PDA

View Full Version : The codecs used by VOIPo

usa2k
12-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Unless I missed a web page,
the codec used by VOIPo should be listed on the site somewhere, and explain the bandwidth it will need per active phone call. I think three-way calling does not require extra bandwidth either?

You might have a statement on FAX and its poor suitability to VoIP.

And lastly ... you could link to your FAX service and state how it is really not using VoIP at all.

voxabox
12-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Unless I missed a web page,
the codec used by VOIPo should be listed on the site somewhere, and explain the bandwidth it will need per active phone call. I think three-way calling does not require extra bandwidth either?

You might have a statement on FAX and its poor suitability to VoIP.

And lastly ... you could link to your FAX service and state how it is really not using VoIP at all.
usa2k,
while I agree that codecs supported by VOIPo should be listed (along with how their usage would affect the "perceived" voice quality), I'm certain that 3 way calling demands/requires the extra bandwidth

As far as FAX over IP concerns, I have no comments as it is above my pay grade - all kidding asides, I'm not qualified to voice an opinion as I have no knowledge on how it is implemented besides T.38

Cheers,
-v

usa2k
12-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I know when I used BroadvoxDirect.com the voice streams were through the switch, and it was a single stream from the TA. I do not know the technology of their switch, but I thought it would work that way with VOIPo.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9859724
Back in good old 2004 when technology was all that :rolleyes:

EDIT: Its a big selling point if three-way calling does not increase the bandwidth needed!

usa2k
12-06-2008, 08:41 AM
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21536905-Re-VOIPo-Launching-Monday-1212008
A FAX support question.

voxabox
12-06-2008, 10:18 AM
my, ...
it appears that my knowledge is antiquated:o
nevertheless, ATEOTD, it's the ITSP (who possesses the utmost knowledge in his use of technology and equipment) would have the last say
-v

VOIPoTim
12-06-2008, 01:04 PM
We could add some of that to the documentation.

In terms of voice codecs, we use G711 exclusively at this point. Later we may add some others, but for now we want to focus on that since it's the highest quality and we have plenty of BW.

Three way calling does double the BW usage.

For faxing with a fax machine connected to ATA, we've had a lot of people having luck with it, but it's always going to be hit/miss. The best bet is to set the send speed to the lowest possible speed on the machine.