PDA

View Full Version : Remove all option on voice mail

gatorrobin
09-09-2008, 07:18 AM
It would be nice to have a tick box or button for 'check all' on the voice mail page. After several VM's pile up, it's tedious to go through and check each one to mark it for removal.

And/or... would it be possible to have an option to set that would automatically delete downoaded VM's after a certain amount of time? This being only if someone activated that option so if they wanted to keep VM's forever, they could not activate that option.

N9MD
09-14-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm still high on VOIPo --- except the VoiceMail seems to be messed up.

Set-up:
My 36 year old PSTN# is permanently forwarded to my primary VOIPo DID#.

The VOIPo DID# is directed thru my PAP2 to Line 1 of a 2-line Uniden cordless telephone system.

So, in our home all calls go out on the primary VOIPo DID# and all calls to our PSTN# are forwarded to the primary VOIPo DID#.

Problem #1:
Whether I disable the main VOIPo DID or I enable it with a setting of 20 rings, callers to my PSTN # are frequently being sent to my VOIPo VM after only 4 rings. This should not happen under either setting (disabled or enabled with 20 rings).

Problem #2:
Callers to my VOIPo virtual DID# face the same issues ... intermittently not ringing thru on my PAP2/Uniden primary VOIPo DID# ... but going to the virtual # VM, even though this is either disabled or enabled with 20 rings. But worse, as many times as I check off Action for each logged incoming call on the virtual VM MailBox page ... and then click on REMOVE ... the messages keep reappearing every time I "Select Mailbox" for the virtual #. I simply cannot delete them.

So why is this a problem? ... Because my wife is trying to figure out why her friends and family can't reach her. They wind up calling her cell phone, then asking her why they get a "weird message" with a phone number they never heard of. Keep in mind these folks are clueless about our VOIPo number ... they are dialing our PSTN #.

However, I have the exact same situation when I call the VOIPo # directly (not the PSTN #) from either my cell phone or another VoIP provider number ... which would seem to rule out any PSTN-related problem.

And, as expected, when I connect the Uniden to my PSTN line ... taking VOIPo completely out of the equation ... everything works correctly with incoming calls going to the Uniden answering machine on the 4th ring ... so PSTN without VOIP is OK, too.

Help!!

NY Tel Guy
09-14-2008, 07:20 PM
And I thought you had problems over on the ViaTalk forum........:p

N9MD
09-14-2008, 07:50 PM
And I thought you had problems over on the ViaTalk forum........:pViaTalk had become unusable by family and colleagues using my VT accounts. It wasn't about one ancillary feature (such as my VoiceMail problem with VOIPo). With VT, registration was constantly being lost ... calls weren't connecting and had to be redialed over and over ... calls were disconnected in mid-sentence ... we would have one-way audio (or undecipherable garbled) audio.

With VOIPo, I consider VoiceMail an area that -- apparently -- has not undergone a great deal of thought or tweaking of late, accounting for the VM malfunctions. As an alpha/beta user from the getgo, I want to make sure that "all systems are go" before the general public starts moaning and groaning over this type of problem.

Is anyone else having the same experience?

NY Tel Guy
09-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Actually I was just teasing - but I thought the BS-Meter graphic I put in after Brendan's post was a nice jab......
And yes my service had also become unusable.

As for Voipo, I am not having the Voice mail issue that you described but I am going to keep my eyes open to see if I experience that same behavior you have described.

burris
09-14-2008, 08:25 PM
When I was with VT, the service worked so poorly that you couldn't tell if the features worked or not.

With VOIPo, the phone service works as it should....I can talk and listen.

For me, the VM works perfectly...I walk over to my answer machine, push a button and listen to my collected calls..:p

I was successful in getting my wife to accept VOIP over the years, but I haven't succeeded beyond that. What do you expect after 51 years of togetherness?

gatorrobin
09-14-2008, 09:05 PM
For me, the VM works perfectly...I walk over to my answer machine, push a button and listen to my collected calls..:p

It's hard to be a physical answering machine for simplicity, and for screening calls :)

Plus all modern answering machines let you call in remotely to retrieve messages.

burris
09-15-2008, 04:14 AM
It's hard to be a physical answering machine for simplicity, and for screening calls :)

Plus all modern answering machines let you call in remotely to retrieve messages.

Mine certainly does this as well as allowing me to screen or access it from any handset in the house.
What, you think I have a 20 mile extension cord when I go out? ;)

VOIPoTim
09-16-2008, 06:42 AM
The voicemail system is something I've never been entirely happy with before. We were actually in the process of replacing it entirely with a much nicer system.

It works, but I'm just not sold on Asterisk being the best long-term solution. It's popular, but it could be a lot easier to use and work better.

The hurricane is slowing things some, but you should see a whole new VM system by the end of the month anyway. It's one of those things that we started seeing a lot of tickets and questions about and decided to push the new one through before launch. Functionality of it won't change at first in terms of what is being offered for VM features, but the prompts, etc will change. Greetings, PINs, etc will stay the same.

quattrohead
09-16-2008, 12:55 PM
The voice prompts need to be quicker, its painful to use now !!!

fisamo
09-16-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm actually glad to hear that. IMO, the primary reasons Asterisk voicemail is so popular is because it's free, it has a wide support base, and it works--even if a bit clumsily. Personally, I can't stand it. :)

Now, if you can integrate your homegrown voicemail system with the remote access feature that you were testing, I'd be very happy! :)