Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call routing - Private/Blocked calls

I am trying to figure out how to send all blocked calls to voicemail directly.

http://support.voipo.com/index.php?_...kbarticleid=73

The above article lists Private/Blocked numbers as an option for a call route, but I don't see it in any of the options.

Thanks,
    Dan

Default Re: Call routing - Private/Blocked calls

Click features tab and then click "Block Private Calls: Enabled"

EDIT: Does it go to voicemail? Not sure, never really cared.
    Last edited by usa2k; 01-13-2009 at 04:46 AM.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    Click features tab and then click "Block Private Calls: Enabled"

EDIT: Does it go to voicemail? Not sure, never really cared.
    I saw that and thought that was different.

There are 2 features listed in the Residential Voice announcement. The one in your post is "Anonymous Call Rejection", which I don't think goes to voicemail.

I am looking for this(my bold below):
    Quote Originally Posted by announcement post in the Launch Updates Forum
    Advanced Call Routing

Everyone is bombarded with calls these days and we wanted to give everyone a little bit of control. All incoming calls can be routed based on criteria you set. By default, all your incoming calls will get through to you. If you want to change that, here are some options.

What you can route….

Specific phone numbers
    Use wildcards to create custom ranges or route entire area codes, etc
    Contacts
    Entire groups of contacts
    Private/Blocked number calls
    All callers that aren’t a contact

Where you can route your selection to…

Busy signal
    Disconnected message
    Forward to another number
    Straight to voicemail

You can setup unlimited routing options and manage them all in real-time.
    Since there are six options in this list, I wonder if the one I am looking for was removed for some reason?

Thanks,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by orum View Post
    I saw that and thought that was different.

There are 2 features listed in the Residential Voice announcement. The one in your post is "Anonymous Call Rejection", which I don't think goes to voicemail.

I am looking for this(my bold below):

Since there are six options in this list, I wonder if the one I am looking for was removed for some reason?

Thanks,
    Dan
    I think that was removed because it was conflicting with the standalone block anonymous feature.

We're tweaking some of the call routing options anyway and should be rolling out the next verison of that very soon that addresses several bugs brought up.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Great news. I will keep an eye out for that. Having options for the Private blocking might help as well.

I don't want to answer Private calls most of the time, but don't want to miss an important one. Sometimes doctors offices, etc. come in this way, and I would like to at least let them leave a message (telemarkters likely won't do that).

In my search for a VOIP provider, I also saw someone had a feature that intercepted Private calls and had the user key in a phone number, and that was passed to the Caller ID. My old AT&T line had a feature called Privacy Manager that recorded the caller's name and then let you screen it prior to deciding what to do with the call.

Lots of ideas for future features. (I don't even have my ATA yet, but can't wait for VOIPo!)

Dan
    Last edited by orum; 01-13-2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Hit Enter too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    I think that was removed because it was conflicting with the standalone block anonymous feature.

We're tweaking some of the call routing options anyway and should be rolling out the next verison of that very soon that addresses several bugs brought up.
    I was thinking about this again, and I understand the more simple nature of the standalone block anonymous feature, but it limits the user options.

If we aren't going to get anonymous as one of the inbound call routing choices, can the block anonymous feature have options - Disable, Voicemail, Blocked? (And is it too much to ask for a * code to control it?)

Thanks,
    Dan

I figured out how to do this.

If you get an anonymous call, you can select it in the call history and select to send it to voicemail. It creates a rule that has Call From: anonym Send To: Voicemail.

I also tried creating this rule by putting anonym in a new rule as the "number". This also appears to work.

Now all my anonymous calls go to voicemail, but if I want to take them, I just delete the rule.

Dan

Something changed and this rule stopped working for me.

I went and looked at my call log again, and now anonymous calls show up as "restricted". I just added a rule for restricted to go to voicemail, and it is working again.

I thought others might be interested.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by orum View Post
    Something changed and this rule stopped working for me.

I went and looked at my call log again, and now anonymous calls show up as "restricted". I just added a rule for restricted to go to voicemail, and it is working again.

I thought others might be interested.

Dan
    Is this method still working for you? Once the latest hiccups are comfortably in the past, I'm going to recommend my partner port his AT&T POTS line to VOIPo, but this particular issue is a big deal for him. As others have mentioned, my partner currently has AT&T's privacy manager, so he doesn't have to deal with anonymous calls. If your method is reliable (and isn't a coding quirk that might change once they start up feature build-out again) it's a non-issue. But I don't want to recommend he port if this behavior might change (at least without a corresponding new feature that addresses anonymous calls just as they already address private calls).

Also, is there an existing or planned feature for blocking outbound caller ID permanently (with per call unblocking), rather than the current per call block with *67? My partner's an MD, so this is also a big deal for him... blocking his outbound is the norm (not the exception) for calling patients when he's on-call. I searched the forum for this topic and struck out.

Quote Originally Posted by frankd1 View Post
    Also, is there an existing or planned feature for blocking outbound caller ID permanently (with per call unblocking), rather than the current per call block with *67? My partner's an MD, so this is also a big deal for him... blocking his outbound is the norm (not the exception) for calling patients when he's on-call. I searched the forum for this topic and struck out.
    This is in testing now. There will be an option in vPanel likely this week to block caller ID.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook