Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any plans for FAX support?

Default Any plans for FAX support?

If I'm reading your website correctly, Voipo does not have support for FAX. ooma, however, does.

http://www.ooma.com/support/knowledg...x-machine-ooma

Can you tell me if Voipo is planning to add FAX support?

Default Re: Any plans for FAX support?

http://www.voipo.com/fax-to-email.shtml

Free file-2-FAX outbound with Residential.
    VoIP is not a good FAX medium.
    VOIPo does the smart thing and offers an alternative.

Some stubborn customers have used FAX successfully in spite of it being very ISP dependent.
    Last edited by usa2k; 01-12-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    VoIP is not a good FAX medium.
    That's interesting ... near as I can tell from reading the ooma forums it's working just fine for them.

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    VOIPo does the smart thing and offers an alternative.
    It's not really much of an alternative if it only works one way.

VoIP if i am correct is VOICE over IP so your lucky they are offering fax service in general... Im not sure about your question... Sounds like what happens is beyond there control...
    iVoIP Online
    http://www.ivoiponline.net
    877-208-2049

VOIPoJustin Guest

We offer both standalone toll-free and local POTS-based electronic fax service, as a separate Express Product (this includes unlimited incoming and outgoing faxing).

Additionally, we offer outgoing fax functionality (within vPanel) as an included feature with all VOIPo Residential Accounts. Incoming fax service can be secured from within a users Residential control panel for an additional cost.

Lastly, as others have stated we do not officially support faxing over VOIPo Residential Service due to inherent issues with faxing over VoIP in general. With that said, many of our users have physical fax machines connected to their VOIPo hardware and function without any issues (we just refrain from offering support).

I tried fax with Vonage for years. Horrible! I tried machines from every manufacturer, went through multiple "fixes" and some would work occasionally. I could usually get 1-2 pages to go through 75-80% of the time. Anything more then that would result in communication errors of some sort.

I do use Voipo's premium fax service now and am very pleased with it. Most of my faxing can be done via email now, but on the occasion I do need access to an actual POTS fax machine, their service works perfectly.

This is good to know, sounds like it is possible

This may come as a silly ques, but I currently have phone service through the cable company's modem, so I assume it's voip. I rarely fax (approx 7x/yr), but when I do I've never encountered a problem. Is it fair for me to expect the same results with voipo?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke Lynn View Post
    This may come as a silly ques, but I currently have phone service through the cable company's modem, so I assume it's voip. I rarely fax (approx 7x/yr), but when I do I've never encountered a problem. Is it fair for me to expect the same results with voipo?
    No all VoIP networks are different and won't function the same. Faxing over VoIP is never guaranteed but may work in ideal network conditions. VoIP networks are designed for voice, so faxing just isn't going to be 100% on a voice only network.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    No all VoIP networks are different and won't function the same. Faxing over VoIP is never guaranteed but may work in ideal network conditions. VoIP networks are designed for voice, so faxing just isn't going to be 100% on a voice only network.
    FAXing over VoIP networks doesn't work. You can sometimes arrange things so a fairly high percentage of FAXes get through OK. You can occassionally create setups that work 100% of the time. These are rare and unrepeatable setups. You need to use a proper FAX over IP protocol, such as T.38, to achieve consistent reliable FAXing across IP networks.

FAX, and other modem applications, operating over VoIP channels are quirky, and unreliable. This will not get better over time. It will get worse. In general, the more sophisticated the equipment gets in trying to make speech work smoothly, the worse it behaves for modems. In the near term (i.e. until all data applications are native IP applications) store and forward protocols, and protocols tailored to reasonably conveying modem data across an IP channel are the only way to achieve consistent results.

Ron Stevens