PDA

View Full Version : Outgoing CID

Montano
10-28-2008, 01:39 PM
I've noticed that recently my OB CID changed from 'Fresno CA 559272XXXX' to 'Private Name Private Number'. I imagine some of my outgoing calls are being blocked by those who do not accept calls from 'privates'. Any chance it will be changed back soon ? And how bout having it show my name ?

fisamo
10-28-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't recall seeing this feature in the vPanel, but will there be an option to block outgoing CID per line? Does *67 work per call? If per line blocking is an option (and enabled), is there a code to force display of the number (*82)?

EDIT: I'm not terribly worried about having/not having this feature, but it may be an issue for some customers who are used to having it with POTS. Also, FWIW, my number is transmitted just fine--last I knew, the name transmitted was "NC Caller" but I haven't used my voipo line to call a phone with CNAM display in a while.

Montano
10-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't have any CID blocking on, and I'm calling from one voipo line to another which has always shown 'Fresno, CA'

burris
10-28-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't have any CID blocking on, and I'm calling from one voipo line to another which has always shown 'Fresno, CA'

I just made a call from each of my 2 VOIPo lines to the other and my full name shows up on both.

I am using my SPA2102, and in the setup for each line, there is a field to enter the name that you want displayed.
When I get a minute, I will alter those names and see if anything changes..

Montano
10-28-2008, 05:25 PM
I believe that's how it should work with voipo to voipo calls. What shows up when you call a non-voipo line ?

usa2k
10-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Mine shows my full name VOIPo 734 to VOIPo 352.
I just found out 352 calling 734 goes straight to voicemail and the line is not in use!
(I block numbers, but 352* is white listed .... I think?)

OK .... it was blocked :p
352 shows up (now) as Wildwood FL

The full name for 734 might be because P8 set it before I ported.
(both are GS HT286)

chpalmer
10-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Mine says US LEC/ STARNET to some people including my second Voipo line and Belfair Wa. to others such as Vonage customers...

voxabox
10-28-2008, 08:58 PM
putting on my thinking hat:p
It'd be nice to have such a publicly accessible number for testing purposes

usa2k
10-29-2008, 03:58 AM
putting on my thinking hat:p
It'd be nice to have such a publicly accessible number for testing purposesOne that spells it back!

If it were VOIPo, it could have a promo of "Welcome to VOIPo.com! first.
That would be very popular on DSLR - could be in a FAQ.

VOIPoTim
11-04-2008, 10:58 AM
At this point, Outbound CNAM is still not something we're officially offering. While a lot of areas have it, it's not something supported consistently across the board so our official stance on it is that it's not supported at all.

There are several issues at play here.

The name is not something we can just transmit out with calls. Only the actual CLEC/carrier that owns the DID blocks can update the name records. These updates go into central databases that companies do lookups from. Some upstream carriers that we use support it...some do not. Some do in limited areas. Overall, it's just not consistently supported.

Level3 is our primary carrier. They sell two types of DIDs...ELS and LI. ELS supports Oubound CNAM, LI does not.

ELS DIDs are substantially higher priced because they bundle in local calling, etc. We're talking going from basically free DIDs with usage charges of around 1/2 a cent to going to several dollars for the DID with inbound usage charges of around $0.01-$0.015. That is one issue to consider, but that's not the only issue here though.

Their ELS DIDs require a service address to be on file for each DID. The big issue is that when you order an ELS DID from them, you simply send them an address and they respond back with available numbers in the ratecenter of the service address (typically via API), so if you provide an address in Denver, it'd only let you order a Denver number in the "proper" ratecenter for that address. You could later update the address to another service address, but ordering is initially locked to the proper one.

LI DIDs are just ordered in bulk and Level3 doesn't collect any information like name or service address, so this is a non-issue with them.

This is a problems since a lot of users don't get a DID in the ratecenter they live in. While we certainly were enterprising at ViaTalk in using Wal-Mart/Post Office addresses when the customer ordered a DID outside of their normal traditional ratecenter, that's not something I want to do now.

Overall, LI DIDs are better for our big picture goals even though they don't support outbound CNAM.

1) We Can Maintain Some Internal Inventory vs Relying Solely On API

2) No Updating Service Addresses with Level3

3) Virtual Numbers and Primary Numbers From Same Pool, Can Switch Them Back and Forth

4) Ability to Recycle Numbers

That's really the core of the issue. Now on top of that, many other carriers don't support it, so if we want to add other carriers to the mix we can.

With all this being said, we are exploring the possibility of dropping Level3 entirely very soon and this issue will go away. One of the largest Level3 resellers (one of the top 3) just recently closed a large round of funding to acquire a CLEC and expand it in all major metros and move the bulk of their traffic off out Level3. We have an existing relationship and they approached us about working with them at least as a customer, but possible also as a co-investor partner since we have the ability to raise a lot of capital as well if desired.

We've also discussed some options with Global Crossing and have considered moving there as well (they fully support it). You'll remember SunRocket for the longest time did not have the full Level3 footprint and was primarily Global Crossing and Paetec...this is likely one reason they held off on it so long.

For those of you with Paetec/US LEC DIDs, they will eventually show your name. Paetec is willing to work with us on that, but it's a manual process on their end (and is for most) so it's literally a situation where if we provide them with a CSV file of names, they'll do it, but only a few times a year since it's literally a manual process.

Some additional points:

If your number is showing an incorrect name, we can always get this corrected.

If you are porting in, your number should maintain its prior CNAM and Directory Listing status.

If you have a DID without name showing and it is is a big issue for you and you want a NEW number in your home ratecenter and can provide a valid service address in it, we can issue you a new number with it. We cannot convert existing LI numbers though.

burris
11-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Tim....

What a great comprehensive explanation..

Thanks..

voxabox
11-04-2008, 12:35 PM
how would one find out whether he/she has a ELS or LI number?

VOIPoTim
11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
how would one find out whether he/she has a ELS or LI number?

If there's a name on the outgoing CID, it's LI.

If it was issued through the automated ordering, it is always LI. We only issue ELS manually.

dswartz
11-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Tim, I have a number ported in from verizon. Will that work? If so, by design? By luck?

voxabox
11-04-2008, 03:24 PM
If there's a name on the outgoing CID, it's LI.

If it was issued through the automated ordering, it is always LI. We only issue ELS manually.
I'm not sure what it is. For my out of state parent, I elected to keep the same beta number (703.651.32xx).
AFIK, our home number was ported in from VT; hopefully, it maintains its prior CNAM and directory listing status

VOIPoTim
11-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Ported numbers are ported in as ELS except in rare cases. As an example, Level3 won't issue ELS numbers (or port them) in areas where they don't provide E911 (based on service address).

Since we do E911 separately and don't use their service for that, we have seen some cases where we had 911 coverage but Level3 did not and did those as LI.

99% of the time ported will be ELS anyway.

christcorp
11-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Tim; my outbound caller ID WAS working fine for the longest time. Since the number was ported. I noticed after changing to the 502 adapter; (I don't believe the adapter is the issue, just that I never called myself to check until I was experimenting with the new adapter); but I no longer see an outgoing caller ID on the receiving line. I have a trouble ticket in on it. The response was they thought it got messed up when they put in to FIX the spelling of my name being wrong. However, the spelling got corrected and I remember numerous times seeing the outbound caller ID working fine. Most times I would check by calling my other voipo line. However now, it's just showing my number in place of my name. Being it WAS working, should it be fixable? Or am I out of luck? thanks... mike....

VOIPoTim
11-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Tim; my outbound caller ID WAS working fine for the longest time. Since the number was ported. I noticed after changing to the 502 adapter; (I don't believe the adapter is the issue, just that I never called myself to check until I was experimenting with the new adapter); but I no longer see an outgoing caller ID on the receiving line. I have a trouble ticket in on it. The response was they thought it got messed up when they put in to FIX the spelling of my name being wrong. However, the spelling got corrected and I remember numerous times seeing the outbound caller ID working fine. Most times I would check by calling my other voipo line. However now, it's just showing my number in place of my name. Being it WAS working, should it be fixable? Or am I out of luck? thanks... mike....

Your number is ELS and supports it. I looked at this earlier today actually and there's still a Level3 ticket open about it.

I still don't know how they misspelled it since it was submitted correctly on our end (I figured that was our issue). It looks like once they corrected it, they deleted it or something this time. So we're waiting to hear back from them unfortunately. It will get fixed though.

Wouldn't be device related.

This is another good example of why so many people are getting more and more irritated with Level3. It's virtually impossible to get anything done/fixed without it going through 4 or 5 levels of people. Literally. :)