Thread: Simul Ring Question

Default Simul Ring Question

With my previous VoIP provider, I set up simul ring to call my cell phone, but had my cell phone forward back to my VoIP line after four or five rings. That way I didn't use voicemail on my cell phone; all messages went to my VoIP voicemail, and I could give people a single number to reach me. Either the system recognized that the incoming call was being forwarded by a simul ring number, so it did not put the call in a loop, or the cell phone rang for a long enough period of time to allow the VoIP voicemail to pick up. In any event, the system worked, giving me both simultaneous ring and a single voicemail box.

I am not getting this behavior with VOIPo simul ring. The call seems to go in a loop. The phone rings indefinitely, and on my call logs I can see numerous simultaneous calls between my cell phone and my VOIPo phone. It occurs to me that perhaps the call is being continued on the cloned line even after the first line picks up or goes to voicemail.

I read in one of the posts that simul ring is supposed to recognize when a call is coming in from (or through?) a simul ring number, so that the call is not put in a loop. Is the behavior on my line normal for VOIPo, or should I put in a ticket?

Default Re: Simul Ring Question

I'm going to bump this question and shorten it:

I would like to set up Simul Ring to ring my cell phone; I would also like unanswered calls to my cell phone to go to VOIPo for voicemail. Can both be done without putting the call in an infinite loop? This would require Simul Ring to recognize that a call is coming in through a "ring to" phone so that it does not continue to ring that phone.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by caseydoug View Post
    I'm going to bump this question and shorten it:

I would like to set up Simul Ring to ring my cell phone; I would also like unanswered calls to my cell phone to go to VOIPo for voicemail. Can both be done without putting the call in an infinite loop? This would require Simul Ring to recognize that a call is coming in through a "ring to" phone so that it does not continue to ring that phone.

Thanks.
    Disable voicemail on your cell?
    Or set VOIPO to 4 rings them vm and have cell phone carrier set that vm to 6 rings.

Voicemail on my cell has always been disabled, and VOIPo is set to 4 rings. When I call my VOIPo line from my wife's cell with simul ring to my cell, my logs show around 25 calls from my wife's cell to my cell (or perhaps vice versa) within about a minute and a half.

What seems to be happening is that the call forwarded from my cell is being simultaneously rung back TO my cell in an endless loop. If it works this way for everybody, I'll wait until Simul Ring is out of Alpha. If not, I'll put in a ticket.

caseydoug,
    read my sig.
    my wish list:
    1. Intelligent Call Forwarding that detects the incoming call originated from the "forwarded" phone and rings the original destination instead
    2. Call History that makes use of CallerID/Custom CallerID+Location. Call History only shows Custom CallerId+Loc. No CNAM look up; Albeitly,it's a step in the right direction!
    3. Scheduled sim. ring with a twist (see wish #1)

Quote Originally Posted by voxabox View Post
    caseydoug,
    read my sig.
    Ok, I got that, but I was reacting to Brandon's comment here: http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.p...+sig#post12004

indicating that the "ring to" number should be recognized when it comes in. I guess I misread his comment.

So I would add my vote to the feature request in your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by caseydoug View Post
    Ok, I got that, but I was reacting to Brandon's comment here: http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.p...+sig#post12004

indicating that the "ring to" number should be recognized when it comes in. I guess I misread his comment.

So I would add my vote to the feature request in your sig.
    We need to clean up the suggestions so they do not have to work so hard to find them all

FWIW, I think I found a workaround for this problem using Google Voice. My cell phone is forwarded back to VOIPo after several rings via GV, and the GV number is routed directly to voicemail in VOIPo. I haven't tried it that many times, but it seems to get to the VOIPo voicemail before the GV voicemail picks up, and it does not go in a loop. I also set GV to show its CID, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

By using GV, I believe you can also simul ring more than one phone, but I haven't tried it. Of course, not everyone has GV . . .

I still would like VOIPo to develop a more robust and intelligent simul ring, but I'll try this for a while to see whether it is a stable solution.