PDA

View Full Version : Can't Hear the caller - New User

brmstech
01-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Wondering if anyone can help? The problem that I have is that when some one calls in and we pick up the phone, we can't hear them on the other end. But the funny thing is they can hear us. This line is a backup phone for our cells and is not used all the time. This problem only seems to happen when the line isn't used for a day or so. It is almost like the VOIPo line has to be woken up ( just a guessing ). This happens both on the base set phone and the extender phone.

Modem -> hub -> GrandStream -> AT&T wireless phone

holmes4
01-22-2012, 02:19 PM
This is usually a port forwarding problem, but if you really do mean "hub" and not router, then that would not apply.

brmstech
01-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Yes, it's a Hub/Switch and the problem happens every 3-4 days.

Modem->Hub->GrandStream->AT&T Dect 6.0 wireless phone/base + extension phone

tritch
01-22-2012, 05:45 PM
This is a strange network setup. Do you have other devices attached to this switch other than the GrandStream? If so, how are you correctly "routing" the traffic between the devices? Is the cable/DSL modem a combo unit with a built-in router? If so, then you will need to forward a range of UDP ports to the Grandstream within this unit.

brmstech
01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
It is hooked up as follows:

Modem->. . . .->Grandstream->AT&T Dect 6.0 wireless phone/base->extension wireless phone
. . . . . . . Hub-
. . . . . . . . . .->Dlink Router->Desktop pc
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .->netbook via wireless signal
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .->Ethernet power line adapter for TV

Sorry thats the best drawing I can do with the pc.

burris
01-22-2012, 07:47 PM
I personally would hook my modem to the router and plug everything else behind it...

Then of course set up your port forwarding on the router to a fixed IP that you program into the ATA(or have VOIPo do so)., and for any other devices you have hooked up as well.

holmes4
01-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Well, what he has is effectively the same as hooking the Grandstream to the modem directly. The hub/switch just routes Ethernet packets and doesn't know anything about TCP or UDP ports.

brmstech
01-22-2012, 08:13 PM
I thought that ( if all possible ) that they wanted you to hook the GrandStream in front of the router. I solved this problem by hooking the GrandStream on one leg coming from the hub and the router on another leg.

gatorsean
01-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Please note a hub is not a switch and a switch is not a hub, but i agree...sounds like a port forwarding issue.

I agree with burris: modem ---> router --->devices.

tritch
01-23-2012, 10:45 AM
For things to work properly with your current setup, you have to be either be pulling two public IP's from your ISP or pulling two private IP's from your DSL/Cable modem (which may have a built-in router function). Log into vpanel and click the Features tab, then click "Devices". Look under the "Received" and "Contact" columns. If the "Received column is blank and the "Contact" column has a public IP address after the @ symbol, then your Grandstream in not being NAT'd and you have other issues than a port forwarding problem. You will need to open a support ticket. If you see a public IP under the "Received" column and a private IP under the "Contact" column, then you have NAT going on and likely a firewall issue blocking some UDP ports. In this case, you will need to log into your modem and see if you can assign a static IP to your Grandstream and then forward UDP ports 5004-65000 to this IP address.

CrownSeven
01-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Please note a hub is not a switch and a switch is not a hub, but i agree...sounds like a port forwarding issue.

I agree with burris: modem ---> router --->devices.

Port forwarding issue? Maybe. But I'm encountering the same issue for the past few months and have done everything including port forwarding and setting the PAP in a DMZ and nothing has worked.

JohnnyTooBad
01-25-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm having the same issue. Occasionally, when we make calls out of the house, the person we call can hear us, but we can't hear them. If we try a couple of times, it connects properly. Unfortunately, I am not as tech-savvy as a lot of VOIP users, so I'm not getting what a lot of you are talking about in this thread. For example, I don't know what "port forwarding" is.

Can you help a newb out? How do I fix this?

Thanks.
-John

brmstech
01-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Ok, I put the Grandstream behind the router as suggested and forward UDP ports 5004-65000. Currently it seems to work. We'll see if it still works after a few days.

christcorp
01-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Tritch is totally correct. With your initial configuration, the ONLY way it would work properly is if you were paying for 2 IP addresses from your ISP, or the Modem was ALSO a router, and was putting out 2 Private IP addresses. e.g 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.20. If the input (WAN) of the router and the input (WAN-Internet) connection of the voip adapter were getting the SAME IP address; because the modem was only putting out 1 IP address; then all hell will happen.

Bob1962
01-26-2012, 02:11 PM
As a Voipo user I am seeing a pattern on these forums, every one is having problems, then Voipo turns around and blames YOUR network on their problems. When the problem is in their own network. OK, all my PCs and Roku boxes work Just fine, why cant the stupid VOIP do the same? It is like an endless game of, contact tech support>make system adjustments>get intermittent service>have more problems>REPEAT!

I was with Vonage for 3 years on my same crappy network and service was 10X better, and I only left Vonage for the call blocking feature, price was not the issues, and I pressed Vonage to get call blocking or I was going to leave them, I should have bought a call blocking device and saved my sell a ton of money in wasted productivity.

ram1220
01-26-2012, 02:16 PM
As a Voipo user I am seeing a pattern on these forums, every one is having problems, then Voipo turns around and blames YOUR network on their problems. When the problem is in their own network. OK, all my PCs and Roku boxes work Just fine, why cant the stupid VOIP do the same? It is like an endless game of, contact tech support>make system adjustments>get intermittent service>have more problems>REPEAT!

I was with Vonage for 3 years on my same crappy network and service was 10X better, and I only left Vonage for the call blocking feature, price was not the issues, and I pressed Vonage to get call blocking or I was going to leave them, I should have bought a call blocking device and saved my sell a ton of money in wasted productivity.

Amen!!! Someone else that has noticed this. I have been saying this for months. I'm so glad someone else has taken notice.

brmstech
01-26-2012, 02:53 PM
No one is blaming VOIPo, I came here to see if I could resolve MY problem, I haven't even opened a ticket, peroid.

Thank you tritch and christcorp for your help/info.

chpalmer
01-26-2012, 03:03 PM
every one is having problems

Not true- I have three separate numbers and they all work flawlessly. Ones a company line so you know I wont take any crap when it comes to that line... As is usually the case, only those with issues will show up to a forum or tech support line looking for help.

brmstech- What model modem are you using?

Is the device after the modem a switch or a hub? Model please?

Can you call your ISP and ask how many IP's they give you? Im cable and I can get two. Other cable companies will only give you one.

brmstech
01-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the come back, chpalmer. Currently, I have hooked the modem directly to the router (as other members have suggested)and have taken the switch out of the configuration. So far no problems, but it only happens every few days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the switch was the problem.
Info:
Service: AT&T DSL
Modem: Motorola DSL Modem 2210-02-1006
Switch: 3Com Dual Speed Switch 3c16793
Router: D-Link Dir-655

chpalmer
01-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Cool-

Is your modem in bridge mode with the D-Link handling the ppp login or is the modem left as default?

The modem is also a router.

chpalmer
01-26-2012, 05:02 PM
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19863725-Modem-Motorola-2210-02-1006-H-E-L-P

Truthfully- If your not doing anything special with your network such as hosting any kind of server, Id set up your Grandsteam to do the PPP login, put your dsl modem in bridge mode, and plug in your other router behind the Grandsteam LAN port. No port issues to deal with then.

But- If you want to keep your D-Link in the mix ahead of things, (right now your double-natting. Natting in of itself isnt real good for VOIP.) Can you put your modem in bridge mode and set up your D-Link to do the PPP login?

brmstech
01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
The Moto DSL Modem is set up just like the Bellsouth tech set it up. Sorry I don't know if it is set up to bridge. It doesn't have any input ports like my router. It just has the one dsl line out . . .its kind of cheap (Good old AT&T / Bellsouth).

brmstech
01-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Sorry, but your way above my level on this technology. So the way it is currently set up is NOT good?

Modem->Router->Grandstream

VOIPoBrandon
01-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Brmstech,

Under Firewall for the DIR 655 change "UDP NAT ENDPOINT FILTERING" to "NAT ENDPOINT INDEPENDENT"

Here is an emulator: http://support.dlink.com/emulators/dir655/121/Firewall.html so you can see what I am referencing.

Also at the bottom you will see a checkmark box for 'SIP' (ALG). Uncheck this box.

Once that has been updated & saved -- power down all network devices and then power back up all network devices.

Let me know how this works out for you, thanks!

brmstech
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Will do, thank you.

brmstech
01-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Thank you , VOIPoBrandon . . .Those changes to my D-Link 655 configuration have been installed and with the Grandstream plugged directly into the router . . .my VOIPo phone line currently seems to work fine. Still have my finger crossed that this condition continues.

VOIPoBrandon
01-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Thank you , VOIPoBrandon . . .Those changes to my D-Link 655 configuration have been installed and with the Grandstream plugged directly into the router . . .my VOIPo phone line currently seems to work fine. Still have my finger crossed that this condition continues.

Not a problem. Glad to be of help! Do let me know if you run into any further issues, thanks!

chpalmer
01-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Keep in mind the Motorola modem is still in the mix. If you need to do nothing else then wonderful! But the modem has a firewall and could potentially come to be an issue. Get a ticket in and proceed with that knowledge if needed.

Good Luck!

brmstech
01-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Thank you, chpalmer. . . Will do.