Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inbound CNAME?

Default Inbound CNAME?

Am I misremembering, or is that supposed to be a standard feature? I just got a call from a friend who has a POTS number, and only the CID number showed, no name...

Default Re: Inbound CNAME?

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    Am I misremembering, or is that supposed to be a standard feature? I just got a call from a friend who has a POTS number, and only the CID number showed, no name...
    I would call that outbound CNAM

IIRC ported numbers, but not all VOIPo numbers are capable ....

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

No, you're misunderstanding. I'm saying HER CNAME didn't show up at my end. I thought voipo provided that. It's fairly cheap to do so, the reason many voip providers don't provide outbound CNAME is because they'd have to pay to put the info in various databases...)

I get incoming CNAM. Has she called before, and did her name show up ?

yes, and yes. same with my dad. same with the town hall. same with my work number. oddly, i just tried calling from work now and now the name IS showing up

Yes, all accounts should have it on inbound calls. If it's not sent with the call, we query one of the regional storage databases for the info.

The only time we wouldn't show it is if there's no entry for it or it came back with no data. In this case, there's an entry if it's shown before so it may have just been an error where no data came back that one time.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Hmmm, well this was the case on several calls yesterday. Maybe it was a transient error? I'll let you know if it happens again...

Quote Originally Posted by dswartz View Post
    Hmmm, well this was the case on several calls yesterday. Maybe it was a transient error? I'll let you know if it happens again...
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. Maybe the DB lookup failed so it didn't return anything, but now it's fine?
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

People calling me from cell phones I don't get incoming CNAM, which is understandable since from what I understand cell phones aren't in the CNAM usually. However, I do get some "anonymous" calls every now and then from people I know, and have had CNAM incoming in the past. Usually it happens very rarely though.

Scott

Yes, but what was happening here was nothing. No anonymous, no 'CELL PHONE MA', nothing. Null string. I think Tim's right, it was some kind of glitch. I do have sources like anywho I can query in my custom context if the CNAME is null, as a backstop.