PDA

View Full Version : Porting Procedures?

christcorp
07-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Hey Tim; was wondering if you could post here. I've had a couple of people ask about porting into VoipO. Some are our beta testers; (Including myself). Have you come up with a VoipO specific LOA to be filled out? Could you provide the following clarification for those of us who want to port to VoipO.

1. LOA required (Special Instructions if Needed)
2. Copy of recent Voip bill or similar documents
3. Fax or email address where we can send it to you. (Email; scanned signed documents and emailed to voipo.
4. Any other instructions.

Thanks..... Mike.......

P.S. Update: Tim, correct me if I'm wrong; but I have the info if anyone is interested in porting to voipo.

When you're ready, we just need a LOA and a bill copy or something printed that shows your name/number. Level3 just wants to see something on paper with the number basically.

Here is the LOA: http://voipo.com/GenericLOA.pdf

The number would be in all fields (beginning/end refers to a range of numbers). Just fax it with documentation to 832-426-7700.

VOIPoTim
07-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I'll post an updated VOIPo branded LOA that is a little easier to fill out in terms of what it's asking for before public launch (need to have it approved by Level3 first). We're eventually going to move to filling it out online and it generating a PDF to print and sign.

For now here is what we're working with: http://voipo.com/GenericLOA.pdf

Here's a breakdown of the fields it currently uses:

Company Name: Your Name

Address: Mailing Address on File with Provider

Provider: Provider (ViaTalk, Lingo, etc)

Number Begin: Number to Port

Number End: Number to Port

BTN: Number to Port (or primary number if porting a virtual)

Requested Date: Blank/Does Not Matter Unless Scheduling Way In Advance

Order Number: Blank - N/A

Along with the LOA, we also need a copy of a recent bill or a printout from your provider. Something that shows number/name on the same page is preferred. Level3 just looks at this to match it up. If using ViaTalk or another Tier-2 ITSP, this won't even be verified, but Level3 will not process without seeing something on paper.

Just fax these to 832-426-7700 or e-mail to support@voipo.com and we'll submit.

Average processing time is about 2 weeks, but could take up to 30-45 days or be completed in just a few days.

If anyone has any questions, just let us know.

christcorp
07-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks Tim. I just faxed you'all my porting paperwork. My packet8 account uses Level-3 the same as VoipO, so hopefully it will be pretty quick. thx... mike....

VOIPoTim
07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks Tim. I just faxed you'all my porting paperwork. My packet8 account uses Level-3 the same as VoipO, so hopefully it will be pretty quick. thx... mike....

Yeah, we got it and I submitted it already.

You'd think Level3 internal ports would be quicker, but really they're not any faster than an outside one. Level3 is a very compartmentalized company and doesn't do anything from within :)

christcorp
07-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Another question please. I think it might be of interest to many of the alpha/beta testers. When my port comes through; will it be a "New" (3rd) number on my account with the 2 voipo beta test numbers? Thus, do I need to fire up line 2 on one of my ATA's. OR, can it automatically REPLACE one of my 2 voipo beta/test lines? (Preferably the one with the SAME AREA CODE)?

Just wondering what the procedure will be for us for the LEAST amount of downtime. For the average new customer, they are normally set up a temp number with the new provider, and the ported number automatically replaces that. Just wondering if I needed to communicate WHICH voip number to replace or being those were ALPHA/BETA and aren't being charged monthly fees, if you wanted to leave them alone and add the ported number as a 3rd number; thus ready to start a "BILLED ACCOUNT". (I HAVE PLENTY OF ATA's so don't worry about that). Obviously, I don't have a credit card on file, normal paying account, etc....

Anyway, whichever way you want to go is cool. Again, I just brought it up in the public forum because I assume there will be quite a few of the beta testers who will want to port, and they will probably have the same questions. Thx.... Mike......

NY Tel Guy
07-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Another question please. I think it might be of interest to many of the alpha/beta testers. When my port comes through; will it be a "New" (3rd) number on my account with the 2 voipo beta test numbers? Thus, do I need to fire up line 2 on one of my ATA's. OR, can it automatically REPLACE one of my 2 voipo beta/test lines? (Preferably the one with the SAME AREA CODE)?

Just wondering what the procedure will be for us for the LEAST amount of downtime. For the average new customer, they are normally set up a temp number with the new provider, and the ported number automatically replaces that. Just wondering if I needed to communicate WHICH voip number to replace or being those were ALPHA/BETA and aren't being charged monthly fees, if you wanted to leave them alone and add the ported number as a 3rd number; thus ready to start a "BILLED ACCOUNT". (I HAVE PLENTY OF ATA's so don't worry about that). Obviously, I don't have a credit card on file, normal paying account, etc....

Anyway, whichever way you want to go is cool. Again, I just brought it up in the public forum because I assume there will be quite a few of the beta testers who will want to port, and they will probably have the same questions. Thx.... Mike......I ported a number from VT and then asked Tim to disconnect my "trial" number so I only have 1 number now with Voipo.

VOIPoTim
07-10-2008, 05:00 AM
Mike,

It's really up to you. Just PM and let me know how you want to do it.

Right now, we've just been setting up a new account and then handling the existing account the way the user wants it handled whether that's cancelling it or making it a virtual number on the ported account.

If users have a provisioned ATA, we can automatically re-provision their ATA for the new account if that's what they want.

With mutliple accounts sometimes people have different ways they want to handle them, so it's currently handled on a case by case now with the default being entirely new/seperate accounts.

Anyway, whichever way you want to go is cool. Again, I just brought it up in the public forum because I assume there will be quite a few of the beta testers who will want to port, and they will probably have the same questions. Thx.... Mike......

N9MD
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Do we have a way of knowing if the porting documentation (LOA, prior carrier website printout, etc.) has been received by VOIPo and the port has been initiated. I faxed my stuff several days ago --- and am curious to know if my ViaTalk to VOIPo number port is underway. Incidentally, I'm bringing my main NJ home number over to VOIPo --- the one we use consistently for friends and family --- so VOIPo should feel honored. (LOL)

usa2k
07-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Do we have a way of knowing if the porting documentation (LOA, prior carrier website printout, etc.) has been received by VOIPo and the port has been initiated. (LOL) It went faster than I thought, and I IM'd Tim because I had no clue if what I sent was received.

They should send an acknowledgment so hundreds of new customers are not asking for their individual cases to be checked won't onesy-twosey overload them..

christcorp
07-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Yes, I was sort of wondering the same thing. Not for me personally, but for future customers. if there's a way to tell the status of their port. For me, it's easy. My wife or kids tell me that the phone doesn't work anymore. Or, I get a PM/Email from Tim/Voipo telling me to change credentials on one of my voipo Beta Numbers or for a new account to set up another adapter. I'm not too worried.

Then again, I do not consider phones as IMPORTANT as a lot of people do. It totally mystifies me when I see people on cell phones constantly; in the car, at work, walking down the street, etc... You can't help listen in on occasion to realize how UNIMPORTANT the phone call is. yet, many people think it's life or death. If my home line goes out for a day or two while I transfer things around from packet8 to voipo; oh well. I'm old (46); I remember the days before Al Gore invented the internet; when VHS first came out; before cable/satellite tv; etc... It doesn't bother me.

For the new customers, it should be relatively painless. They apply for an account with VoipO. They get a VoipO number. When they are satisfied they like voipo, they start the Porting Process. Somewhere on the porting paperwork, it should have a box to check that says; "REPLACE MY VOIPO PROVIDED NUMBER WITH THE NUMBER BEING PORTED". Then, the customer will know that when their Original number/adapter no longer works, that the number should be transferred to their VoipO adapter. Thus, start using that one. Hopefully, this is the way Tim has it planned. Later... Mike....

P.S. USA; did you remember after the port to contact PACKET8 and cancel your account???? Many people think that the NEW provider automatically cancels your OLD account. That isn't true. MANY providers won't allow any cancellations or changes unless it's from the original customer. Just wondering if you are still getting billed by Packet8 or if you called them? Later... Mike....

usa2k
07-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Reduced to $5.99 for a month to get to 12 months, then canceled.
All painless. They even give you 30 days to call back and say you
changed your mind without setup fees.

All good marks for Packet8.

quattrohead
07-17-2008, 03:12 PM
We will see how porting away from P8 goes for me, tomorrow is the big day !!!!

christcorp
07-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Is tomorrow the big day that you send voipo the porting paperwork; or the day your port is scheduled to happen? I ask only because I never asked the question, per se, of when the port would happen. I sent VoipO the paperwork and they processed it. One day my packet8 phone won't work anymore and I guess I will then know to try one of my other lines. Or I call voipo. But it would be nice to know if there is/will be any notification process for when it's suppose to happen. I sent my paperwork in a little over a week ago. Something like 8-9 days. Not sure what to expect. Never "Ported" a number before. Later.... Mike.....

VOIPoTim
07-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Here is the current process:

We submit your port and documentation to Level3 and wait while it is processed. It typically takes them about a week to process it, but that varies depending on the carriers involved, volume of ports, etc.

Once they have everything all set, Level3 will provide us with a completion date and time window.

Once we have that info from them, we will then e-mail you letting you know when the port will complete.

We've had some complete in less than a week and some that have taken about a month. Overall, the average porting times right now for us is about 2 weeks.

So the bottom line is, yes, we'll keep you informed and you'll know at least a few days ahead of time before your number ports in. We're not going to let it just happen without letting you know in advance. :)

VOIPoTim
07-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Just to add to this, we have predefined messages that will be added to our billing system that we will be sending to customers as ports are accepted and the completion is scheduled, so it'll be automated.

I would imagine it would be relatively easy to put up a status checker, but it would only be updated as we changed it so I just didn't know if people would feel it's useful or not.

quattrohead
07-17-2008, 08:46 PM
I can tell you Tim is the port master !!!!
He rescued my 2nd number from SR after the melt down. The # came from a local company, One Communications and I know 3 people that work there, no one could help me, TS they said.

The port tomorrow is to PP....its my primary home number and just needs to work with out any complications (read nothing for me to fiddle with LOL) plus at the time I made the decision, we were still under the impression that VOIPO was not going to have international calling.
I do have an account with VS that I use now for international, but again its KISS for the family !!!!!

varaonaid
07-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks for this thread. I'm about to start the porting process and it helps to know what to expect.

I would vote for the status checker personally. Even if it wasn't updated really often, I'd like to be able to check on it.

christcorp
07-24-2008, 03:20 PM
I am scheduled to have my port go through tomorrow. (Friday the 25th). Everything is set up and VoipO (Tim) has kept me informed of the process. (Albeit I am retarded and can't read emails properly when they are sent to me). But VoipO has been great on keeping me abreast.

Side note question????? All of my testing with VoipO with the Grandstream 286 has been with a single phone. Before these were given out, I used some various linksys adapters. My question is; has anyone used the Grandstream that VoipO provided in a "WHOLE HOUSE" type setup? Just wondering if that little cigarette pack size adapter has the ooomf needed to ring more than one phone? No big deal if it doesn't, because I have plenty of Linksys sitting around that I can configure. But I really am liking the grandstream and hope I can just swap out my Packet8 adapter with the Grandstream VoipO adapter. Thanks... Mike....

burris
07-24-2008, 03:41 PM
I am scheduled to have my port go through tomorrow. (Friday the 25th). Everything is set up and VoipO (Tim) has kept me informed of the process. (Albeit I am retarded and can't read emails properly when they are sent to me). But VoipO has been great on keeping me abreast.

Side note question????? All of my testing with VoipO with the Grandstream 286 has been with a single phone. Before these were given out, I used some various linksys adapters. My question is; has anyone used the Grandstream that VoipO provided in a "WHOLE HOUSE" type setup? Just wondering if that little cigarette pack size adapter has the ooomf needed to ring more than one phone? No big deal if it doesn't, because I have plenty of Linksys sitting around that I can configure. But I really am liking the grandstream and hope I can just swap out my Packet8 adapter with the Grandstream VoipO adapter. Thanks... Mike....

I can't speak to corded phones. I do have a 6 phone satellite system, but in reality only the base station connects. I did recently switch to the Dect6 frequency system and it virtually did away with the interference from microwave and other numerous cordless products I have lurking around the spectrum.

Maybe you can do the test yourself....

I hope your port goes as smoothly as mine did..

usa2k
07-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I have a 2-line 5.8Ghz UNIDEN and a I have a 1-line 5.8Ghz UNIDEN, that does my whole house, so I guess I am not taxing its power either. (And they get along great! I really just need to buy a 3rd 2-line or upgrade to 2-line DECT6.0, but I've not seen 2-line versions. And without answering machine is sometimes a pain to find in any decent phone.)

Whole house wiring has not existed for me, for many, many years - its so old school!

HMMMM... http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/RCA-ViSYS-2-Line-DECT-6-0-Cordless-Expandable-Business-System-Phone-RCA-25210RE1/sem/rpsm/oid/210326/catOid/-12823/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do:)

No VM indicator :(

NY Tel Guy
07-24-2008, 07:30 PM
For what it is worth, I posted on DSLR that I am now ViaTalk-free.
I sent them the adapter, they received it, canceled my account and I could not be happier that I am away from that house of cards.

christcorp
07-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the comments. As much as a "Techno-Geek" that I am; and the fact that I've been in the telecom business for 30 years; and that's i've worked for Ma'Bell; I DON'T LIKE OR HAVE CORDLESS PHONES. Sorry, that's just how I am. No where near as good of quality. But that isn't what this is about. Suffice it to say, that I'm not going to redo my phone system in my house.

Now, what I have currently are 10 phones; 2 directv receivers; and 1 fax machine. The key to connecting so many phones isn't trying to USE MORE THAN 2 at a time. Sometimes the wife and I will be on the phone at the same time talking to my son at the Air Force Academy. The key thing it has to be able to handle, is the RING VOLTAGE. For the Linksys; I simply left only 4 phones with the ringers turned on. I turned the ringers off of the others. Then there isn't a problem with the adapter handling the phones. You can always hear a phone ringing somewhere.

I guess I will try it tomorrow when the port happens. I can change around which phones ring and such and experiment as needed. Just wondering if anyone had multiple phone jacks connected. Thx.... Mike....

myvoip07
07-24-2008, 09:51 PM
I use a 2-line Panasonic 5.8GHz cordless phone and the GT 286 is directly connected to 1 line on the Panasonic with 2 handsets. I use dry dsl and haven't had a chance to figure out if i can use 1 line of the internal home wiring to connect voip.

christcorp
07-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Well I swapped out the Grandstream for my Packet8 adapter. I can dial out and it sounds fine. Just have to wait til this afternoon and see how the incoming is after the number ports.

After that, I guess it will be time to call up Packet8 and make sure my account with them is canceled. Looking forward to the port. Never had any real problems with Packet8; but it has appeared that the VoipO line has had better quality. I've taken the adapter to Mexico and Belize and it worked fine. I see a lot of good things coming with VoipO. Later... Mike.....

christcorp
07-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Well, a little after 10am, I called home on the VoipO adapter, and my daughter answered the phone. That means that the port went through. It rang 3 times, so that also means that the adapter seems to be able to handle my home phones hooked up. I will do some experimenting with it tonight to make sure it doesn't become overloaded.

Thanks for the prompt porting Tim and VoipO team. I faxed/emailed VoipO my paperwork on July 9th. That means it took 16 days to complete the port. Plus, with Tim/VoipO keeping me abreast of the progress, I am very satisfied that if this is the norm when public customers come onboard, that they will be very pleased. Excellent job. Later.... Mike....

N9MD
07-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Tim -- please have your people call my people ... er-r-r-r- ... that is, have them check out TT#NXO-321510.

Just in case others might have encountered a similar problem, here's the gist:

I recently converted to the Founders' Annual Account Plan. My correct VOIPo# 973-302-xxxx is shown under the secure.voipo.com log-in. An incorrect VOIPo# 973-208-yyyy (NJ area code) is listed on the billing.voipo.com webpage. I did originally have VOIPo# 561-208-yyyy (FL area code) as my main DID# with VOIPo. Tim graciously allowed me to port the FL # to another provider last year, when it was found that I could not register VOIPo on my PAP2T-NA in my Boca Raton home with Comcast as the broadband connection.

To add to the stew, I am now in the midst of porting my constantly used home NJ # from VT to VOIPo.

So, I'm hoping to avoid any confusion by correcting the billing.voipo.com info to reflect my actual current VOIPo #. And I don't want my FL DID# working thru Comcast to evaporate.

-- Cliff

VOIPoTim
07-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Ticket already updated :)

Tim -- please have your people call my people ... er-r-r-r- ... that is, have them check out TT#NXO-321510.

Just in case others might have encountered a similar problem, here's the gist:

I recently converted to the Founders' Annual Account Plan. My correct VOIPo# 973-302-xxxx is shown under the secure.voipo.com log-in. An incorrect VOIPo# 973-208-yyyy (NJ area code) is listed on the billing.voipo.com webpage. I did originally have VOIPo# 561-208-yyyy (FL area code) as my main DID# with VOIPo. Tim graciously allowed me to port the FL # to another provider last year, when it was found that I could not register VOIPo on my PAP2T-NA in my Boca Raton home with Comcast as the broadband connection.

To add to the stew, I am now in the midst of porting my constantly used home NJ # from VT to VOIPo.

So, I'm hoping to avoid any confusion by correcting the billing.voipo.com info to reflect my actual current VOIPo #. And I don't want my FL DID# working thru Comcast to evaporate.

-- Cliff

varaonaid
07-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm porting from VoicePulse and they don't have a single page or even email that has my name, phone number etc all on the same page. Crazy I know. What information has to be on the billing/verification page that accompanies the porting form? Do I need to print multiple pages from my online account? I just want to be sure that I get it right the first time.

VOIPoTim
07-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm porting from VoicePulse and they don't have a single page or even email that has my name, phone number etc all on the same page. Crazy I know. What information has to be on the billing/verification page that accompanies the porting form? Do I need to print multiple pages from my online account? I just want to be sure that I get it right the first time.

The most important is name/number. If you need to do multiples, that's fine. The more info the better.

varaonaid
07-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Cool, thanks. That's what I needed to know. I may not be able to get it all on one page but I can get the information.

varaonaid
08-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Hello!

I'm wondering how I can check the status of my port? I faxed in the required paperwork about 10 days ago and am unsure of where things stand (other than the port hasn't completed yet ;) ). I looked through my Voipo control panel and didn't see anything relating to porting. Maybe I just missed it??

christcorp
08-20-2008, 11:21 AM
VoipO will send you an email when it's ready. if you want info on the current status, just email them or put in a ticket. (Just like a trouble ticket). Give them your name, porting number, voipo number, etc... They will get back with you. later... Mike....

varaonaid
08-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the reply, Mike. I'll create a ticket just to be sure all was received, etc.

VOIPoTim
08-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the reply, Mike. I'll create a ticket just to be sure all was received, etc.

I should be in the office in a few and I'll double check it for you as well.

varaonaid
09-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Just want to get some opinions from you guys. I just found out my port is scheduled for 9/16. Unfortunately, my billing cycle for that provider will renew on 9/15. Is there anything I can do that you could think of to avoid this? I'm assuming that I can't cancel the old provider until I have notification that the port is complete, correct? I just hate to be out another $26 for a month of service that I can't use.

If you think of anything, please let me know! Thanks!

Rae

NY Tel Guy
09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Just want to get some opinions from you guys. I just found out my port is scheduled for 9/16. Unfortunately, my billing cycle for that provider will renew on 9/15. Is there anything I can do that you could think of to avoid this? I'm assuming that I can't cancel the old provider until I have notification that the port is complete, correct? I just hate to be out another $26 for a month of service that I can't use.

RaeJust pay the bill and let nature take its course. If you cancel, you lose the number.
After it ports, ask the old company for a pro-rated refund.

VOIPoTim
09-05-2008, 01:49 PM

Rae

I'll PM you about this. Since we lost your port the first time, it's kind of our fault that it took longer than expected.

Brian
09-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Are the forms/procedures on the first posts still accurate? I'm looking to do this before the end of the month.

Thanks.

VOIPoTim
09-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Are the forms/procedures on the first posts still accurate? I'm looking to do this before the end of the month.

Thanks.

http://voipo.com/Porting.pdf

We also need a copy of the latest bill or a printout from the provider's site showing name and phone number somewhere on it.

Can e-mail to support@voipo.com or fax to 832-426-7700.

fisamo
09-14-2008, 12:16 PM
A few suggestions for the porting form:

1. Create fill-in fields so that users can type in the information and print the form. Typed responses should be easier to read and less likely to either be transcribed incorrectly or misread. Encourage (but don't require) customers to fill in the form online, print, and sign.

2. The form loads as a two-page document--the second page is blank. Can you drop the 2nd page?

3. End of first paragraph: "The porting process typically takes up to 20 business days." Add following text: " Occasionally, the porting process takes longer. If Voipo learns of any unusual delays in porting your number, we will advise you of the delay."

4. You might consider pre-checking the three statements that all have to be checked in order to port a number in. If you're concerned about pre-checking them, consider right above the signature line, in bold text, "My signature constitutes my agreement with the three statements checked above" or similar.

5. Last paragraph, first sentence: "To begin processing please send this form along with a copy of your current telephone bill, or account
summary page (dated within 30 days) to support@voipo.com or fax to 832-426-7700 to." Delete second "to"...

6. Put a VOIPo logo in the upper left corner... :)

VOIPoTim
09-16-2008, 01:44 AM
Yeah all these seem like good ideas. Have also been looking into eLOA solutions to eliminate paper. Level3 is living in the stone age though so not sure it's going to happen. Would need to generate paper for them so if they will let us do things digitally and then generate a piece of paper that was "electronically signed", it could be a solution.

A few suggestions for the porting form:

1. Create fill-in fields so that users can type in the information and print the form. Typed responses should be easier to read and less likely to either be transcribed incorrectly or misread. Encourage (but don't require) customers to fill in the form online, print, and sign.

2. The form loads as a two-page document--the second page is blank. Can you drop the 2nd page?

3. End of first paragraph: "The porting process typically takes up to 20 business days." Add following text: " Occasionally, the porting process takes longer. If Voipo learns of any unusual delays in porting your number, we will advise you of the delay."

4. You might consider pre-checking the three statements that all have to be checked in order to port a number in. If you're concerned about pre-checking them, consider right above the signature line, in bold text, "My signature constitutes my agreement with the three statements checked above" or similar.

5. Last paragraph, first sentence: "To begin processing please send this form along with a copy of your current telephone bill, or account
summary page (dated within 30 days) to support@voipo.com or fax to 832-426-7700 to." Delete second "to"...

6. Put a VOIPo logo in the upper left corner... :)

fisamo
09-16-2008, 06:44 AM
I like the idea of paperless, too--the only issue there is determining what constitutes an 'electronic signature' in the eyes of Level3. Typing my name in a script font doesn't exactly qualify... :) All in all, a customer-friendly process is the first priority--paper vs electronic comes next, IMO.

tloosle
06-07-2011, 05:01 PM
how about a link that actually works??

VOIPoTim
06-09-2011, 02:57 PM
how about a link that actually works??

Here is the link to our porting form: http://www.voipo.com/Porting.pdf