PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Grade NAT

chpalmer
05-30-2012, 01:00 AM
With the switch to IPv6 coming many ISP's have decided to do carrier grade NAT where customer WAN's will have an address in the private network space...

http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2012/052912-backspin.html?

My ISP is one that plans to do this... I still can't get an answer from them as I have a commercial account and static IP that I need the public to have access to...

But- how will this affect services like VOIP? Seems like this will kill off the ability to use dynamic DNS services for many with residential service...

OregonVoIP
05-30-2012, 07:42 PM
With the switch to IPv6 coming many ISP's have decided to do carrier grade NAT where customer WAN's will have an address in the private network space...

http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2012/052912-backspin.html?

My ISP is one that plans to do this... I still can't get an answer from them as I have a commercial account and static IP that I need the public to have access to...

But- how will this affect services like VOIP? Seems like this will kill off the ability to use dynamic DNS services for many with residential service...

If your ISP is going from "Nat44" to "Nat444" (Ipv4 to IPv4 to IPV4)in other words stretching out IPv4 and not deploying IPv6 then really what you have to do is ensure your network is on a 192. basis. 10. and 178. etc will become garbage(meaning my customers will be calling to make changes to there networks). From what I understand if your ISP is going to IPv6 then you should see no real impact. IPv4 is just running out of space, simple as that. IPv6 should cause you any issues, but if your ISP is going to "Nat444" then you will have some serious quality issues, or complete breakage of VoIP. And not just VoIP.

NAT444 will NOT Break:

Web browsing
Email
FTP download
Small files
BitTorrent and Limewire
Leeching (download)
Skype video and voice calls
Instant messaging
Facebook and Twitter chat

it WILL Break:

FTP download
Large files
BitTorrent and Limewire
Seeding (upload)
On-line gaming
Xbox
PlayStation
Etc.
Video streaming
Hulu
Netflix
Slingcatcher
Etc.
Webcam
Remote viewing
Tunneling
6to4
Teredo
Etc.
VPN & Encryption
IPSec
SSL
VoIP
Limited ALG/SIP support
All custom applications with the IP embedded
Lack of ALGs

if IPv6 is deployed you will be OK except for domain ranges mentioned.

chpalmer
05-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks! My ISP like many others Im hearing about do not intend to hand us ipv6 addresses... I have a commercial connection and still can't get an answer to my questions to them...