far as what you guys are experiencing. You can find the Call Reference ID in your VPanel / Call History by clicking on the applicable "Call From" or "Call To" phone number for the problematic call. Look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks!

VOIPoBrandon
01-19-2012, 02:09 AM
So far I've only received some call samples from a single person - so please do not forget to send me a message if you are experiencing dropped calls so we can further look into any potential root issues that you may be experiencing. Thanks!

bretski
01-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Brandon,

My wife told me that she had a lot of problems with outbound calls yesterday. I forgot to open a ticket until just now, but did so a few moments ago (MCH-246217). For the record, I've had to open two tickets in as many weeks now for call connection issues, after a looooooooooong period of basically trouble-free service.

I'll PM you a call reference now. For whatever reason, only one call actually logged yesterday (my wife said she made about 5-6 call attempts).

-Bret

bretski
01-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Brandon,

I just PM'd you a sample. Opened a ticket earlier this morning, before finding this thread on the forum. Outbound call issues, no voice on either end after connection. My wife told me that she had this problem with 5-6 calls yesterday. Interestingly, only one showed up in the logs.

Ticket number is: MCH-246217

rcboats24
01-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Brandon,

I've documented a few failed calls from yesterday in ticket: JIU-287819.

ram1220
01-20-2012, 08:45 AM
I documented some yesterday also. But tech support was not interested in them and closed out the ticket without even acknowledging the info I sent them. Complete waste of time. VOIPo is just acting as if they care. But in reality they ignored the info I sent and have no desire to fix the problems on their end. All they do is point blame back at the customer. Even when this info was requested by their Founder/CEO (another thread) it was ignored when it was given to them. Good luck to those of you willing to stick around and fight. I cancelled last night.

VOIPoBrandon
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Brandon,

I just PM'd you a sample. Opened a ticket earlier this morning, before finding this thread on the forum. Outbound call issues, no voice on either end after connection. My wife told me that she had this problem with 5-6 calls yesterday. Interestingly, only one showed up in the logs.

Ticket number is: MCH-246217

Just responded -- could you also PM me the phone number(s) she attempted to call yesterday that failed 5-6 times so I can check the route, thanks!

bretski
01-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Just PM'd back...still having problems with no voice. This just started happening within the last couple of weeks. I doubt it's my router, as I haven't made any changes to it in 6-8 months.

PS - I don't have the numbers she tried to dial the other day that didn't show up in the log, sorry!

voipinit
01-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Figured I'd chime in - after 2+ years of near flawless service, I am having (and been having for the last couple weeks) the exact problems described in this thread. Today, for example, I tried to place a call and it was dead air after dialing the number. I gave up and hung up the phone and called the person I was trying to reach on my cell phone. ~20 seconds into the call, their other phone (the one I tried to call on the VOIPo line) starting ringing and the person told me my home phone was calling. So I picked up the phone and sure enough it was ringing. This should not happen. There is obviously a delay and obviously a queue, and once in the queue the phone is going to complete the call whether or not you are still on the line or not. This is NOT an ISP problem, this is NOT a router problem, this is NOT an ATA problem so what's left? A capacity problem? or some other problem NOT on the customers end. The problem is sporadic but happens often enough that it's a nuisance.

voipinit
01-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Figure I'd chime in - after 2+ years of near flawless service, I am having (and been having for the last couple weeks) the exact problems described in this thread. For example, today, I tried making an outbound call, it was dead air after dialing so I gave up and called the person on my cell phone. ~20 seconds into the call, the person I was talking to on the cell phone said your home phone is calling my office number (the number I called on the VOIPo line). When I picked up my home phone, sure enough it was ringing even though it was on hook for at least the last 30 seconds. This should NOT happen and is NOT an ISP problem, NOT a router problem, NOT an ATA problem, so what's left? a capacity issue? or some other issue NOT on the customers end. Brandon, I know your expertise and know you can fix this, it is a real issue.

WHiZ
01-20-2012, 07:41 PM
The past 2 days i've had the same issue as well and it's causing major issues not being able to get or make calls. Things had improved and had been working fine for weeks. But now incoming calls are not ringing through. Outbound calls get me dead air, if i hang on long enough i get a dial tone again.

VOIPoBrandon
01-21-2012, 01:01 AM
Figure I'd chime in - after 2+ years of near flawless service, I am having (and been having for the last couple weeks) the exact problems described in this thread. For example, today, I tried making an outbound call, it was dead air after dialing so I gave up and called the person on my cell phone. ~20 seconds into the call, the person I was talking to on the cell phone said your home phone is calling my office number (the number I called on the VOIPo line). When I picked up my home phone, sure enough it was ringing even though it was on hook for at least the last 30 seconds. This should NOT happen and is NOT an ISP problem, NOT a router problem, NOT an ATA problem, so what's left? a capacity issue? or some other issue NOT on the customers end. Brandon, I know your expertise and know you can fix this, it is a real issue.

This definitely sounds odd -- but my first question I am going to ask -- was there ANY intermediate connection between our device and the phone? Was this a VOIPo device?

The reason I am asking is because from the description it is pretty clear that there was some kind of disconnect or interference or extreme latency between the point of you making the call, hanging up, and the call still progressing.

If you could PM me the Call-ID in this case I would be happy to further look into it for you, however I can almost guarantee you that this is one of the above 'problem descriptions' I described above.

Simply put - if you make a call, it sends an INVITE to our servers which 'initiates' the call and we proxy this further upstream and terminate it to the 'PSTN'.

If you hang up the phone BEFORE the call connects a CANCEL should be sent to cancel out that INVITE / branch(s) that were created due to that INVITE in the original initiation of the call.

If our network does not receive a CANCEL we will continue to route that call to the public network as we are simply not 'notified' simply put that the call was actually terminated.

So with this said the initial delay could be a result of simply a bad network connection between your and our network OR a bad route that we happened to terminate this specific call to at the time of this call.

The failure of notification of the cancellation of that call could be due to several variables, i.e. interference from house wiring where the point of loop / current disconnect from the phone did not actually notify our ATA on a "analog" level as in your connection from phone to device / ATA, or at a "network" level.

So as you can see there are many many potential variables involved in this particular scenario and I would still not rule out this being an issue originating from the clients end.

If anyone is able to consistently reproduce issues lets schedule a date & time and I would be more than happy to look into each and every one's individual scenario and see if we can't rule out possibilities and any potential issues.

While I understand it may seem like several of you are having issues in all reality it is a very very very small fraction of our customer base -- each and every customer of ours is a very important part of our business and I am looking forward to doing what we can to resolve any potential issues you may be experiencing.

So I look forward to working with you all. Keep me updated with any Call Reference ID's of problematic calls that you come across. You can locate this in your call history by clicking on "Call From" or "Call To" for the applicable problematic call entry.

Also let me know your availability (anyone) that is having an issue and I would be happy to personally work with you and interactively look into the issue.

burris
01-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Brandon....

Excellent explanation of how it works...as well as an offer that anyone in trouble should not pass up..

I don't know of any other provider who comes to the table as VOIPo does when it comes to dealing with its customers.

christcorp
01-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Having played with this stuff for a very long time, I decided to do some forced reboots and registration.
1. I rebooted the voipo adapter. That didn't seem to do much. Many inbound calls still rang, but dead air when I answered. Outbound no problems.
2. I rebooted my router. Same as #1. Inbound calls were still hit or miss as far as connecting or getting dead air. Outbound still never been a problem.
3. I then logged into vpanel and in beta, assigned my virtual number to port 2 of the adapter. Rebooted adapter and forced server to re-register. I then changed it back to primary number; rebooted and forced the server to re-register. Finally, did it a 3rd time and assigned the virtual number to port 2 of the adapter; rebooted, and forced the server to re-register.

I've only experimented with 3 inbound calls. 1 from a POTS line and 2 from 2 separate cell phones. So far, ALL 3 inbound calls worked fine. No more dead air. I'll monitor for the next few days to see how it goes. Also, FWIW, I don't use QOS, Port Forwarding, or DMZ on my router. I have 30mb down and 5mb up internet, so QOS isn't an issue.

For those who don't have a virtual number to play with and force re-registration; I'm sure you all have failover established. Probably to your cell phone. Simply unplug the power to the voip adapter and LEAVE it unplugged. It will take a few minutes, but the servers will go to failover and forward calls to your cell or wherever you told it to. When you know your inbound calls are in fact being "Failedover" (If that's a word); simply plug back in your voip adapter and allow the voipo server to re-register with the adapter. See if this helps. Like I said, I'm simply experimenting, and I figured it couldn't hurt to force my account to be rebooted. No promises, but so far, (3 calls), mine is working better. I'll comment tomorrow to say if I got any more dead air inbound calls. later... mike...

christcorp
01-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Having played with this stuff for a very long time, I decided to do some forced reboots and registration.

1. I rebooted the voipo adapter. That didn't seem to do much. Many inbound calls still rang, but dead air when I answered. Outbound no problems.
2. I rebooted my router. Same as #1. Inbound calls were still hit or miss as far as connecting or getting dead air. Outbound still never been a problem.
3. I then logged into vpanel and in beta, assigned my virtual number to port 2 of the adapter. Rebooted adapter and forced server to re-register. I then changed it back to primary number; rebooted and forced the server to re-register. Finally, did it a 3rd time and assigned the virtual number to port 2 of the adapter; rebooted, and forced the server to re-register.

I've only experimented with 3 inbound calls. 1 from a POTS line and 2 from 2 separate cell phones. So far, ALL 3 inbound calls worked fine. No more dead air. I'll monitor for the next few days to see how it goes. Also, FWIW, I don't use QOS, Port Forwarding, or DMZ on my router. I have 30mb down and 5mb up internet, so QOS isn't an issue.<br><br>For those who don't have a virtual number to play with and force re-registration; I'm sure you all have failover established. Probably to your cell phone. Simply unplug the power to the voip adapter and LEAVE it unplugged. It will take a few minutes, but the servers will go to failover and forward calls to your cell or wherever you told it to. When you know your inbound calls are in fact being "Failedover" (If that's a word); simply plug back in your voip adapter and allow the voipo server to re-register with the adapter. See if this helps. Like I said, I'm simply experimenting, and I figured it couldn't hurt to force my account to be rebooted. No promises, but so far, (3 calls), mine is working better. I'll comment tomorrow to say if I got any more dead air inbound calls. later... mike...

christcorp
01-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Brandon....

Excellent explanation of how it works...as well as an offer that anyone in trouble should not pass up..

I don't know of any other provider who comes to the table as VOIPo does when it comes to dealing with its customers.
+1. Tim and Brandon have always provided the best customer service available.
P.S. I'm going to add to this reply, because for some reason, I'm unable to reply to this thread directly. (Probably me). Anyway; here's some advice/experiment. Mike....

I've only experimented with 3 inbound calls. 1 from a POTS line and 2 from 2 separate cell phones. So far, ALL 3 inbound calls worked fine. No more dead air. I'll monitor for the next few days to see how it goes. Also, FWIW, I don't use QOS, Port Forwarding, or DMZ on my router. I have 30mb down and 5mb up internet, so QOS isn't an issue.<br><br>For those who don't have a virtual number to play with and force re-registration; I'm sure you all have failover established. Probably to your cell phone. Simply unplug the power to the voip adapter and LEAVE it unplugged. It will take a few minutes, but the servers will go to failover and forward calls to your cell or wherever you told it to. When you know your inbound calls are in fact being "Failedover" (If that's a word); simply plug back in your voip adapter and allow the voipo server to re-register with the adapter. See if this helps. Like I said, I'm simply experimenting, and I figured it couldn't hurt to force my account to be rebooted. No promises, but so far, (3 calls), mine is working better. I'll comment tomorrow to say if I got any more dead air inbound calls. later... mike...

christcorp
01-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Having a problem replying to this thread. I'll try again.

I've only experimented with 3 inbound calls. 1 from a POTS line and 2 from 2 separate cell phones. So far, ALL 3 inbound calls worked fine. No more dead air. I'll monitor for the next few days to see how it goes. Also, FWIW, I don't use QOS, Port Forwarding, or DMZ on my router. I have 30mb down and 5mb up internet, so QOS isn't an issue.

For those who don't have a virtual number to play with and force re-registration; I'm sure you all have failover established. Probably to your cell phone. Simply unplug the power to the voip adapter and LEAVE it unplugged. It will take a few minutes, but the servers will go to failover and forward calls to your cell or wherever you told it to. When you know your inbound calls are in fact being "Failedover" (If that's a word); simply plug back in your voip adapter and allow the voipo server to re-register with the adapter. See if this helps. Like I said, I'm simply experimenting, and I figured it couldn't hurt to force my account to be rebooted. No promises, but so far, (3 calls), mine is working better. I'll comment tomorrow to say if I got any more dead air inbound calls. later... mike...

burris
01-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Mike....

I like your thinking but maybe we need to separate those with BYOD vs. VOIPo supplied. Where VOIPo supplied the devices they remain provisioning enabled and I would think that any configs and such could be done on line by them. In fact I believe one could do a factory reset and if in a passthrough mode, will be re-provisioned online. If so, that might do a complete re-registration. Don't know about those who usethe box for ATA/router combo.
For those with their own boxes such as you and I have, lots of things could be tried. I'm also from the do it yourself school but since I'm getting older and older, I have had excellent success by keeping my boxes with provisioning enabled. With my SPA 2102 which is my favorite by the way, VOIPo doesn't have online provisioning but I have mirrored all the settings they supply from my PAP2T and GS502.

christcorp
01-22-2012, 12:40 PM
looks like some of my posts caught up. LOL!!!!

Anyway; it's been about 24 hours or so. I did 4 more inbound calls. 1 from a POTS line and 3 from 3 different cell phones. I purposely answered one on the first ring, and the others at various points such as 2nd ring and 3rd ring. (Obviously I could go past that or voicemail would kick in). Anyway; I was able to receive and talk both ways on all 4 calls. So I think it's worth a try for some who are having an issue. The easiest method to force the server to get involved and re-register, is to power off your voip adapter. Doesn't matter if it's provided by VoipO or you have your own. Leave it off and let the voipo server go to failover. You should be getting calls to your cell phone if that's your failover. Or to voicemail if that's how you have it set up. If you don't have failover configured or don't know what I'm talking about, just power off your voip adapter before you go shopping and leave it off until you get home. Then, when you're sure that the servers are re-routing to failover, plug your adapter back in and power it up. Give it a few minutes to not only re-establish a connection, but for the server to route normally. So far it's worked for me, but I don't have a large enough sampling size to be 100% sure. I like to play and experiment, and while computers can be useful, we all know they can be finicky. And a voip system is nothing more than computers. Anyway; that's my $0.0284848389 (inflation). Mike.....

tritch
01-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Most of the dropped/dead air calls seemed to have gone away. There was a dropped call yesterday, but this was addressed by Brandon. Hopefully, this fixes the issue.

We've been experiencing a bit of this also...but on some of those calls, if we remain on the line for an extra moment and the caller does as well, it seems to connect after a few extra seconds. Sounds strange but these kinds of things are hard to diagnose.

Burris,

My father started having this issue within the last month or so. About 10-20% of his incoming calls have a 1-2 second delay after answering the call before his phone begins to transmit audio. You often don't hear "Hello" or the first few words that he speaks after he answers the phone, then it starts to work normally. Is this the same issue you're talking about? If so, do you have your SPA2102 registered to the BYOD server? Are you still experiencing this random issue? If not, what did you do to fix it? I'm hesitant to blame Voipo for this issue because we both have the same setup with a SPA2102 and I don't experience this issue at all. The only difference is that I'm registered to sip-central01 and he's registered to the BYOD server. BTW, I should mention that I did have him try hooking up a hardwired phone instead his cordless phone to the ATA, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

burris
01-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Most of the dropped/dead air calls seemed to have gone away. There was a dropped call yesterday, but this was addressed by Brandon. Hopefully, this fixes the issue.

Burris,

My father started having this issue within the last month or so. About 10-20% of his incoming calls have a 1-2 second delay after answering the call before his phone begins to transmit audio. You often don't hear "Hello" or the first few words that he speaks after he answers the phone, then it starts to work normally. Is this the same issue you're talking about? If so, do you have your SPA2102 registered to the BYOD server? Are you still experiencing this random issue? If not, what did you do to fix it? I'm hesitant to blame Voipo for this issue because we both have the same setup with a SPA2102 and I don't experience this issue at all. The only difference is that I'm registered to sip-central01 and he's registered to the BYOD server. BTW, I should mention that I did have him try hooking up a hardwired phone instead his cordless phone to the ATA, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Mine may be a bit different since because I'm grandfathered in, I can use any of my ATAs and hook up directly..

I experienced exactly what your father did...I was on my GS502 and had provisioning enabled and they had me on Central. I live in South Florida. The first thing I did was to switch to East..had to disable provisioning to do so. Seemed to be better, but I fired up my favorite SPA2102 ...put it on East and it hasn't missed since..

A few posters seem to have had luck with a 30 second power reboot of their ATA. Maybe try that and if it works, maybe do it periodically.

In another post, Brandon offered a few possible scenarios as to what may be happening. If your problem continues, I would suggest contacting him...he knows his stuff..

tritch
01-23-2012, 11:39 AM
I experienced exactly what your father did...I was on my GS502 and had provisioning enabled and they had me on Central. I live in South Florida. The first thing I did was to switch to East..had to disable provisioning to do so. Seemed to be better, but I fired up my favorite SPA2102 ...put it on East and it hasn't missed since....

Thanks. Rebooting the ATA didn't help. The fact that you were on Central seems to rule out a BYOD server issue. So, changing your SIP server routing improved things but didn't totally eliminate it. It seems like some sort of delayed SIP signaling issue. I suspect you started having this problem around the same time he did and I have to wonder how many others have but never reported it. You just never know how many things are getting tinkered with behind the scenes (softlayer, SIP servers, carriers, etc) that are causing these strange new problems to appear......

bretski
01-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Brandon....

Amen. I don't spend much time on this forum any more, but VOIPo has their **** together when it comes to support. I've been with them long enough to know....

robhouston
01-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Just submitted a support request YEL-620125 and PM to Brandon. My intermittent problems with "dead air" calls has arisen again today.

markbet
01-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Man, I am having problems making calls and just dead air, no ringing or anything. There is a different thread going on, but I think it is about the same issues. Are these problems just the nature of the beast, as far as a voip service goes? So far, between Magic Jack and Voipo, all I am getting is an ulcer.

VOIPoBrandon
01-23-2012, 07:27 PM
For everyone who has sent me a private message or submitted a ticket and placed 'ATTN' Brandon. I've received the tickets and messages. I am reviewing each case individually and looking for any potential patterns. I will be in touch shortly. Thank you for all of your patience.

ram1220
01-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Man, I am having problems making calls and just dead air, no ringing or anything. There is a different thread going on, but I think it is about the same issues. Are these problems just the nature of the beast, as far as a voip service goes? So far, between Magic Jack and Voipo, all I am getting is an ulcer.

No this problem is not typical of Voip service. I had VYLmedia for over 3 years before coming to VOIPo. I had flawless service. Not one problem. But they were $24.99/month. I came to VOIPo to save $10/month and had great service for the first 3 weeks. Then it went down hill. The problem you are having with VOIPo is on their side and not yours. But they will always blame the customer. If VOIPo can't or won't get your service working as advertised then you should cancel and go with another provider. I cancelled last week. Just had enough. There are other services that work great. Good luck.

markbet
01-24-2012, 01:19 PM
No this problem is not typical of Voip service. I had VYLmedia for over 3 years before coming to VOIPo. I had flawless service. Not one problem. But they were $24.99/month. I came to VOIPo to save $10/month and had great service for the first 3 weeks. Then it went down hill. The problem you are having with VOIPo is on their side and not yours. But they will always blame the customer. If VOIPo can't or won't get your service working as advertised then you should cancel and go with another provider. I cancelled last week. Just had enough. There are other services that work great. Good luck.

Voipo said I had a port forward problem, so I got with AT&T early this week, we spent almost an hour getting my router setup correctly. Later in the day, I started having the same problems, so I contacted Voipo tech service, they told me I still had an issue with my router, and they would need to access my router and tweek it some, which they did do this morning. I have not used my phone enough to see if the problem is resolved or not. If not, I may have to reconsider my options.

VOIPoBrandon
01-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Voipo said I had a port forward problem, so I got with AT&T early this week, we spent almost an hour getting my router setup correctly. Later in the day, I started having the same problems, so I contacted Voipo tech service, they told me I still had an issue with my router, and they would need to access my router and tweek it some, which they did do this morning. I have not used my phone enough to see if the problem is resolved or not. If not, I may have to reconsider my options.

Please shoot me an email / private message with contact and account information in order that we may get in touch, thanks!

markbet
01-24-2012, 04:15 PM

I still have the same problem after I used the phone a little more.

Brandon, I sent you a PM.

VOIPoBrandon
01-24-2012, 05:01 PM
I still have the same problem after I used the phone a little more.

Brandon, I sent you a PM.

I do not believe I received it - could you please resend, thank you!

christcorp
01-24-2012, 10:00 PM

Ram; with all due respect, while you're definitely allowed and encouraged to express your opinion; I think you are very new to voip and you're opinion is very naive. If you look at the many sources for reviews; customers and industry; you'll find that VoipO is very highly rated. And when it comes to customer service and helping to fix problems, there is NO COMPANY as good as voipo. I'm sorry that you had a problem with your voip connection. Also sorry that you left another company simply to save $10. But I am confident when I say that the overwhelming majority of customers who deal with voipo are more than satisfied with the service and support.

I've been in the computer, telecommunications, voip, etc... business for more than 30 years. I watched a lot of voip companies come and go. Some so fly by night that thousands of customers over night simply lost their service. I also watched; first hand; Voipo spend a couple of YEARS working on their network, just so they wouldn't put customers through that. Do you know how much money you have to invest for 2-3 years without any PAYING CUSTOMERS? So when you say: "No this problem is not typical of Voip service", you are mistaken and very misleading. You make it sound like the majority of voip providers don't have any problems and that voipo is the exception and has more problems than anyone else. That is simply untrue. It is true that voipo is the exception. They are the exception in having one of the best customer services in the voip industry.

And before you ask or believe; NO, I am not employed by VoipO. I don't get paid by VoipO. I've been a paying customer of VoipO for almost 4 years. I've been using their service for more than 5 years. I've watched just about every scenario. Again; not to dog you or try and curb your right to express your opinion. I simply want other customers, who realize that voip, ANY PROVIDER, is heavily dependent on your internet provider, and that if you give VoipO the opportunity to work with you, they will prove to be one of the best. If on the other hand you expect Voip to be 100% identical to and as reliable as POTS, then that can not happen with today's technology. If that's what you want, then you need to go back to POTS. And anyone who says that their voip service is the same level of quality, reliability, availability, etc... as POTS, then they are not telling the truth. Voip is definitely BETTER than POTS in many ways; but availability and reliability isn't quite there. And most of that is because of the individual's internet provider. And I'm definitely not dogging markbet for his problem; but when VoipO says you have a port forwarding issue; and you have to call your Internet provider to figure out what to look for in your router; that's not a very good sign. Not saying people have to know as much about computers as I do; that's not practical. But if you're going to get into voip, then you should either know something about basic home networking, or be willing to learn and put up with some issues until your local bugs are worked out.

Back on topic: I wrote earlier what I did to my voipo after experiencing numerous calls of dead air. (Outbound was fine). In the last couple of days, I haven't had one dead air call. Maybe it was voipo working on their network, or maybe me forcing a reboot and re-registration of my account helped. All I know is everything "Seems" to be back to normal. I'll post again if I see any changes. Later... Mike.....

christcorp
01-24-2012, 10:02 PM
No this problem is not typical of Voip service. I had VYLmedia for over 3 years before coming to VOIPo. I had flawless service. Not one problem. But they were $24.99/month. I came to VOIPo to save $10/month and had great service for the first 3 weeks. Then it went down hill. The problem you are having with VOIPo is on their side and not yours. But they will always blame the customer. If VOIPo can't or won't get your service working as advertised then you should cancel and go with another provider. I cancelled last week. Just had enough. There are other services that work great. Good luck.<br><br>Ram; with all due respect, while you're definitely allowed and encouraged to express your opinion; I think you are very new to voip and you're opinion is very naive. If you look at the many sources for reviews; customers and industry; you'll find that VoipO is very highly rated. And when it comes to customer service and helping to fix problems, there is NO COMPANY as good as voipo. I'm sorry that you had a problem with your voip connection. Also sorry that you left another company simply to save $10. But I am confident when I say that the overwhelming majority of customers who deal with voipo are more than satisfied with the service and support.<br><br>I've been in the computer, telecommunications, voip, etc... business for more than 30 years. I watched a lot of voip companies come and go. Some so fly by night that thousands of customers over night simply lost their service. I also watched; first hand; Voipo spend a couple of YEARS working on their network, just so they wouldn't put customers through that. Do you know how much money you have to invest for 2-3 years without any PAYING CUSTOMERS? So when you say: "No this problem is not typical of Voip service", you are mistaken and very misleading. You make it sound like the majority of voip providers don't have any problems and that voipo is the exception and has more problems than anyone else. That is simply untrue. It is true that voipo is the exception. They are the exception in having one of the best customer services in the voip industry. <br><br>And before you ask or believe; NO, I am not employed by VoipO. I don't get paid by VoipO. I've been a paying customer of VoipO for almost 4 years. I've been using their service for more than 5 years. I've watched just about every scenario. Again; not to dog you or try and curb your right to express your opinion. I simply want other customers, who realize that voip, ANY PROVIDER, is heavily dependent on your internet provider, and that if you give VoipO the opportunity to work with you, they will prove to be one of the best. If on the other hand you expect Voip to be 100% identical to and as reliable as POTS, then that can not happen with today's technology. If that's what you want, then you need to go back to POTS. And anyone who says that their voip service is the same level of quality, reliability, availability, etc... as POTS, then they are not telling the truth. Voip is definitely BETTER than POTS in many ways; but availability and reliability isn't quite there. And most of that is because of the individual's internet provider. And I'm definitely not dogging markbet for his problem; but when VoipO says you have a port forwarding issue; and you have to call your Internet provider to figure out what to look for in your router; that's not a very good sign. Not saying people have to know as much about computers as I do; that's not practical. But if you're going to get into voip, then you should either know something about basic home networking, or be willing to learn and put up with some issues until your local bugs are worked out. <br><br>Back on topic: I wrote earlier what I did to my voipo after experiencing numerous calls of dead air. (Outbound was fine). In the last couple of days, I haven't had one dead air call. Maybe it was voipo working on their network, or maybe me forcing a reboot and re-registration of my account helped. All I know is everything "Seems" to be back to normal. I'll post again if I see any changes. Later... Mike.....<br>

markbet
01-25-2012, 08:40 AM
<br><br>And I'm definitely not dogging markbet for his problem; but when VoipO says you have a port forwarding issue; and you have to call your Internet provider to figure out what to look for in your router; that's not a very good sign. Not saying people have to know as much about computers as I do; that's not practical. But if you're going to get into voip, then you should either know something about basic home networking, or be willing to learn and put up with some issues until your local bugs are worked out. <br><br>Back on topic: I wrote earlier what I did to my voipo after experiencing numerous calls of dead air. (Outbound was fine). In the last couple of days, I haven't had one dead air call. Maybe it was voipo working on their network, or maybe me forcing a reboot and re-registration of my account helped. All I know is everything "Seems" to be back to normal. I'll post again if I see any changes. Later... Mike.....<br>

Excuse me but, when I signed up for Voipo, I was NOT told at that time I needed advanced knowledge of getting inside my router to get my service started, and I sure as hell won't apologize to you or anyone else for not knowing! If this is the case, then Voipo needs to put in bold black print on their sign up page, "BASIC NETWORKING EXPERIENCE NEEDED BEFORE SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE". Fact of the matter is, ITS NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS what I know, and what I do not! I spent some of my evening working with Voipo techs last night, and WE TOGETHER got the bugs worked out. So with all due respect, you can kiss my a$$ christcorp, you jerkoff!

ram1220
01-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Ram; with all due respect, while you're definitely allowed and encouraged to express your opinion; I think you are very new to voip and you're opinion is very naive. If you look at the many sources for reviews; customers and industry; you'll find that VoipO is very highly rated. And when it comes to customer service and helping to fix problems, there is NO COMPANY as good as voipo. I'm sorry that you had a problem with your voip connection. Also sorry that you left another company simply to save $10. But I am confident when I say that the overwhelming majority of customers who deal with voipo are more than satisfied with the service and support.

I've been in the computer, telecommunications, voip, etc... business for more than 30 years. I watched a lot of voip companies come and go. Some so fly by night that thousands of customers over night simply lost their service. I also watched; first hand; Voipo spend a couple of YEARS working on their network, just so they wouldn't put customers through that. Do you know how much money you have to invest for 2-3 years without any PAYING CUSTOMERS? So when you say: "No this problem is not typical of Voip service", you are mistaken and very misleading. You make it sound like the majority of voip providers don't have any problems and that voipo is the exception and has more problems than anyone else. That is simply untrue. It is true that voipo is the exception. They are the exception in having one of the best customer services in the voip industry.

And before you ask or believe; NO, I am not employed by VoipO. I don't get paid by VoipO. I've been a paying customer of VoipO for almost 4 years. I've been using their service for more than 5 years. I've watched just about every scenario. Again; not to dog you or try and curb your right to express your opinion. I simply want other customers, who realize that voip, ANY PROVIDER, is heavily dependent on your internet provider, and that if you give VoipO the opportunity to work with you, they will prove to be one of the best. If on the other hand you expect Voip to be 100% identical to and as reliable as POTS, then that can not happen with today's technology. If that's what you want, then you need to go back to POTS. And anyone who says that their voip service is the same level of quality, reliability, availability, etc... as POTS, then they are not telling the truth. Voip is definitely BETTER than POTS in many ways; but availability and reliability isn't quite there. And most of that is because of the individual's internet provider. And I'm definitely not dogging markbet for his problem; but when VoipO says you have a port forwarding issue; and you have to call your Internet provider to figure out what to look for in your router; that's not a very good sign. Not saying people have to know as much about computers as I do; that's not practical. But if you're going to get into voip, then you should either know something about basic home networking, or be willing to learn and put up with some issues until your local bugs are worked out.

Back on topic: I wrote earlier what I did to my voipo after experiencing numerous calls of dead air. (Outbound was fine). In the last couple of days, I haven't had one dead air call. Maybe it was voipo working on their network, or maybe me forcing a reboot and re-registration of my account helped. All I know is everything "Seems" to be back to normal. I'll post again if I see any changes. Later... Mike.....

Christcorp,

You are wrong. I am not new to voip. I have been using voip since 2005 and am very aware of how it works or in VOIPo's case how it's supposed to work. I did read the reviews both from customers and the industry as you say I should have. That is one of the main reasons I chose to sign up with VOIPo. The other was to save $10 per month. But I don't have to explain my reasons to you or to anyone else. I also beg to differ with you on the quality of customer service from VOIPo. When I first started to have problems they responded quickly and seemed interested in helping. As the problems continued and others mounted they still responded but didn't address the issues at all. It was like they were reading a ticket from another customer. All VOIPo support did at this point was direct the blame away from their company and towards my equipment. My equipment hasn't changed at all and it still works great. The only difference since VYLMedia and VOIPo is the company and the ATA. VYLMedia worked 100% of the time. You say no voip company works 100% of the time. Again you are wrong.
I don't care how long you have been in the computer or telecommunications industry. And I couldn't care any less about how much money or time VOIPo had to invest to start service. Obviously it wasn't enough if there are still a lot of problems experienced by their customers. I signed up for a service that was advertised to work a certain way. VOIPo has failed to deliver such service. That's the bottom line. A paying customer should not need a degree in computers or networking in order to use voip as you seem to believe. Furthermore you stated that I was "mistaken and misleading" when I said "No this problem is not typical of voip service." You are the one that is mistaken and misleading. I am speaking from experience when I say I had 100% working service with VYLMedia. Have you used VYLMedia? If not maybe you should keep your mistaken and misleading comments to yourself.
You go on to say that you are not an employee of VOIPo and that you don't get paid by them. You stated that you are a paying customer. Then please explain to everyone why you have had the service for 5 years but state that you have only been a paying customer for almost 4 years. Your credibility has just gone out the window.
As for your statement that I should give VOIPo the opportunity to work with me to correct the problems you once again show that you have no idea what I have been through or have done to attempt a fix. I have been working with VOIPo support since October in an attempt to correct their problems. It is not my job to have to contact support on a weekly basis to try and get the same problems fixed over and over. I was a paying customer and I strongly believe the service should work as advertised. I understand there might be a few things that need to be worked on from time to time. But not the same things over and over. I know my way around computers and networking. I have been repairing and building computers for 15 years. I know when a problem is on my end or a companies side. In this case the problem is with VOIPo or their equipment that they obviously cut corners with to save money. I have read in these forums from VOIPo employees that they ordered the inferior Grandstream adapters to save money. I'm sure other equipment on their side was purchased from the "lowest bidder." You have no idea what I went through to try and solve the problems with my service. I finally got sick and tired of VOIPo pointing the fingers and not taking blame for anything. I can tell you as a fact that VOIPo's service is inferior to my old provider VYLMedia.
So please before you go spouting off on people and tooting your own horn about how much you think you know you should try and get all the facts first. I read the reviews before signing up. I signed up because of the reviews and to save $10 per month. I know my equipment and I have a damned good internet provider with fast speeds. My prior voip provider worked 100% of the time. And when I started to have problems with VOIPo I tried over and over to get the problems solved. You can polish a turd over and over but it's still a turd. VOIPo is not ready for primetime and their sustomer support staff needs more training not only on their equipment but in people skills and reading comprehension. I hope you continue to have trouble free service. For me VOIPo didn't work. I cancelled and moved on. But I did try. I tried way more than a paying customer should have to. I will still be in this forum because I know current and potential customers need to hear both sides of the story.

christcorp
01-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Mark; I'm sorry you took my post as implying any of this was your fault. It isn't; and my post wasn't written to imply that. But voip isn't pots. When a person buys a 2nd computer for their home and they need to add a router to give both internet access and to possibly share files, printers, etc... a certain amount of knowledge is required. It isn't up to linksys or your ISP to build your network. Most times, VOIP is quite simply plug and play. But with some many different ISP's and individual home/business network configurations, it "SHOULD" be expected that there may be problems. A POTS line is simply a long piece of wire. It's on an internal network that only does voice. But voip is dependent on your unique network and ISP. No, this isn't your fault. Just that expectations should be different.

markbet
01-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Mark; I'm sorry you took my post as implying any of this was your fault. It isn't; and my post wasn't written to imply that. But voip isn't pots. When a person buys a 2nd computer for their home and they need to add a router to give both internet access and to possibly share files, printers, etc... a certain amount of knowledge is required. It isn't up to linksys or your ISP to build your network. Most times, VOIP is quite simply plug and play. But with some many different ISP's and individual home/business network configurations, it "SHOULD" be expected that there may be problems. A POTS line is simply a long piece of wire. It's on an internal network that only does voice. But voip is dependent on your unique network and ISP. No, this isn't your fault. Just that expectations should be different.

FYI. I have THREE computers, and I HAVE setup all of them to my router.

I have never had to port forward in the past, so why in the hell would I need to know that? And guess what, I still do not know, and do not plan on learning. I was told by Voipo that ALL I had to do was, plug it in and play, and if not, between ATT&T and Voipo tech service, we would get it working, and that is exactly what we did, so your assumption that I am stupid does not apply here. You do not know whatis going on in the background, so why assume you do? What irritates me is, you seem to think I OWE you an explanitaion as to why I do not have this knowledge, and in reality, I OWE you nothing!

Many people are WAY better off just minding their own business, and not interfering with something they do not have a clue as to what is really going on, as in, between me and Voipo.

markbet
01-25-2012, 05:25 PM
WOW christcorp, did I strike a nerve bro?

VOIPoBrandon
01-25-2012, 06:00 PM
I think we're loosing sight of what the purpose of this thread is for. Please get in touch with me privately if you are having any further issues. I am closing this thread.