PDA

View Full Version : Annoyance with forum timestamps?

dswartz
09-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Something I just noticed: when you post a new message (or reply), it shows up with the correct date/time. If you edit an existing message, it doesn't. It would be nice if it did, since (IMO of course), the point of these timestamps is so forum readers can see there is something new to read, and they won't see that unless they happen to be reading an 'old' thread already :(

burris
09-02-2008, 07:25 AM
After I have refreshed and go back to the main screen, I see the date and time.

For example, your message shows as "today 9:19am

Other than that, what else are you seeing?

dswartz
09-02-2008, 07:30 AM
This is not an edited message, but a new one, so the timestamp is correct. For an example of what I mean, go to the Residential board, and look at the thread I started about odd disconnects. The timestamp that shows up in the thread says 'yesterday, 9:47PM', but the actual message says 'today, 8:56AM'.

burris
09-02-2008, 08:03 AM
This is not an edited message, but a new one, so the timestamp is correct. For an example of what I mean, go to the Residential board, and look at the thread I started about odd disconnects. The timestamp that shows up in the thread says 'yesterday, 9:47PM', but the actual message says 'today, 8:56AM'.

"I see" said the blind man.:cool:

I forgot about the editing timestamps.

dswartz
09-02-2008, 10:52 AM
It's extremely annoying, since if you browse the forums like I do (looking for new stuff), you will NOT see updates :(

burris
09-02-2008, 10:59 AM
It's extremely annoying, since if you browse the forums like I do (looking for new stuff), you will NOT see updates :(

Knowing how Tim thinks, if it's possible to fix, he will get it done..

gatorrobin
09-02-2008, 01:05 PM

Who updates a thread by editing a post? Most forums don't allow edits after just a few short mins because editing should be used for spelling or adding an additional quick thought.

If you need to post new information later, make a new reply to the thread.

dswartz
09-02-2008, 01:08 PM
If the edit function is not going to work properly it shouldn't be there. Thanks for your (non) helpful suggestion; if you can't respond in a way germane to the thread, save your keystrokes.

Brian
09-02-2008, 04:21 PM
After about 2 minutes, the post will have "Edited by 'Name'", and a time. Editing is currently set to be allowed forever, but as the forum opens up to more people, this may be something that Tim will want to change. The other issue with the time updating is the message order would be wrong - if it's an edited post, does it stay where it was, or move down to be in the new time order?

gatorrobin
09-02-2008, 05:23 PM
If the edit function is not going to work properly it shouldn't be there. Thanks for your (non) helpful suggestion; if you can't respond in a way germane to the thread, save your keystrokes.

The edit function does work properly, there's nothing wrong with it.

And I responded in a way that explains how forums posts are not meant to be updated with new information through edits. Just because you don't want to accept how the normal operation of 99% of all forums on the internet work, then there's no reason to be rough.

gatorrobin
09-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Editing is currently set to be allowed forever, but as the forum opens up to more people, this may be something that Tim will want to change. The other issue with the time updating is the message order would be wrong - if it's an edited post, does it stay where it was, or move down to be in the new time order?

Yes exactly. That's one of the reasons why forums don't allow editing past a few mins., usually 5-10.

This is a forum not a wiki page.

dswartz
09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
The edit function does work properly, there's nothing wrong with it.

And I responded in a way that explains how forums posts are not meant to be updated with new information through edits. Just because you don't want to accept how the normal operation of 99% of all forums on the internet work, then there's no reason to be rough.

Let me see, "who edits posts in a forum?" Well, obviously I do, as do quite a few others here, so this came across as snotty. As far as 99% of forums operating this way, I can't speak to that, but your point about "adding an additional quick thought", if people are skimming the top-level page, they won't see the post has changed. I guess we have a philsophical difference here, as I don't see why wanting the post's timestamp to be reflected in the forum view makes it a wiki. Whatever, I guess...

Brian
09-02-2008, 07:20 PM
There's no reason for anyone to get nasty here, up 'til this point on the forum everyone's been friendly. This is Tim's forum, and if he chooses to allow edit indefinitely, so be it. Either use it or don't. Honestly, I would guess that until this point, it's something nobody's given more than 10 seconds of thought.

dswartz
09-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Agreed. I'm sorry if I over-reacted.

gatorrobin
09-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I didn't mean to come across as 'snotty' either, so.... yeah.... I agree too... it's not something to worry too much about :)

It's all about Voipo and how great it is here :)

NY Tel Guy
09-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I didn't mean to come across as 'snotty' either, so.... yeah.... I agree too... it's not something to worry too much about :)

It's all about Voipo and how great it is here :)I have a bag of nails you guys could chew on.....:eek:

N9MD
09-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Who updates a thread by editing a post? Most forums don't allow edits after just a few short mins because editing should be used for spelling or adding an additional quick thought.

If you need to post new information later, make a new reply to the thread.Now that you guys are friends again ...

I find that I often edit a post here or in the BBR Forums or FlyerTalk threads ... and sometimes my edit is accomplished hours after the original post. I find this very useful, not just for grammar and spelling corrections, but to add or delete or modify my posted remarks if I have an afterthought ... or if I want to take some of the sarcasm or sting out of my comments. This suits my style far better than letting the original post stand and having to add an additional post which will appear a few posts further along ... possibly too late to soothe the hurt feelings of the insulted parties.
-=-=-=
EDIT: I didn't really make any changes ... I just wanted to see who might get p---ed off by my edit! :D

chpalmer
09-05-2008, 12:07 PM
EDIT: I didn't really make any changes ... I just wanted to see who might get p---ed off by my edit! :D

Like water off a ducks back! :D:cool: