PDA

View Full Version : multiple SIP devices on one VoipO account behind NAT

christcorp
03-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Hey guys, question for you all.

I've never had a problem with multiple SIP devices; e.g. ATA's on a home network when they are on different voip accounts. That's easy enough.

What I'm trying to do is have my VoipO ATA connected (Which works fine with all my traditional phones) and ALSO connect an IP Sip phone on my home network also. Using the credentials provided in the Vpanel. I'd want both to be able to work on the same home network. Reason being, I have a room I wanted a phone in, doesn't have any phone wiring/jacks in that room, BUT it does have ethernet to my network there.

Anyway; my ATA registers and works great. When I put in the IP phone (Static Private IP address: 192.168.1.X) and the credentials, it TOO registers and works fine. However, after a while, if there's an incoming call, ONLY the phone(s) connected to the ATA rings. Not the IP phone. If I've recently used the IP phone and made an outbound call, then an INCOMING call will ring the IP phone; along with ringing the ATA phones. But after a while, the IP phone won't ring and accept inbound calls. Just the ATA phones. Outbound is still fine.

I know it's mainly an issue with NAT. The inbound registration probably loves the ATA registered and goes there. Obviously, I can't Port forward 5060, cause you can only forward to one IP address. ATA and IP Phone are obviously 2 different IP addresses. Same with trying to use DMZ. And obviously, if I owned more than one Public IP address from my ISP and wasn't using NAT, this also wouldn't be a problem. Just like using a softphone on a laptop away from home on a different IP address than the home network and ATA isn't a problem. But for me, I'd like to be able to get 2 devices registered, on the same network, behind NAT, to work.

I've put the ATA on port 5060 and the IP phone on 5061 thinking that would help. It didn't. The registration VoipO server for the ATA and the BYOD ARE DIFFERENT, that's why I thought this should work. Any suggestions?

Tim; or another VoipO tech, here's a question. The SIP signal that send the Ring Signal to the device, and initiates the connection, is that only on one port? E.g. 5060. Does/Can it come on more than one port and I could forward one port to the ATA and another to credentials to the IP phone? Would it help if on the IP phone, if I added a STUN server?

Any ideas would be worth trying. Like I mentioned, initially, they both ring and all is good. But after a bit, only the ATA rings and I can't answer the call from the IP phone. Having the two devices on the same account, but separately registered, is also a really nice feature if my wife is on the phone talking to someone and I want to make a call. Instead of going to the cell phone, I simply grab the other registered phone and call out. This works great. Just trying to get the INBOUND Ringing to work on both. If the IP isn't ringing, it can't answer the call. But it can call out.

Any ideas? Thanks. Mike.

christcorp
03-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Wanted to say; disregard looking into this. I was able to figure out the problem. Obviously it was a NAT issue; but having both the ATA and IP Phone registering to different servers at voipo, shouldn't have been a problem.

However; after looking around some more at the settings in the IP phone (Grandstream GXP2130), I found a couple of settings that referenced being behind a NAT. Since checking those, I've found I no longer have issues. Both my IP phone, as well as my ATA (Supplied by VoipO and connected to 10 phones), both work fine and ring the lines as they are suppose to.

This is a perfect example of why VoipO can NOT offer customer service to BYOD type devices. There's only 1000 +/- types of devices out there; along with 10,000 +/- possible configuration combinations; along with 1000 +/- different home network configurations out there. It's difficult enough to supply customers with one standard device and make that work being the various types of home/business networks. Adding in the variables of numerous manufacturers and their compatible devices is simply asking too much.

That is why we have forums like this. To provide information and assistance to each other. Let me know if you have any questions trying to do a similar configuration.

Later...... Mike......