Thread: Voipo Porting Mess

Default Voipo Porting Mess

I have to admit I have not been as impressed with Voipo in the past month or so of having service. After waiting four weeks on a number port request from Vonage, my follow-up support ticket brought the response that nobody at Voipo had any record of the request, despite a confirmation from my fax machine that the faxed request went to the correct number and was properly transmitted with no errors.

This essentially means an extra month of paying Vonage because Voipo has no provision to assure customers of the porting process. After a month, customer follow-up was my first indication there was a problem.

Default Re: Voipo Porting Mess

I agree that you really do need to follow up with these guys on porting. That does seem to be an area of weakness. I called them after having my porting request in for about 10 days, only to find that there was an address correction needed to process the request, something I still might not know about if I didn't follow up. Now, I am waiting to be ported. I did call and generate a ticket and was told my port date. I would suggest you do this for tracking purposes.

The issue cost me an extra month with ATT callvantage, so I hear ya.

Take care

I had hte same issue porting a number from Vonage (Address Validation) which then pushed out the original date and cost me another month of service with Vonage.

I since have kept the Vonage number at VoiPo but my other number (ported from AT&T) I've moved back to AT&T due to reliability issues with VoIPo. I don't know if it was the fact that I had 2 of their Grandstream adapters behind a router or if it was the whole continual registration issues for the month of February.

VOIPoLiz Guest

I do feel your frustrations with porting as sometimes it is a difficult process. We will be implementing a porting dialogue on vPanel in the near future, which will aid in communicating commitment dates etc. However, this will not ease the grievances sometimes felt when billing records or information is incorrect (as compared to the previous providers records). The porting process does heavily rely on the cooperation of other providers, which unfortunately is sometimes lacking at best. My only advice for new customers entering the porting process is to verify with your provider what information they have on file for you before submitting the LOA.

I would have to agree that the porting process needs some work. I also was waiting and asking for status, without any real idea what was going on. Once, it was mentioned that there was an issue, but when i asked no response of what the issue was. Number finally ported after a month and having to pay an additional 1 1/2 months of ATT.

I would also say that another number went through without any problems within 10 days. I was also told that they were in the process of making major improvements to the porting process. And I believe they are in the process of doing so.

Better communication regarding the porting process and current status of the port must occur, even without the future vpanel upgrades. Maybe a weekly email (or update to the ticket) to the customer on the status of the port for any customers waiting longer than 10 days for port. The porting tickets should not be closed until the port is complete.

I must first thank Liz nd James for all of their help earlier today. I half blew a gasket when I emailed in to check on my port request mentioned earlier in this thread today and was told that it was rejected (for the second time) AFTER I had been given a commitment date of the 11th. They both were very professional ant helpful through my rant.
    My issue with this is less that it was rejected, and more that the fact it was rejected was not communicated back to me. Had I not checked, I believe that the 11th would have came and went with no porting taking place.
    I am now going to need to pay ATTCV another month of service before this port is complete. The whole idea here is to save money, not spend it twice.
    I guess my main point is that I agree that the porting process and communication in this area needs improvement.

We know. With the high volume of ports going through, there have been some that could have been handled better.

We've just launched a new Order Status system which will let people see the entire porting process unfold and their shipment info as well. We stated using this new system yesterday and I just need to sit down and write up a post about it all to formally announce it and run through it make sure we don't need to add/change anything with it.

For those with ports, you can check voipo.com/transfers for their progress.

This will drastically cut down on support requests with people checking the status of ports and shipments and also automatically notify you via e-mail of every step of the process (and any errors requiring action).
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 03-04-2009 at 07:41 PM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Excellent Tim. This is a big step forward. I just checked mine and it shows rejected for an address mismatch, as I mentioned above, but I spoke with Liz and James today and it is going to be re-submitted by them with additional information. Can I assume that the updated staus will appear soon?

Thank you
    Last edited by kevm; 03-04-2009 at 08:22 PM.

I am rapidly losing faith in Voipo's ability to deal with number porting. A week after following up with a file attached copy of my authorization forms (after they lost the fax), the information has still gone unprocessed. The port control panel shows:

No porting information found matching email and number entered.

This is starting to resemble the disastrous kind of service I got with Vonage when it took months and months for them to get porting done properly.

VOIPoLiz Guest

Please open a ticket and I will address this.