PDA

View Full Version : Can I port my number later, after trying VOIPo for a few weeks?

herc-pilot
01-16-2012, 10:24 PM
I am interested in using VOIPo for two lines I have at my house. I would also like to use SIP on a third vitual number on my iPhone.
Here are some questions:

1. I would like to take the service for a spin before I start the porting process, just to make sure there are no issues.
Can this be accomplished (may I begin porting in, say two or three weeks)?

2. I would like two different phones to ring on different numbers in the house, and a third on my iPhone using soft SIP. Is this permissible?
How much do the second and third (fourth, etc.) numbers cost?

3. Are there any limitations to calling residential or commercial phones in Alaska through VOIPo?

Thanks!

holmes4
01-17-2012, 01:40 PM
1. Yes, this is often done.

2. I think you would need to buy an additional line for the second phone and number. For the iPhone you can buy a "cloud number" for $36/year.

3. Not that I am aware of, but wait for official word. I know that you cannot call 900-numbers.

ThorsDad
01-17-2012, 05:57 PM
I held off on porting my number to test the service. As soon as you sign up you are given a virtual number to use. The port process doesn't start until you submit the authorization form. With the 30 day money back guarantee there isn't much reason not to give VOIPo a try.

robhouston
01-18-2012, 06:48 AM
In answer to question 2, YES, you can pay for a 2nd number ($36/year or $4.95 per month) and use it as an independent second line. In this case, your Voipo-supplied Grandstream adapter will use each of the 2 Phone ports for the separate numbers (lines). They each ring independently, call out independently, etc.

I'm using this exact arrangement, and like many using Voipo, I've connected the two ports to my house telephone wiring, so that I can have both lines in various places in my home.

By the way, testing the service for a few weeks before porting is highly recommended by many here.

Good luck!

willumpg
03-16-2012, 07:50 AM
How do you get a temporary number to try the system out once you receive it?

robhouston
03-16-2012, 09:10 AM
When you sign up, you'll select a telephone number. That becomes your VOIPo telephone number, and when you get the device, it works with that selected nubmer. When you port another telephone number later, you can choose to replace the original number with the ported number.

ThorsDad
03-16-2012, 02:29 PM
How do you get a temporary number to try the system out once you receive it?

It's automatic. Here is part of my welcome letter from VOIPo which I received within seconds of signing up:

Hello from VOIPo!

While we await your number transfer documents (see below), we have assigned a temporary incoming number to your account:

Free Temporary Number: --
Number To Be Transferred: --

This temporary number may not be in the same area as your primary number, as it is a free temporary number that is only available while your primary number is being transferred. This number will automatically be removed after the completion of your number transfer. If you would like a temporary number in another area, you may purchase a Virtual Number within your VOIPo Control Panel (vPanel).

robhouston
03-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Just to clarify, when I signed up for Voipo, I wanted to try the service without porting my number first. So, I ordered Voipo with a new number and was able to select a local number for me. I then used the service for several weeks before deciding to port my POTS number. Once the port was completed, my ported number became my primary number, and the original number was discontinued.

herc-pilot
03-17-2012, 10:07 AM
I bought a second number online. Its pretty easy from the drop down in vPanel. I think its under features, virtual number.
Once I figured out I liked the service, I submitted the number transfer paperwork. For me, the process took a little over a week to get the paperwork straightend out, and then about five days to get the numbers ported from AT&T. I went from $80/month to about $8/month, and Voipo works great.

VegasSmitty
04-07-2012, 02:15 PM
My Free Temporary Number was blank on my E-mail...how do I get one????

holmes4
04-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Can you log in to the VoIPO control panel? It should show there.

ymhee_bcex
04-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Can you log in to the VoIPO control panel? It should show there.
Your login into control panel is your phone; so if you don't have the phone, you can't login... Catch-22 ;)

That said, I think the fact that you didn't get the phone number in your welcome email, is probably due to some glitch. Tech support folks can fix it in a few minutes!