PDA

View Full Version : Remote Access Features - Prototype/Alpha

VOIPoTim
07-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Here is a sneak peak at something coming on the horizon... This is a prototype and isn't production ready yet. It will have issues and is a little rough right now.

This will not likely be ready before launch because it needs to be cleaned up a lot, DTMF detection improved, error checking added, etc. However, it's one of the things to look for in the future.

We're setting up access numbers throughout the US and Canada. When a caller calls one of these numbers, here is what they can do:

VOIPo Access

At the prompt, enter any VOIPo number to be connected to it. The concept here is that someone can dial a local access number and then connect to a VOIPo customer in another area. This can easily be expanded to include access numbers in Canada and other countries as well so someone there can call a local access number and connect to your US VOIPo account without incurring international charges.

Dial Out

At the prompt, hit *. You'll be prompted for your residential VOIPo phone number and your security PIN (not voicemail PIN). You'll then be able to dial out. Calls will show up in your CDRs just as they would if you dialed them directly using the VOIPo line and you'll be billed for them in accordance with your VOIPo pricing plan.

This is mostly useful for international calls.

Demo: 202-280-2700

There has been discussion about this type of thing before. Is this in its current form something that you guys think will be useful once it's finished?

Interested in hearing thoughts....

NY Tel Guy
07-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Here is a sneak peak at something coming on the horizon... This is a prototype and isn't production ready yet. It will have issues and is a little rough right now.
Dial Out
At the prompt, hit *. You'll be prompted for your residential VOIPo phone number and your security PIN (not voicemail PIN). You'll then be able to dial out. Calls will show up in your CDRs just as they would if you dialed them directly using the VOIPo line and you'll be billed for them in accordance with your VOIPo pricing plan.

This is mostly useful for international calls.

Demo: 202-280-2700

There has been discussion about this type of thing before. Is this in its current form something that you guys think will be useful once it's finished?

Interested in hearing thoughts....Absolutely!

This is one BIG differentiator that keeps a lot of us with AT&T CV because of the ability to dial out and have it included in the monthly allowance - priceless.

This is like having a calling card with no fees.
I am going to test it right now to see how it works.

Thanks
Gee, so what I said in my "review" of Voipo is based on fact after all......;)

EDIT for testing results:
Ok after exhaustive testing (4 calls) I like the feature and it somewhat resembles what AT&T has.

Observations:
1.It passed the caller ID from the originating phone number to the called number. Might be nice to have it show the caller ID for the Voipo number instead - this way users can shield their cell phones etc. from general viewing. I travel for business and sometimes I make a call and it appears to originate from my CallVantage line in NY even though I may be in such remote places as Seattle or Portland - but the user at the other end thinks I am sitting in my office.

2. The calls all showed up in my Vpanel immediately

3. Placing a call to my own Voipo number worked both times

4. pressing * and dialing out worked 1 time (the failures were based on DTMF issues in my observation).

Overall - this is great and the way this feature is supposed to work.

This is a good one. :)

Montano
07-31-2008, 12:27 PM
I have absolutely no use for it. :(

fisamo
07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
I second NY Tel Guy--although I may not use the feature as much as others, I very much like having the option.

Since you're already not planning to have this ready for launch, I would like to point out additional 'features' of such a system that would make it even more useful to your customers:

Tie this system into your voicemail system, once the in-house system is ready for prime time--connecting these features would give customers local access to voicemail when away from home, and it would allow customers to immediately return calls when listening to voicemail (another plus that AFAIK is unique to ATTCV).
Add Phone Settings options once you enter your voipo number/security PIN - program/deactivate Call Forwarding, activate/deactivate DND, Add/remove numbers to white/black lists, etc. Of course, as you add features (hunt, conditional call forwarding--e.g. busy/no answer), you could add these options to the remote access system, as well.

For the way I use my current service with ATTCV, the second point above is a must-have. I use that service with CV to toggle call forwarding all the time (from my cell). Often, I think 'I should have turned Locate Me on before leaving home' about when I get to the exit of my neighborhood... :)

Edit: Placed one call-out on the system, and it worked as expected. Did you use Flite to record those prompts? One observation is that the CID info passed was that of my mobile number, not my voipo number. Is that by design? I ask, because ATT passes the CV number as CID, not the originating number. (Not a complaint, an observation.)

Brian
07-31-2008, 01:02 PM
More thoughts later, but YES - this would be GREAT!

voxabox
07-31-2008, 01:36 PM
very nice feature:)
while you're at it can be have callback service (http://www.liberailvoip.it/home/guida_callback) as well;)

usa2k
07-31-2008, 05:28 PM
Outbound test worked for me.
I called my VOIPo home phone, and it rang, and I talked to myself :)

One flaw noticed is no ringing was heard on the cell but the VOIPo line was ringing.

For me the biggest advantage is calling any USA access number to then call a Canadian number.

Please add CID recognition so I can register 3 cell phone numbers(myself, wife, daughter), and it could just say "welcome to VOIPo, proceed to make a call" ... that would be awesome. The daughter could add it as a FAV5 and always have a working phone when her anytime minutes ran out! :)

For people who want to call international from their phone, this ability could save even more money. If you provide a Windsor Ontario access number, and a Florida ... hmm what was that ... I am really well set! :)

Nice innovation Tim! :)

NY Tel Guy
07-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Additional observations: Dialing into the "system" and calling to my voipo number works 99% of the time.

The Remote Dial out" feature is (to be expected) problematic when you press the * key you hear mumbling (the voice response is either picking up ambient sounds through my mouthpiece) but no prompt to enter the number you want to reach. Then you do hear "enter your PIN". If at that point you enter your PIN, you get dumped.

usa2k
08-01-2008, 05:22 PM
The system is clunky but does the trick. (But I'll never explain the current prompts.)

The ride home from work I dialed up her mother in Canada. She talked for 5:39 according to call history. That would have likely been a $4+ call if I dialed direct.

VOIPoTim
08-11-2008, 02:42 AM
So basically DTMF recognition and the prompts seem to be the biggest problem? This def needs a lot of work, but should come together pretty quick once we start working on it. It's just kind of sitting on the backburner for now.

NY Tel Guy
08-11-2008, 07:20 AM
So basically DTMF recognition and the prompts seem to be the biggest problem? This def needs a lot of work, but should come together pretty quick once we start working on it. It's just kind of sitting on the backburner for now.
Well it will be hard to tell what else is not working unless we get past step 1 which is being able to dial in and then dial out so yes, the DTMF thing seems to be the biggest issue.

I'd say we all need to test it:

1. from a land line (POTS) if possible
2. from a cell phone. The DTMF length setting on the phone may be set to "short" which could trigger a false sense that the voipo feature is not working.
3. test is from other voip services and note the differences in behavior.

NY Tel Guy
09-01-2008, 08:24 AM
So basically DTMF recognition and the prompts seem to be the biggest problem? This def needs a lot of work, but should come together pretty quick once we start working on it. It's just kind of sitting on the backburner for now.As of yesterday, call attempts to this beta/backburner/test number were not completing.

FYI

gatorrobin
09-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Just tried it for the first time using my Sprint cell (Treo 700wx) and it does not recognize my *

Also the initial voice prompt starts at: "voipo number of the party you are trying to reach".

I'm assuming it says "enter" or "please enter" before that, but several tests the beginning gets chopped by the time I hear it.

usa2k
09-04-2008, 09:09 PM
When I tried it before, you needed to assume the prompts happened, but were mostly never heard. definitely needed fine tuning. Otherwise a cool experiment.

gatorrobin
09-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Yes... I don't how much of a need I would have for it personally, but it's always nice to have options.... lots of them for 'just in case' :)

rx100
12-24-2008, 03:52 PM
This a nice feature. I tried to call the demo number and I'm getting "We are not able to complete this call Messgae 12 switch 540". Do you have any 925/408/650 area code # for this feature?

Thanks
-S

VOIPoTim
12-25-2008, 11:44 AM
This a nice feature. I tried to call the demo number and I'm getting "We are not able to complete this call Messgae 12 switch 540". Do you have any 925/408/650 area code # for this feature?

Thanks
-S

This was an alpha feature we tried, but it didn't make it into launch.

It may later, but it's not yet.

fisamo
12-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Understandable that it didn't make launch, as it will be somewhat development-intensive to get it all working correctly. That said, though, it's a great feature, and I'd love to see it come back. When you need the next rollout beta-tested, let me know. :)

rx100
01-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Please let me also know when you need the next rollout beta-tested

usa2k
01-11-2009, 05:29 AM
This is a great feature once it is implemented well.
If it can be setup with CID to work like a cardless calling card, it would fit this longish thread.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21718821-Re-General-Tollfree-access-from-Canada

Brody
03-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Any hope of this feature becoming a reality? What about making it an option in the voicemail menu? "Press 6 to place a call via your VOIPo account".

VOIPoTim
03-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Very soon.