Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Outage - 1AM Central

Default Re: Outage - 1AM Central

I just signed up on 2/10 and was still sent an HT502 even though I was under the impression that VOIPo was only sending PAP2T's. This is the third time this adapter has not come back online and it's really disappointing as my AT&T CallVantage with a D-Link adapter has never, ever lost registration. It always comes back on it's own no matter what.

I'm running this HT502 POS behind a Linksys WRT150N running DD-WRT v24 SP1 Final.

I don't feel comfortable enough to port from AT&T CallVantage until this is worked out. Tim, can we pay for and get a PAP2T from VOIPo to replace the HT502's? I need reliability now to drop AT&T ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    Perhaps said modem has a built in router? Just a thought.
    No, it's Westell 6100 on Verizon DSL. No router built in.

Operator...I've been Cut off! (Marie Antoinette's Last Voip Call)

Quote Originally Posted by stason99 View Post
    Yeah the 6100 is a real old dog of a DSL "modem"

Was just a thought . Not trying to offend you.
    From what I have read from Tim's posts its seems most of the 502's having problems are behind a router but not all.

I am sure if everyone stays patient this issue will be resolved very soon. The email I received this morning really sounds like Tim is just tired of dealing with it and is ready to move on.

The negative comments some others have posted really are not necessary. They know there is a problem, they have been VERY proactive about trying to resolve the problem, they have not tried to lie about it or deny there is a issue, and they have adjusted accounts on their own for time without service (most companies would wait for the customer to ask credit).

Tim has done a great job of communicating the issues to the customers and I know the entire team has tried everything to resolve the problem. Fact is its not a VOIPo problem its a Grandstream problem. If you want to point the finger somewhere point it at Grandstream.

I like many of you have the 502. Just about every issue that has been posted on the forums about the 502 I have experienced. Tim offered to replace my 502 with the Linksys but I held out because I really thought Grandstream would pull their heads out of their butts and help.

The email this morning seems to make it very clear that their days are numbered if they do not produce a fix fast. Maybe they will. I hope they do. They are going to cost themselves (Grandstream) a ton of cash if they don't.

So lets all just calm down and give them another couple weeks to get it straitened out. Fact is replacing all or even 10% of the adapters will be a expensive and time consuming process and its not going to happen over night.

I personally have decided that until the issues are fixed I am just going to make it a habit to reboot the adapter twice a day. Once when I get up and again before bed.

I wonder if heat has something to do with the issues these things are having. They get really freaking hot. My DSL modem had to be replaced because they over heat (motorola 2210's are being recalled but only if you have a problem) and it never got close to as hot as this 502 is even standing on the supplied stand. My room temperature is 73 degrees. This thing is more than 120 degrees right now. It is on the top shelf here with nothing to generate heat above or below it. That is too hot for electronics. If it were warmer in my house the device would be hotter.
    Last edited by Xponder1; 03-05-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Xponder1,
    Do you work for VOIPo? Just curious

Well, not all of these problems are related to Grandstream. The last two outages were caused by their hardware malfunction and a “major breakdown in communication”. So I wish I could point fingers at Grandstream, but other VOIP providers (like PhonePower) use Grandstream with no issues. Therefore, I don’t understand why they are planning to recall Grandstreams and replace them with Linksys’. It won’t fix hardware failures on their servers and miscommunication. I’m not trying to be rude or anything and I hope the Moderator won’t delete this.

Yes, I am giving them a chance to fix all that, and I’m trying to be patient. But unfortunately I can see that there are many causes of unstable service, not just one. And every time something new comes up….

Yes, I can see that they work really hard to fix all that, and I appreciate that. However, I would praise someone for great results but not for great attempts.

>>>>> and they have adjusted accounts on their own for time without service (most companies would wait for the customer to ask credit).

Not true. I am asking for that refund and so far they denied it. You can try to ask for it and see what happens. This is a reason of my frustration here. Service down for a day – no compensation...

What I really agree with you is that VOIPo has done a great job of communicating the issues to the customers. Customer service is responsive; in general their communication is great. But like I said, this is just talks so far. I really hope to see real results. And I hope you share this with me.

I don’t think this has anything to do with overheating of HT502s. After service goes down VOIPo announces the reason why this happened. If it would be overheating then it would be random and not for everyone at the same time.

Xponder1, thanks for response. I hope VOIPo won’t cut this post.
    Last edited by stason99; 03-05-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Do you work for VOIPo? Just curious
    Nope. I have only had VOIPo since December. I found out about VOIPo from the Hostgator forums in a thread Tim posted about the service. However, from my experiences with Tim and the others at VOIPo I have found them to be very upfront and honest. Tim personally has replied to my tickets in the middle of the night on a weekend. The man is dedicated! I know they have spent a lot of time trying to resolve this problem.

I have also done a lot of reading of past threads here on the forums to get myself caught up on their history. The current offer is a really
    good deal and I am so confident they will fix the problem one way or another that I was comfortable with paying for another year. This offer is too good to pass up.

Well, not all of these problems are related to Grandstream. The last two outages were caused by their hardware malfunction and a “major breakdown in communication”.
    So I wish I could point fingers at Grandstream, but other VOIP providers (like PhonePower) use Grandstream with no issues. Therefore, I don’t understand why they are
    planning to recall Grandstreams and replace them with Linksys’. It won’t fix hardware failures on their servers and miscommunication. I’m not trying to be rude or anything
    and I hope the Moderator won’t delete this.
    Your half correct. You see while the original cause of the problem was a hardware malfunction or a major breakdown in communication 90% of the devices reconnected by themselves. They are set to reconnect every minute right now so they should be hammering away trying to reconnect. From my understanding the Linksys devices all reconnected with no issue.

For some reason it seems they really do not like being behind a router. That is not a VOIPo issue. The Linksys products have no problem being located behind a router. The 502 just gives up for some reason. That sounds like a firmware issue.

As for other providers using Grandstream from reading past posts VOIPo used another Grandsteam device and it worked fine. Just because other providers use Grandstream devices does not mean they use a 502. It also does not mean they are configured the same by Grandstream. My understanding from Tim's replies is that the 502 was selected for 2 main reasons. First it has a built in router (which I have tested and must say I do not recommend anyone use it as a router). Second it makes more business since because Grandstream configures all the ATA's for them. You just hook it up and it connects to Grandstream and updates to the settings for VOIPo. Tim has acknowledged the Linksys devices are overall reliable but Linksys does not want to work with them the way Grandstream offered to. So they have to configure them all themselves.

As for the mod's they are not going to delete your post LOL.

Yes, I am giving them a chance to fix all that, and I’m trying to be patient. But unfortunately I can see that there are many causes of unstable service, not just one. And every time something new comes up….
    Actually, the problems really started very recently. There have been many "symptoms" of the problem and they have been trying to address the symptoms as the have been reported which actually resulted in more problems. Addressing the symptoms is not fixing the
    underlaying cause of the problem. While its frustrating to have a problem a couple times a week that causes you to have to reboot the ATA 90% of the customers are not having a problem. Overall the service is up 98% of the time even if your one of the minority like you and me with the issues.

Continue being patient and I am positive your patience will pay off.

Yes, I can see that they work really hard to fix all that, and I appreciate that. However, I would praise someone for great results but not for great attempts.
    I agree with you. However as I have already pointed out the problem is a Grandstream firmware or hardware issue. If it were a VOIPo issue all of the BYOD folks and the others who have the Linksys would have a issue. I have another 502 that was sent to me and that thing was dead out of the box.

After it warms up if you make a call the moment it connects it sounds like the audio jumps 2000% and its so loud the speaker on the phones can not handle it. Personally I am convinced the 502 is just a faulty product (others opinions may vary).

I like that Tim is always there upfront and telling us what happened and to best of his knowledge why and what they are doing to get it resolved.

>>>>> and they have adjusted accounts on their own for time without service (most companies would wait for the customer to ask credit).
    Not true. I am asking for that refund and so far they denied it.
    You can try to ask for it and see what happens. This is a reason of my frustration here. Service down for a day – no compensation...
    I did not say they gave a cash credit. What they did do and Tim can confirm this for you is extend your paid period for the time without service.
    I will not be surprised if they do again either. You can search threw the forums here and find Tim's replies on the issue that very clearly
    state what is being done for customers. After all this I am too lazy to search for his exact quote. LOL

Oh, and never has the service ever been down for more than a few hours. How long it takes to resolve it usually depends on how long it takes you to check your email and unplug the ATA.

What I really agree with you is that VOIPo has done a great job of communicating the issues to the customers. Customer service is responsive; in general their communication is great.
    But like I said, this is just talks so far. I really hope to see real results. And I hope you share this with me.

I don’t think this has anything to do with overheating of HT502s. After service goes down VOIPo announces the reason why this happened. If it would be overheating then it would be
    random and not for everyone at the same time.
    Xponder1, thanks for response. I hope VOIPo won’t cut this post.
    I would like to see results too. Tim's email this morning and most recent post on the forums lay out a timeline and explain pretty clearly what to expect.
    As for the overheating issue well that is something I just brought up today. I thought of it because of the issue with the DSL modem I had. Model's with a
    certain serial number (which is hundreds of thousands of them) have a chipset that causes them to get so hot they either die, malfunction, or in some cases
    flat out melt. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r217...-modem-is-junk

I only brought it up because it seems everything else has been looked in to but never has the temp of the device been mentioned. I layed mine down on the
    desk and the outside bottom of the unit got up to 140 degrees in a 73 degree room. That is a lot of heat! I have one of those nifty infrared things
    for checking the temp and in comparison my new Two Wire DSL modem/wireless router is max 95 degrees. The old modem was really hot and about the exact same size as the 502. It may have nothing to do with heat. Maybe some issues like this other 502 I have here are heat related. As far as the heat goes I am simply pointing out a observation. Electronics hate heat!
    Last edited by Xponder1; 03-05-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xponder1 View Post
    I would like to see results too. Tim's email this morning and most recent post on the forums lay out a timeline and explain pretty clearly what to expect.
    As for the overheating issue well that is something I just brought up today. I thought of it because of the issue with the DSL modem I had. Model's with a
    certain serial number (which is hundreds of thousands of them) have a chipset that causes them to get so hot they either die, malfunction, or in some cases
    flat out melt. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r217...-modem-is-junk

I only brought it up because it seems everything else has been looked in to but never has the temp of the device been mentioned. I layed mine down on the
    desk and the outside bottom of the unit got up to 140 degrees in a 73 degree room. That is a lot of heat! I have one of those nifty infrared things
    for checking the temp and in comparison my new Two Wire DSL modem/wireless router is max 95 degrees. The old modem was really hot and about the exact same size as the 502. It may have nothing to do with heat. Maybe some issues like this other 502 I have here are heat related. As far as the heat goes I am simply pointing out a observation. Electronics hate heat!
    I think heat may be one of the factors.
    You mention the Netopia/Motorola DSL modem. The first 2 I had got so hot you could fry an egg on it.
    We then found out that the ones with S.N. 47xxxxxxx and below were the culprits and were being recalled when a complaint was issued.

My latest one begins with S.N. 48xxxxxx and it is many times cooler than the older runs.

And throughout all this, there are probably millions of 2210s out there that continue to work.

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    I think heat may be one of the factors.
    You mention the Netopia/Motorola DSL modem. The first 2 I had got so hot you could fry an egg on it.
    We then found out that the ones with S.N. 47xxxxxxx and below were the culprits and were being recalled when a complaint was issued.

My latest one begins with S.N. 48xxxxxx and it is many times cooler than the older runs.

And throughout all this, there are probably millions of 2210s out there that continue to work.
    Ya mine was replaced at least 4 times. My last one was a year old. My mother who has only had hers three months had one of the recall sn's. They sent me another but then when I did some research and found out what was wrong I just wanted it replaced. They have newer ones (but that dsl modem is not being made anymore) that have a different chip and they do not get hot. Either way I did not want to deal with it anymore. Spoke to retention and they sent me a 2-wire free. They did the same for my mother.

They are just trying to get rid of the stock. You could get a newer one or a older one. Some even get a used one *sigh*

The HT502 did not show any significant problems until a firmware update a few weeks back, that's when the dodo hit the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
    The HT502 did not show any significant problems until a firmware update a few weeks back, that's when the dodo hit the fan.
    Just thinking ....

http://forums.voipo.com/showpost.php?p=7635&postcount=1

• Back in December it had rev 8
    • Rev 15 was a bad release per that post.
    • Did it go straight to Rev 21 after that?

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!