PDA

View Full Version : Dropdown boxes are yucky.

fisamo
07-15-2008, 09:04 PM
I have to apologize for not thinking to write this earlier, but I am not a big fan of the dropdown boxes in the vPanel. Don't get me wrong--dropdown boxes do have their place. For example, choosing your state (where there a bunch to choose from) is a great use of the dropdown box. For features that are either enabled or disabled, though, why not use either radio buttons or checkboxes?

For example, the Features page could look like this (you'll have to work with me--it would take too long to mock up an image):

(RB = radio buttons; CB = checkbox; TB = textbox; Recording -> VM = Play "not taking calls" or "unblock your number" message, then go to voicemail)

Feature Current Status Options
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Do Not Disturb Disabled (RB: Disabled, Busy, Recording->VM, VM)
Block Private Calls Enabled (CB: checked--uncheck to disable)
[alt]Block Private Voicemail (RB: Disabled, Recording->VM, VM, Block)
Calls
Call Forwarding Enabled (CB: checked & TB: [forward-to-number])
[forward-to number]

Bottom of page: [Save Changes] button and [Cancel Changes] (or [Reset]) button

Have I mentioned that I'm not a big fan of dropdown boxes? :D It may sound silly, but (especially for binary options like Telemarketer Block or "Outbound International Dialing") why make the customer click on a control element twice to change a setting, when the change should only require one click?

BTW, if you change "Block International dialing" to "Outbound International Calling" and flip the logic behind the scenes, it might be more straightforward to customers to properly choose between 'enabled' and 'disabled'.