Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Line and Simul Ring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Second Line and Simul Ring

I understand why BYOD is not provided for a second line that was created from a cloned line: it would be too easy to use such a line in a permanent second location. But what is the reasoning behind disabling Simul Ring for the second line?

With a second line, my wife and I can each have our own number. It would be nice if each of us could have that number ring a cell phone in order take calls while out of the house. I can do that now through forwarding, but Simul Ring is so much more convenient.

Default Re: Second Line and Simul Ring

Simulring to one other number makes sense for the 2nd line.
    Maybe the feature is just a bit new yet?

Using VOIPo services since February 2007
    Beta Tested the VOIPo Reseller Plan.
    A happy VOIPo Residential Customer

Using VoIP devices since 12-2002
    Companies I've tried
    iConnectHere|Vonage|BroadvoxDirect|Vonage|Packet8| VOIPo
    VOIPo is a keeper!

It's somewhat of a cost issue and so people don't forget this is an addon line. Before the official announcement, we're adjusting some of the addon line features to adjust for any with large potential for abuse or high cost.

We also need to make sure that there are still some advantages to having 2 primary accounts vs a primary + addon. If we made them exactly the same, there wouldn't be a lot of value in someone purchasing two.

As far as Sim Ring....when someone has sim ring enabled, it triples our costs for thier calls since we pay for the incoming call + multiple outgoing calls. We had to limit it to one line to make it feasible to offer the addon line.
    Last edited by VOIPoTim; 09-01-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

I suppose a real second account is technically possible.
    Any plans for a Full 2nd line same ATA offering?
    Perhaps it could have attractive pricing?
    Just thinking ... nothing I would ever need considering what you already offer.

Companies I've tried
    VOIPo is a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by VOIPoTim View Post
    It's somewhat of a cost issue and so people don't forget this is an addon line. Before the official announcement, we're adjusting some of the addon line features to adjust for any with large potential for abuse or high cost.

We also need to make sure that there are still some advantages to having 2 primary accounts vs a primary + addon. If we made them exactly the same, there wouldn't be a lot of value in someone purchasing two.

As far as Sim Ring....when someone has sim ring enabled, it triples our costs for thier calls since we pay for the incoming call + multiple outgoing calls. We had to limit it to one line to make it feasible to offer the addon line.
    Tim..

I know what you are saying, but do you pay for the connection when the SimulRing rings to a number that is not answered?
    For instance, although mine rings to my cell, 95% of the calls are answered on the VOIPo line.
    Maybe the same, although I haven't really checked, those calls that ring to my cell from anywhere and are not answered, don't register as a connected call.

Quote Originally Posted by burris View Post
    Tim..

I know what you are saying, but do you pay for the connection when the SimulRing rings to a number that is not answered?
    For instance, although mine rings to my cell, 95% of the calls are answered on the VOIPo line.
    Maybe the same, although I haven't really checked, those calls that ring to my cell from anywhere and are not answered, don't register as a connected call.
    If answered on the VOIPo line, we're not paying for all legs of the call the entire length of the call, but we do have to pay to send it out to 2 additional legs in the beginning.

A lot of people that use it end up answering most on their cell so that means for all their incoming we pay for an incoming call and an outgoing call for the entire length of the call.
    Timothy Dick
    Founder/CEO
    VOIPo.com

Interact with VOIPo: Twitter, Facebook

Fair enough. If you fix the problem with call forwarding via VOIPo Connect, I can work around the limitation.

Tim: a couple questions for you:

I am working with your guys, just eager to hear back and get to talk to you about this.

I have 2 primary accounts, signed up both for a year! Loving that I am done with Verizon, almost as much as the fact that I am saving $$ with you. THANKS!

Can you detail what ARE the differences between 2 primary vs. primary and addon (addon is a virtual number for something like $4 / month, right?).

One thing I am finding out is that it doesn't seem that you offer what I was calling a hunt group, but saw someone use the term 'forward on busy' that likely describes it better. Phone line A & B. I am on A but someone calls me - line B would ring. If I'm on B and someone calls B, it would ring on A. If neither line was in use and someone called A or B, it would ONLY ring on that line. You don't have that, right?

It's interesting to read your honest discussions about costs (besides being educational!) that no other company would talk about. Thanks!

With costs in mind, in a situation like mine (2 accounts), does simul ring to the 2nd Voipo line cost anything? If not, (and this is more academic, at least for me) could the simul ring page allow you to enter a Voipo number AND a cell?

Thanks!

Scattered thoughts:

One main thing is you can't use BYOD on an upgraded second line.
    It has to be part of the ATA main line.

Voicemail is separate either way.

Still, its cheaper than two primary lines.
    Two primary lines can be in two places.

SimulRing is for the main line only
    Virtual numbers are for the main line only.

Its easy to switch from virtual to upgraded and back.

Companies I've tried
    VOIPo is a keeper!

I'm learning the terms, so sorry if these are real basic..

you said 'virtual to upgraded and back.'

what is the difference of these? So there's three ways to deal with a 2nd number you want to port over?

virtual on an existing account ($4 / month?)
    upgraded on an existing account ($4? / month)
    Put it on it's own account (currently $99 / year?)

thanks!