Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running multiple VoIP providers on my LAN?

Default Running multiple VoIP providers on my LAN?

Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback on how well other VoIP providers "play in the sandbox" with Voipo...the company I work with is going with Packet8 for their provider, and I will be getting one of their phones to install in my home office.

Do any/many of you have Packet8 phones running concurrently with your Voipo service? Any issues that I should be aware of? Thanks!

Default Re: Running multiple VoIP providers on my LAN?

I don't have Packet8 running with Voipo, but I do have CallVantage (on MGCP) and a few other SIP providers trunking through my Asterisk connection. I don't see any problems, but I don't use my line a ton, either, so I could be missing any problems that may occur...

VOIPoJustin Guest

The main thing to keep in mind is that a lot of VoIP adapters and services come pre-configured to use certain 'standard' ports for SIP (5060, etc).

You'll want to ensure there's not any conflict/collisions with the multiple devices attempting to utilize the same port(s) on the same network.

Quote Originally Posted by bretski View Post
    Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback on how well other VoIP providers "play in the sandbox" with Voipo...the company I work with is going with Packet8 for their provider, and I will be getting one of their phones to install in my home office.

Do any/many of you have Packet8 phones running concurrently with your Voipo service? Any issues that I should be aware of? Thanks!

Thank you for the feedback. I think the port issue will be the one to watch for. From what I understand, the phone that I get from Packet8 will not use an ATA...I am guessing that I will have limited/no ability to change configuration. So, I will look to my good friends in support for help when the time comes.

I had Packet8 during much of the early beta stage.
    Should not be an issue.
    If there is a port issue, the the router, or the VOSP is likely doing something wrong with NAT.
    I expect Packet8 will be a solid product and simply plug and play.

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by usa2k View Post
    I had Packet8 during much of the early beta stage.
    Should not be an issue.
    If there is a port issue, the the router, or the VOSP is likely doing something wrong with NAT.
    I expect Packet8 will be a solid product and simply plug and play.
    Good to know! Thanks for the additional input.

On my setup just to be sure, I configured each of my SIP phones and ATA's to use different SIP and RTP ports. I have the Linksys from VOIPo which I believe uses 5060 and 5061. I also have a Cisco ATA186 that I set to use 5066, and a Grandstream that uses 5101. My Polycom uses something like 5068. The RTP ports are usually above 16000 and sometimes are random depending on the device, but I set them differently if I can.
    Scott

I always ask someone how they can have multiple computers browsing the internet if they dont think multiple devices using the same port can work...

I have 4 ata's at work all configured to port 5060 no problems. Guess it depends on the chosen network equipment though...
    I Void Warranties.

Quote Originally Posted by chpalmer View Post
    I always ask someone how they can have multiple computers browsing the internet if they dont think multiple devices using the same port can work...

I have 4 ata's at work all configured to port 5060 no problems. Guess it depends on the chosen network equipment though...
    Very nice analogy.

Fwiw, I have VOIPo's ATA and an old Vonage (Gizmo5, Freedigits) one on the same ports (5060, 5061) behind the same router without an issue.
    Russell

As long as port forwarding is not used, multiple ATAs should not be a problem.