PDA

View Full Version : BYOD on Android ICS

breyed
03-23-2012, 05:25 PM
I recently got a smartphone with Android 4.0.3. I was happy to see that I could enter my SIP credentials into it, and with no additional configuration, could call out using my VOIPo account. Now I don't have to punch numbers on my POTS handset any more.

When I tried turning on the feature to answer incoming calls, the Android phone would ring along with my POTS handset, but if I answer on my Android, the call is immediately dropped. Has anyone played with VOIPo on Ice Cream Sandwich? Any suggestions?

Bink
03-27-2012, 06:58 AM
I use ICS alongside the ATA and do not have this issue. Perhaps your firewall is to blame and you might want to look there first.

GreenLantern
04-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Is your android connecting via wifi or mobile broadband?

I'm able to connect using wifi and it works great.

But if I connect using verizon's 4g LTE, it is just awful.

christcorp
05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Question. I don't have ICS yet, just gingerbread. I've been using SIPdroid. I am using the same server and credentials as in my home ATA. My question is: Do you need to use different settings like a specific server; different server than the ATA is using? The reason I ask is because I can easily make outgoing calls on my android using SIPdroid and my credentials and server which are the same as my ATA; but I don't seem to be able to get incoming calls. It rings the house phone but not the Android.

I wanted to use this so I wouldn't have to deal with voice mail if someone called my home phone. I'd be able to hear my android ring and answer it even though it's my home voipo phone line. Even without being able to answer calls, it's still handy. When I know I have to make a long call, e.g. 20-30 minutes, I can use Sipdroid on my android and not have to use my cell minutes. Any suggestions? thanks. mike...

Bink
05-02-2012, 11:09 AM
I don’t know if it matters, but VOIPo wants you to use the BYOD credentials supplied in your vPanel (getting it is convoluted—you need to go to Features, Preferences and BYOD). That said, while I don’t have Gingerbread, I understand it has a native SIP client like ICS, so you might want to try it—and configure it to use the BYOD server as a proxy—or try reconfiguring Sipdroid to use your BYOD credentials and proxy.

christcorp
05-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Maybe I need to ask Tim then: Do I need to use a different set of credentials for the Android/BYOD instead of the ones that are attached to the VoipO provided ATA? I was under the impression, based on earlier postings, that the SipDroid configuration would operate simultaneously to the home ATA. Both would ring, and whichever one I answered first would get the call. Not sure how that would work if there were different user names and passwords registering. Unless we're talking about just using a different server. Which is what I was wondering. If instead of using sip-central01 that a different server should be used? Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Bink
05-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I use both the ATA and the smartphone--ATA using the built-in configuration and the smartphone using the BYOD configuration. Both ring simultaneously when a call comes in and I can answer either to receive the call.

christcorp
05-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Is your BYOD configuration the same user name and password and just a different server and other configs; or is it a separate/different user name and password?

Bink
05-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Is your BYOD configuration the same user name and password and just a different server and other configs; or is it a separate/different user name and password?
Don't know/haven't looked/can't really look right now, but the current configuration/solution works.

christcorp
05-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks, this cleared up everything. I had to turn ON the softphone/byod in the vpanel. Then it gave me a separate password and separate server to use. Without this, I could call out, but incoming didn't work on the android. With this, everything works perfectly. Over 3g and wifi. Both the home phone and the android ring. Whichever one I answer first gets the call. So much more convenient now. I don't have to go get the home phone if it rings. Just answer my cell phone sipdroid. Thanks for helping me figure this out. Later... Mike....