PDA

View Full Version : Travel Feature

budmaster
04-29-2012, 07:40 AM
I saw on a competitors page an added VOIP feature with a device called “Zippy Travel Adapter” that seems to be like the old USB Magic Jack (a USB phone device) with your home phone number. However; when your number is called, both the remote and home device ring. Could VOIPO support a similar set up. If not, maybe a feature to consider?

holmes4
05-01-2012, 11:41 AM
VOIPo already supports using a "softphone" with the SIP protocol. There are free SIP phone programs available for PCs and many smartphones. You would not need a separate adapter. When you are "online" with the SIP phone, both your home and remote phones would ring.

budmaster
05-01-2012, 04:22 PM
That sounds too easy. Are configuration instructions for a SIP phone available in this forum or at VOIPO support page?

holmes4
05-01-2012, 06:45 PM
http://voipo.com/help/article/is-voipo-compatible-with-a-soft-phone-54.html

budmaster
05-01-2012, 08:40 PM
http://voipo.com/help/article/is-voipo-compatible-with-a-soft-phone-54.html

Site indicated:

To retrieve your BYOD/softphone credentials for your own equipment or software:
1. Log in to your VPanel at "https://secure.voipo.com/
2. Click the tab labeled "Features".
3. Click on the "Preferences" link.
4. Click on the "Softphone/BYOD" link.

Which I did. But all I see is a button to enable a soft phone.

Now I do see a SIP address under devices. Is this the only info I will need?

holmes4
05-03-2012, 08:58 AM
You will see a SIP server name, username (your phone number) and password. That is all you need.

budmaster
05-13-2012, 08:17 AM
You will see a SIP server name, username (your phone number) and password. That is all you need.

I see SIP server name after activating BYOD. Tried x-lite, worked perfectly. Bought wifi SIP phone, worked as well and definitely a better solution than the “Zippy Travel Adapter” . Thank you for steering me in the right direction.

holmes4
05-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Glad to hear it.

Mike_TV
06-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Bought wifi SIP phone, worked as well and definitely a better solution than the “Zippy Travel Adapter” .

Can you share what make/model you bought? I would be interested in playing around with this too when I travel.

Russell
06-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Can you share what make/model you bought? I would be interested in playing around with this too when I travel.

My Android (used mainly for wifi) works perfectly well for travel purposes (and even at home) in parallel with my ATA.

budmaster
06-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Unlocked UTstarcom F1000 WiFi VoIP IP SIP Wireless Phone

e-bay for $39.99

Mike_TV
06-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Unlocked UTstarcom F1000 WiFi VoIP IP SIP Wireless Phone

e-bay for $39.99

Thank you. I did get X-Lite working on a laptop but I'm interested in a more portable, compact way of traveling and that wifi phone may be it.

GreenLantern
07-01-2012, 06:55 PM
If you have an iPhone or Android phone, you've already got a great wifi phone.

Just download a softphone app from the app store. There are some free ones, and some pay ones that are still cheap.

Android 4 has one already built in.

budmaster
08-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Any particular softphone versions you recommend?

If you have an iPhone or Android phone, you've already got a great wifi phone.

Just download a softphone app from the app store. There are some free ones, and some pay ones that are still cheap.

Android 4 has one already built in.

GreenLantern
08-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Try www.counterpath.com. Some versions are free depending on OS.

Tooth
08-28-2012, 11:35 AM

For Android, I've played around with "cSIPsimple" and "SIPdriod", both are free from the Android marketplace. To my knowledge, all Gingerbread and ICS phones have a native SIP application. In the case of my wife's Android phone, the wireless carrier we purchased it from had disabled the native SIP application, but a quick google search will provide instructions on how to apply a very simple modification to the firmware permissions which allow you to re-enable the native SIP application.

For iOS I've only tried the "media5-fone" app, which is also free from the Apple app store.

I also know that a lot of people seem to like the Bria app ($7.99) and the 3CX (free) app which are available for both Android and iOS.

GreenLantern
08-28-2012, 11:44 AM
3CX for android is also pretty good.

budmaster
08-29-2012, 06:48 PM
3CX for android is also pretty good.

I actually tried 3cx, but for some reason it would not install. I have a Galaxy S Advance.

Installed CSIPSimple. Seems to work OK. But have not figured how to disable auto start upon boot.

This is my first Android, so I have a lot of learning. I was shocked to see I need a Google account to load any software.