PDA

View Full Version : Grandstream setup for DSL w/ bridged modem & Apple Airport Extreme router

brabin
02-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to do this initial installation as follows:

modem (in bridge or pass through mode) -> Airport Extreme (provides PPPoE login, DHCP & NAT) -> Grandstream

I am getting a dial tone but get a busy signal dialing out.

From what I've read here, what I need to do is assign a static IP to the GS and forward the specified ports. The problem is, to do this in my router I need to know the device MAC address, which I don't have. I can't seem to access the GS via the browser interface at 192.168.2.1 using my computer, and I think I saw in the manual for the GS that this does not work from Mac OSX. Any ideas?

tritch
02-03-2012, 11:19 PM
The IP address that you referenced is how to access the Grandstream's web GUI via its LAN port not its WAN port. You can hook up a laptop or PC to its LAN port and try accessing it this way. Before doing this, see if you can access the Grandstream via its WAN port using the IP address assigned to it by the router. If you don't know its assigned IP address, you can find this out by accessing your router's DHCP table or logging into vPanel and clicking Features, then click devices. Look under the Contact column and copy/write down the private IP address between the @ and : symbols. The User Level access password is 123

brabin
02-04-2012, 09:39 AM
When plugged into the WAN port of the GS, positioned behind my router, I was able to find the GS in the DHCP table of the router. I tried both the router's DHCP assigned address and a static IP address (which I was able to reserve the static IP using the GS's MAC address). But I still was not able to access the GS GUI. When I ping the addresses there is no path. I was able to connect the GS directly to my laptop via the GS LAN port, and I got into the GUI successfully via the address 192.168.2.1. Logged in using the 123 password and the first thing I see is that the GS is shown as being not registered. Come to think of it, I never did receive a welcome email that provides me login info for the vPanel (or my assigned phone number for that matter) so I can't do that; I somehow thought that would happen when the device registered itself automatically after being plugged in, but now I'm suspecting they didn't complete my account setup? Thoughts? Can't call for support until Monday :(

brabin
02-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Problem solved, thanks.